Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Allison 4000, Dexron III/Transynd

Hi!

Thought maybe its a good idea to carry a few quarts of transmission fluid with us,,, ye never know.

Looked in the book, says Transynd or Dexron III. Already had some Dexron in the shop, that was easy! Was checking the fluids to day and there is a sticker near the transmission dipstick that says, Refill with Transynd Only!

Of course Transynd is harder to get. Follow the book? Follow the sticker?

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Don't do it... it's an expensive mistake to flush the Dexron out of the trans. Spend a couple of evenings reading the 825 posts in this thread to better understand. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html
Old 08-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lloyd......follow the sticker and buy a gallon of Transynd if you want some on hand. It's about $50.00 a gallon.

As a side note, I bought some to service the trans years ago and had a couple of quarts left oil, so I put them in quart bottles and marked them. They were hidden in a storage area for 6 years on the last coach 18 months on the new coach. I've never had an Allison need oil.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #4

Allison 4000, Dexron III/Transynd

What is missing here in the answer is that you can use either Transynd or Dexron III in the transmission, but you cannot MIX them. Your transmission was filled with Transynd when the chassis was built, thus the sticker.

Go buy that gallon of Transynd.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lloyd......follow the sticker and buy a gallon of Transynd if you want some on hand. It's about $50.00 a gallon.

As a side note, I bought some to service the trans years ago and had a couple of quarts left oil, so I put them in quart bottles and marked them. They were hidden in a storage area for 6 years on the last coach 18 months on the new coach. I've never had an Allison need oil.
Hey Don,
I thought I was the only one who stored a couple of extra quarts of Transynd for a few years and a zillion miles without needing it. Guess not
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

I just went to Brattain International in Portland and got 5 gallons of Fleetrite Synthetic and a set of filters, nothing about Dexron 3 here
The price has went up, now $55 a gallon
On-Highway Fluids
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I just went to Brattain International in Portland and got 5 gallons of Fleetrite Synthetic and a set of filters, nothing about Dexron 3 here
The price has went up, now $55 a gallon
On-Highway Fluids
2 stroker
two years ago, i bought fleetrite from dion international trucks in san marcos, ca and filled/drained 3 times to change it over. i remember it was $36 a gallon. looks like inflation is everywhere
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #8

These transmissions don't consume transmission fluid so there really is no reason to carry it with you. Check the level using the pad, not the dipstick.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #9

Thanks guys! Transynd it is. Odd that the Allison manual would state either. I will follow the sticker.

Also sounds like I need not worry about carrying any. That is really good to hear. However if you ever did need it, your not going to find any locally.

Gonna check the truck stops along our way. Perhaps the big trucks use it as well? I know automatics are more and more popular.

Thanks again!

L.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Thanks guys! Transynd it is. Odd that the Allison manual would state either. I will follow the sticker.

Also sounds like I need not worry about carrying any. That is really good to hear. However if you ever did need it, your not going to find any locally.

Gonna check the truck stops along our way. Perhaps the big trucks use it as well? I know automatics are more and more popular.

Thanks again!

L.
The manual says either is acceptable because they are. Only thing is you must have an older manual because Dexron III is now Dexron VI. Only difference is you have to change Dexron or a TES389 equivalent more often. TranSynd, or any TES295 equivalent is synthetic and doesn't need to be changed as often. There is a thread on here from the retired Allison oil guy that will turn you on to oil analysis and save you changing the fluid when it's not necessary.
The sticker gets put on a vehicle when the OEM fills the transmission with TranSynd. You can mix the two in an emergency but it's best not to. The synthetic is by far the better fluid due to its increased sheer strength and other properties.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #11

Transynd change

If Tom is still viewing posts I have a question. Not to steal your thread but after 8 years 35000 miles Allison 4000 with retarder fluid was changed. I did so out of guilt as there was no apparent wear at 20000 miles with analysis. The change uses over 30 quarts in total with filters. trans pad reads Ok when tested after change. what do you think? OK or potential problems later.
esaulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaulten View Post
If Tom is still viewing posts I have a question. Not to steal your thread but after 8 years 35000 miles Allison 4000 with retarder fluid was changed. I did so out of guilt as there was no apparent wear at 20000 miles with analysis. The change uses over 30 quarts in total with filters. trans pad reads Ok when tested after change. what do you think? OK or potential problems later.
I don't understand the question? If you changed the fluid, you should be good to go. Although 30 quarts sounds a bit low for a 4000. I think the manual saiys 39 with both filters.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:35 AM   #13

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hi!

Thought maybe its a good idea to carry a few quarts of transmission fluid with us,,, ye never know.

Looked in the book, says Transynd or Dexron III. Already had some Dexron in the shop, that was easy! Was checking the fluids to day and there is a sticker near the transmission dipstick that says, Refill with Transynd Only!

Of course Transynd is harder to get. Follow the book? Follow the sticker?

L.
FOLLOW THE BOOK. You will only degrade the TranSynd by topping it off with any DEXRON-III fluid (or D3/M as they're typically sold in today's market). TranSynd is designed to resist thinning out over time. If you add an older DEXRON-III formulation, then it will begin to thin out over time because of the older technology. Hope this helps !!!
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #14

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaulten View Post
No need to change the fluid unless the analysis says there's something wrong. We (Allison Engineering) ran TranSynd in city buses and garbage trucks (worst possible duty) for many many miles and many many hours. TranSynd is absolutely stable against oxidation or shearing (thinning out). It's designed to run up to 300,000 miles in RVs with Allison High Capacity filters and 3000/4000 Series transmissions and up to 150,000 miles in RVs with the 1000/2000 Series.

Hope this helps !!!

Here's something you may want to read: Automatic Transmission Fluid Analysis | JG LUBRICANT SERVICES
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison