Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #29

I picked it up yesterday, the service center found nothing and could not duplicate the problem. They could only get the temp to rise up to 220. They also checked it with a laser temp sensor and found nothing out of specs on the cooler, lines or the tranny itself. They confirmed the fluid level was correct and no computer codes either on the pad or to be downloaded by the computer and that the sump temp, Aladdin temps and computer temps were matching. They did note that the engine temp gage on the console was not working but the Alladin and laser temps were matching based on the water pump lines.

We talked about the temp ranges and operation of the tranny. The temp of 242 is considered in range and it can safely go up with 260 being in the normal range. The temps can spike up to 300 for a short time and the tranny will respond with warning lights. I did bring up cooking the seals but the reply was, not really... So that to me is fuzzy because the material used for the seals should have a spec range.

We also talked about the use of the pad to select gears while driving and they recommend against it. I have used the pad for steep climbs in the past but normally prefer to let the tranny do its thing. They recommend against it and stated they have noticed more problems with folks going that.

So on the ride home I extend the ride an extra few miles. Results, I had the steady rise up to 225 with a note that as the speed increased (max speed was 62) the temp rose also... It was a bit cooler here and I also noted the eng temp was lower than normal by about 30 degrees although the tranny temps are higher than I am use to.

So I have mixed feelings about the temps. While it did drop back to 180 when I arrived home and was disconnecting the toad and conversing with the neighbor (about 10 minutes), I remain cautious. We will be taking a short trip in a few weeks and I will also extend that run because it involves some hills on the hwy before we take it on the planned 4 hour trip coming up next month.

seand1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #30

The warning against downshifting with the pad kind of goes against the info that came with my coach. Picture below.
However, having said that , after using the pad for down shifting , I do notice a rough shift until the trans re-learns it's smooth shift operation, possibly what the person was talking about , in answer to your question.

The cooking of seals , hopefully would not be an issue, because the temp required would be much higher than the 300 degrees , when the trans controller starts giving you the overheating warning.

I can't give you any insight into your trans temps, because like some others, my coach has only an oil/to/engine coolant , cooler, in the lower rad hose ; and only if I'm stuck in traffic and don't switch to neutral soon enough, does the trans temp exceed the coolant temp.

I will ask if your oil to air cooler is dependent on air flow provided by the rad fan , or does it have it's own electric fan that thermostat controlled?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296 (640x360).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	110008  

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote