Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Allison 3000 cat-eyes and won't start

I have a 2007 Monaco Knight with a Cummins and Allison 3000 4th Gen. The batteries went dead and after charging, the push button selector shows "00" with X's inside them and about 10 seconds later it shows "cat eyes" and won't turn over. When ignition is turned to start, all dash info shuts off and "check trans." warning flashes and other instruments shut down. Can't start the engine to see codes. Checked fuses and the ones I find are OK, but can't locate the cluster of 10amp fuses referred to in other posts, maybe missing some??? Can I jump starter solenoid and start to see if codes will find the problem.?
Is the 3rd pic the TCM?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_121105(2)_resized.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	230630   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_121054_resized-1 (2).jpg
Views:	523
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	230631  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_121136(3)_resized.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	230632  
plansbybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Hi Plansbybrian; Just put the problem you are having into the search box at the top right of this page. I would suggest you do the same. What I read is that others have had the same problem. Showing both icons that are on your key pad. One response was that the engine ECM is not communicating with the Allison ECM. Someone else posted that the power wire to one of the battery terminals for the ECM and key pad had come loose at the battery. I am no expert on this problem, but this seems to be connected to the dead battery situation you had. I would, #1, see if your chassis batteries are up to full charge and at rest are producing at least 12.7 volts. You may have charged the batteries but they do not have full voltage and no capacity to start the engine. The situation you describe of what happens on the dash is usually a sigh of battery capacity failure or not fully charged. I have seen this situation on cars and trucks many times when the ing. key is in the start position. #2, check that all connections to the chassis batteries are connected. Possible one has come loose or disconnected. If your batteries are the flooded type with removable caps to add water, I would check the specific gravity of the cells. This may not be possible if your have sealed batteries. Without standing there at the battery compartment, these are just a few things I can think to check. See if you have some luck reading answers from the search box. I hope some of this info might get you going in the right direction. I am not sure if Allison has a tech. line you can call like Cummin's has. If they have one, I would give them a call and see if Allision can help. P.S. You mentioned fuses! Do you have the electrical compartment under the drivers seat outside. There is a big black box along with 2 other small boxes on my 01 Windsor. Don't know if your Knight is configured the same. Lots of fuses in those boxes. They are all labeled! The 3rd picture you posted looks like the Allison ECM. Not sure. Might have to look at the back side. It will have ALLISON in big letters on it.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #3

Cat eyes

Thanks for the help 8.3Oilbuner, I think you're right about the battery wire at the terminals. There is a red and a white together on a on terminal to the positive side of the starting battery, but I can't follow it beyond the compartment because its in a large loom and is attached to the frame with a urethane glob. There is no in line fuse visable at all. I've installed new batteries, but I haven't checked the voltage, I'll do that this morning.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

Hi
I just updated my rather lengthy troubleshooting expedition on my Allison HD 4060 when I was having the "CAT Eye" display and being unable to start the MH. Rather than retyping the whole mess here, I would refer you to my posts regarding this issue.

BUT, just to give you some quick info, check this site out: transmissioninstruments.com Transmission instruments of Texas
(866) 439-9779 John
There is troubleshooting info on this WEB site and the gentleman is very helpful in ID'ing other avenues to explore. If it ends up where mine did after months of playing around, you won't find a less expensive place to have your TCU/ECU rebuilt!!! That's a fact!! Any other questions, sent me a quick message.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

Oh, the fuses you were looking for are located in the "VIM" along with about 6 relays. On mine this is a Black Box with about as many wires going into it as the TCU/ECU. These boxes can be located in different areas....mine were both in the front driver side compartment right under the drivers seat. I've seem other VIM's located on the Transmission itself.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

I checked "John's" Website again and it appears he deals mostly with Wtec 2 and 3 but still worth a call to him, I'm sure he could offer some thoughts.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #7

Thanks 8.3Oilbuner,
I had a mobile mechanic come over and he diagnosed the problem to be a bad trans. control module (TCM) I think I probably fried it with a high amperage battery charger I used when the batteries went dead. The TCM was easy to remove as it was in the compartment below the drivers window. I called John and he said the Gen4 unit was not rebuildable, so I called around and got one locally ($622.00) and they programmed it so I saved money by not having the mechanic back to do the reprogramming. I'll be putting it back in today and let you know if that does the trick.
Thanks again
Old 01-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #8

I'm sorry that John couldn't help, he was tremendous in helping me with my older unit. As I was saying after looking at his Web site again, I didn't see the newer unit mentioned but I'm happy you found something in a reasonable price range(if there is such a thing), here's to hoping it does the trick. I certainly know how frustrating these issues can be. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 08-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #9

Thought I would throw this on in case someone else is having trouble with the cats eyes on their Allison 3000. My friends 2007 pathfinder was having the cats eyes and he was dead in the water. We couldn't start the coach, and the jacks wouldn't go down. We crossed the starter, and got it running, but it wouldn't engage drive, even with it running. All these things are dependant on the transmission reading neutral. If the tcm is not communicating, the engine wont start, and the jacks wont work. Turns out the harness on top of the transmission had another heavier cable sitting on top or it. The wear and tear over the years had bared about five of the thirteen wires, and pretty much wore through one. We found the short by having someone wiggle wires in the area of the transmission, while another watched the shifter pad. We kept wiggling wires until we got NN on the pad. Once we found the problem, we disconnected the harness and taped up the bared wires. The broken wire we had to just cut from the harness and shrink wrap a splice to its corresponding wire. The remaining piece in the harness was too short to splice properly without cutting it off. We searched the site for answers but didn't come up with any info other than that cats eyes means the tcm isn't communicating with engine and other functions. Our mechanic friend told us there is a constant power coming from the battery area to the tcm. This lead us to the wiring harness after we checked all the fuses. For what it is worth, all the tranny control fuses on his were in a compartment near the rear that also houses the converter/inverter. We also called Frieghtliner, and they were helpful in leading us to the proper area to find the fuses. Hope this might help someone else. That is what the purpose of the forum is for. Cheers.

Tags
allison, cat