Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes he does. I was concerned about how much the torque was considering you are going into an aluminum part. The way they get away with using so much torque is the bolts have more than twice the threads that you will find on a standard bolt. I would still start on the lower end of the range because you don’t want to strip any threads it will cost a bunch to A replace the bottom part as shown in the video or B to put inserts in the bad holes.
Drain plug. 18-24 lb ft
Cover bolts. 38-45 lb ft
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #44

question

I Know I'm coming into this late, but I have one question.

My transmission fluid level is down a bit and I have no idea what type of fluid is in there now. Can I add any approved fluid to the existing fluid?

I'm pretty sure it's the Allison 3000. 2003 Cat engine/Freightliner chassis.
03flstsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Compatible fluids can be mixed, but you really need to find out what's in it to begin with.
Some rigs came with Dexron III in them, but GM has removed the Dexron III spec, so fluids that say Dexron III on them may or may not be a good fluid.
Even if you have Dexron III in it you could just add TranSynd to it with no ill effects. BUT if you have TranSynd and you add Dexron III to it you will need to use the more frequent Dexron III maintenance interval.
Our Dutch Star came with Dexron III in it and over they years I converted to TranSynd and the new heavy duty filters.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03flstsi View Post
I Know I'm coming into this late, but I have one question. My transmission fluid level is down a bit and I have no idea what type of fluid is in there now. Can I add any approved fluid to the existing fluid? I'm pretty sure it's the Allison 3000. 2003 Cat engine/Freightliner chassis.
Mr D's advise is correct.

Is this coach new to you? Do you have any service records and do you know if the transmission has ever been serviced? If you don't have any direct knowledge of what fluid is in your transmission, your best course of action would be to send a sample of the fluid to JG Lube Services and then you will know the condition of your fluid and how to proceed.

If this is a new coach to you, you should be aware that the fluid and filters should be changed based on the fluid in the transmission. Allison's schedule calls for DexronIII to be changed annually along with the filters. If Transynd or equal the change interval is 4 years on the fluid and 3 years on the filters. The fluid interval can be extended by a sample testing program.

'03 was a year when chassis builders were changing to Transynd. A call to Freightliner with your chassis number would give you the answer.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Reading Steve's comment it looks as though you'd be safe topping off with Transynd.
And switching over completely when you service next.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree that would be the safest way to go.
Bill
Old 12-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Damn I love this forum. I finally got around to changing the ATF fluid in my 3000MH. I bought 8 gallons of Mobile Delvac TES-295 ATF. The only hiccup I had was cleaning off the gasket material from the filter covers. I managed to pickup a 3M Yellow Bristle Pad for a die grinder. I found the technique online. Worked like a charm without marring the aluminum. The link to the video and the mention of the magazine article that I pulled up helped me complete the job. Now, I need to drive around and do the next iteration to be able to use extended drain intervals.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
We just finished our first getaway trip of 500 miles since changing over to TranSynd Fluid in the Allison back last August.

The biggest difference that I observed was the temperature change the Allison now runs at versus with the original Dexron III trans fluid it had previously.

In the past, the Cummins coolant temp always runs around 180F - 185F unless climbing long steep grades. The Allison was always about 10F cooler at about 170F - 175F again unless climbing long steep grades where both the Cummins coolant temp and the Allison temp have been right around 200F.

This past 500 mile trip, the Allison was running at 158F, clearly more than 10 degrees cooler than with the Dexron III fluid.

I was towing my Saturn Vue and the terrain had some mountainous grades but nothing like we normally experience while traveling to Alaska and back.

It will be interesting to see what the Allison temperature runs at when we leave for Alaska next year while towing our fully loaded rolling garage 30 foot trailer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
tracking post for the info
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:03 AM   #52

What does a mechanic charge for the service vs buying the filters & fluid and doing it yourself? I don't have a decent place to do the work and then you've got the fluid to dispose of.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
About 4 years ago I called the nearest Allison Service shop to ask the cost of a service, about 80 miles away. They quoted +$600.

I bought the filter kit and transynd oil from a shop in Texas for <$300 and did it myself.

Not to hard, I drained most of the oil from the transmission and then removed the filters. I loosened all the bolts on the pan and then removed all of the bolts except 2 and let one of the pan drop on one side to finish draining. Removed pan and cleaned, reinstalled filters and added as much oil as I took out. I believe it was close to 20 quarts.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #54

[QUOTE=jacwjames;2416594]About 4 years ago I called the nearest Allison Service shop to ask the cost of a service, about 80 miles away. They quoted +$600.

I bought the filter kit and transynd oil from a shop in Texas for <$300 and did it myself.

Not to hard, I drained most of the oil from the transmission and then removed the filters. I loosened all the bolts on the pan and then removed all of the bolts except 2 and let one of the pan drop on one side to finish draining. Removed pan and cleaned, reinstalled filters and added as much oil as I took out. I believe it was close to 20 quarts.

Did you really drop the pan? You only need to unbolt the 2 filter covers. The filters attach to the filter covers and the necessary O rings and gaskets are part of the filter combo kit. If you only change the filters you will lose about 2 gal of fluid. There is a drain plug in the pan of you are changing fluid also.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well it is getting to that time of the spring when people start doing their maintenance so they can head out for that first trip.
Bill
Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I am under warranty I have Cummins and Freightliner complete all recommended services, after which I'll pick up my tools and do like you mechanically inclined gents.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, fluid