Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Allison MT643 Bellhousing Cracks

Hello,
I have a 1991 Dynasty 36ft class A pusher powered by a 6CTA8.3 250hp thru a MT643 which I purchased in 2009. No power mods and it runs, drives & shifts great. Last year I noticed some cracks around some of the bellhousing bolts. I hate to admit this but I completely forgot about them until I was lubing the driveshaft this spring. Nothing has changed and we have used it several times even towing our toad. There is no trans support, only two side engine mounts and one front (rear) engine mount. Seems like alot of unsupported weight hanging there. The lower bellhousing bolts are fine, for all I know these cracks might have been there since I bought it!
Anybody heard of this before?
Thanks, Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Not being a transmission guy, no I have not heard this before but, I certainly would get it looked at by a Allison shop. I can't see it being overly expensive to have a replacement bellhousing installed.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Martin, I have a feeling these are nothing new and the only reason I noticed them was because I replaced the intake hose which exposed the top of the trans & engine block as my air filer housing is at the rear of the Cummins mounted on the front firewall next to the hydraulic reservoir. Nothing surprises me anymore!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

The MT643 did not require a rear mount. It's acceptable to be overhung as you described. The only time I've heard of cracking around the converter housing to engine flywheel housing mounting bolts is if they were left loose at some time in the past. I would pull one out and see if the hole is egg-shaped. That's a sure sign the bolts were loose at some time.
Keep in mind that housing is a cast housing and they often show casting lines that are mistaken for cracks.
One thing that can possibly cause cracks in the housing is driveline irregularities. Make sure the u-joints are tight and lubricated properly and the shaft is properly phased. Just a suggestion.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with dbarton291

I would check for loose bolts and see if there is any deformation in the holes. I would check the torque on the bolts, if all of them are tight then you should be OK.

I would think that if there was a problem with the drive shaft or U-joints you would know unless it was with the previous owner.

One thing you could try is to take some JB Weld and put it on the outside of the holes that are cracked and then monitor it to see if it cracks, this would at least tell you if the bell housing is flexing.

I worked in the mining industry, we did have some luck in a case like this of welding the holes up and retapping.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
Keep in mind that housing is a cast housing and they often show casting lines that are mistaken for cracks.
That's what I was thinking too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
One thing you could try is to take some JB Weld and put it on the outside of the holes that are cracked and then monitor it to see if it cracks, this would at least tell you if the bell housing is flexing.
I really appreciate all of the input, especially the JB Weld idea. I removed some bolts, checked & found no "egg shaped" holes. Went on a very short trip last weekend and had no trouble. Next week we are going on another semi-short trip so I will try the JB Weld trick and check it when return to see if there is any movement. This time we will be towing my wifes PT Cruiser and even though we can't even feel it back there it will put additional stress on the bellhousing bolts and give me the JB Weld a good test. I guess I'll know more by the 13th of July!

Have a Safe & Happy 4th of July Holiday!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #8

Bellhousing cracks

I'm sure you've closely examined these cracks, but is it possible that they are "wrinkles" in the bell housing casting?
It's not uncommon to see there wrinkles in larger aluminum castings. They're caused but the liquid aluminum rapidly cooling on the surface as the foundry pour solidifies.
There can be surface wrinkling "inies" or 'outies"
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
The MT643 did not require a rear mount. It's acceptable to be overhung as you described. The only time I've heard of cracking around the converter housing to engine flywheel housing mounting bolts is if they were left loose at some time in the past. I would pull one out and see if the hole is egg-shaped. That's a sure sign the bolts were loose at some time.
One thing that can possibly cause cracks in the housing is driveline irregularities. Make sure the u-joints are tight and lubricated properly and the shaft is properly phased. Just a suggestion.
Yes im a trans tech for 30 years many people mistake casting marks for cracks,ive even been mistaken.See if something thin will go in the crack.If it was cracked on several bolts i think it would keep breaking (getting worse) since there is no mount. Just a thought.
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes im a trans tech for 30 years many people mistake casting marks for cracks,ive even been mistaken.See if something thin will go in the crack.If it was cracked on several bolts i think it would keep breaking (getting worse) since there is no mount. Just a thought
Since I posted this we have taken my coach on several weekend trips which includes many very steep Massachusetts hills while towing my wife's 3500lb PT Cruiser and had no trouble! Had these been true "cracks" I'm sure that trans would have suffered a catastrophic failure! So I'm hoping I can put this to rest! (and keep my fingers crossed)
Thanks to all who helped,
Ken

Tags
allison