RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allison 6-speed NEVER serviced!, now what?

Read most of these threads and none address this question. I'm now looking for a used MH to purchase...I found one, a 95 Safari Sahara, Cummins 230hp w/Allison 6-speed, 91,000 miles on it. It's located 500 miles away from where I live. After looking at many photos, then several phone calls I was ready to make an offer, subject to my personal on-site inspection when I discovered that the Allison has NEVER been serviced after the original 5000 mile service. It still has the Dexron and filters that were installed at 5000 miles, and now have 86,000 miles on them! Everything thing else was serviced regularly....every 6,000 miles, but not the Allison! Owner has a "thing" about changing Transmission fluids. What, if any damage may have been done to the Allison? Owner assures me that he has never had any trouble with the Allison. The MH is used at least once a month for week-end events and usually tows a full-size car. Any advice or comments would be very helpful. Thanks, Rook

Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
230 HP should be a first concern !!! Unless you are only gonna use it in Florida or Texas and even then not tow a toad !

I would continue the search and allow the owner to keep his "thing" and avoid the grief to come.

MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

I would insist that the fluid and filter(s) be changed by an experienced transmission shop where they could evaluate the condition of the old fluid for contamination, burning, oxidation, etc.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Allison builds an almost bullet proof transmission. Naturally I would want the fluid and filters changed at an Allison approved shop. At that age and milage I would be hesitant to change over to a synthetic and would probably stick with the Dexron as you could start to see leaking seals. My bigger concern would be with the engine size. A good rule of thumb is 1 horsepower for every 100 pounds. You need to figure out the weight of the coach, how much gear you would take and the weight of your toad to see where you would stand.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Brian that Allsion is bulletproof. What I would recommend is taking a sample of the tranny fluid and send it to Blackstone labs and have an analysis done on it. I am sure it will be OK. I had 125,OOO miles on my previous MH and the previous owner said he serviced the tranny but I never really believed him. At 100,000 miles I changed the fluid and also had it analyzed and they found nothing wrong with it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. The owner has gotten a bit "testy" after my last communication with him on this subject......so I have decided to look for another coach.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #7

I would keep looking also if the the owner is getting testy about questioning 86,000 miles on a 16 year old coach that has only had the fluid changed once seeing as how Allison recommends changing fluid/filters annually if it is using Dexron. That means it has missed at least 15 changes.

Run, don't walk, and keep looking.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tend to agree with changing transmission fluid in cars, but I don't know about Allison transmission. It is almost a proven fact, that more contaminants will enter the transmission during fluid changes. How many people here, really filter the fluid while it is entering the transmission? Contaminants from bottles or cans, & the funnel that is used to fill. How many shops filter their oil during servicing vehicles?

Do you really know?
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #9

4 years ago we bought a 1996 american eagle with a 300 cummins and an allison trans decided to take it to an allison shop and have the fluid changed and serviced. When they pulled the pan it still had the original filters in it. All was fine and never had any problems .They said maybe at about 800,000 miles you may start having problems but in general they are pretty bullit proof. As he said they put these in trash trucks and nothing takes a beating like they do and they rarley have problems.
a1elect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #10

Too bad Allison doesn't take that stand instead of recommending with Dexron the change should be 12 months/25,000 miles. It would sure save us owners lots of time and money. I'd certainly agree using a considerable longer duration between changes except with an Extended Warranty they'd just love to prove you didn't adhere to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Wagonmaster2

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote