RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Allison MD3060 no lights on touch pad

94 Holiday Rambler with 8.3 Cummins. Uable to start coach when key first turned to start. Touch pad nuteral lights will start flashing then I can start but will not shift! I can hear a relay go off then lights go out. I keep turning key on and off and eventually the lights will stay on and normal operation begins. This only happens when it is cold. If I put heat lamp on under the dash by the touch pad after a short time the lights stay and trannie will shift. Any one have any ideas? I think I can hear a relay going on and off under the dash but can not see one.
hoke

hoke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try hoseing the ign switch with 02005 -- 2-26® Multi-Purpose Precision Lubricant, 11 Wt Oz
Get as much into the switch as you can and get any wire conectors you can see. The product won't hurt plastics and really helps electrical conections. Put a old towel underneath it to catch the drips and cycle the key a lot. If that dosen't do it spray everything you can with out making to much of a mess. It has fixed so many electrial things for me that it's the first thing I reach for when trouble shooting. If you do one area at a time you can usually isolate the problem area and take it from there!

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj View Post
Try hoseing the ign switch with 02005 -- 2-26® Multi-Purpose Precision Lubricant, 11 Wt Oz
Get as much into the switch as you can and get any wire conectors you can see. The product won't hurt plastics and really helps electrical conections. Put a old towel underneath it to catch the drips and cycle the key a lot. If that dosen't do it spray everything you can with out making to much of a mess. It has fixed so many electrial things for me that it's the first thing I reach for when trouble shooting. If you do one area at a time you can usually isolate the problem area and take it from there!
Yaji
Thanks for the info on CRC. I have used this for years, but never thought about spraying into inigition switch. The label on the can says let dry for 4 to 6 hours before energizing circuit. Do you mean spray straight into the switch where the key goes when you say hoseing?
hoke
Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

I believe I read somewhere that the connector under the selection pad can sometimes come loose.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #5

Hi Dave. I checked and they all seem very tight. So far I can only think I have a relay failing because the lights come on then I hear a click of a relay and they go out. Can't find or see the breaker but it sounds like it is right there under the dash.
Thanks for your thoughts!
hoke
Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spray right into the switch, the contacts on the back and around the back to help it get in anywhere it can. I don't wait for it to dry, I start moving things as soon as possible to help it work it's way in to the contacts, and it dosen't hurt to get it really wet, hence the towel!

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #7

Have tried all but no luck. Have come to the conclusion that the ECU needs to be rebuilt. By putting a heat gun on the ECU and warming it up in just a few minutes the display lights become steady and evrything works perfect. The problem will not duplicate till the next day or when temp gets below 45 degrees. I did call John at transmission Instruments in Texas and he also said with the ECU responding to heat that is where we have to start. I thank every body for your help and will let you all know what happens!
hoke 94 HR Imperial 8.3 Cummins
Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

Allison 6 speed ECU Fixed motor will start

For those who have had trouble when the ECU lights flash or are out especially when it is cold and the engine will not start. My mechanic checked every thing and came to the conclusion that the problem lay inside the ECU. I contacted John at Transmission Instruments in Texas and he stated that most of these ECM's when they get old need to be overhauled. Of course Allison will sell you a new one for thousands of dollars. John can rebuild them at a fraction of that cost. I shipped air this last Thursday eve from Fallbrook CA and he had it rebuilt and back to me in 4 days. Not bad since it is the Christmas Holidays! The mechanic plugged it in; we turned on the power, all the lights lit up on the dash & the ECU touch panel and it started. John is worth a wealth of information on this subject. His phone number is 866-439-9779.
Transmission Instruments on the web!
hoke

Tags
allison, lights