Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #29

Here's an article I wrote some time ago on exactly that topic. An Innovative Idea For RV Transmission Control
Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your article expresses my exact ergonomic sentiments.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
This allows the probability of sitting on the side of the road in the mountains waiting for the eng to cool down because it wasnt down shifted. How about toasting the brakes going down hill by not downshifting soon enough. There are several tutorials on this forum about proper shifting techniques ; I recommend you use the search feature.
Never had that problem, Mine does everything by it self in conjunction with the Engine Break
Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #32

Probably a lot to do with power to weight ratio.
From the Allison users manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297 (360x640).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	67974  
Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Plan B: Relocate the Shifter

Having given up on hacking the keypad, I've decided to evaluate the feasibility of relocating the shifter to the driver's side horizontal console below the window. (That's one of the locations I considered prime for placing an easily reached, hacked-in rocker switch for up/down shifting.) To work, the shift panel would have to be positioned face up directly below my left hand when I lower it to the console.

I'll take some pix of my Plan B idea and post those by the weekend.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #34

I know there's enough wiring to get it there , but I've got the drivers door option , so it wouldn't work ; in my case .
Then there's my co-ordination in the left hand .
I have enough trouble with turn signals wipers and exhaust brake on that side., see , even have to smack myself in the head with my right hand.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #35

yes you can do this ... there is a after market unit out there for HD stuff but pricy

think i seen 2000$ for the system and its not made by allison but is made to be installed in one

its its own pad and servo and its DOT friendly

the allison key pad is a plug and play unit .. if your year RV every had a unit like this installed for the chassis for that year then you can swop out to the 3 plug TCM and install the pad ... thats for the 3ed gen TCMs

but i think your RV may be to old for 3ed gen units .. i am not sure
i looked in to it on my RV and have the dys some where for it

it was some thing like this
http://www.emc-digi.com/explore.cfm/smartshift/
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Never had that problem, Mine does everything by it self in conjunction with the Engine Break
What's an Engine Break? You have something that automatically breaks the engine? I've heard of an engine brake, that helps slow you down. An engine break? I guess it creates business for the repair shop?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #37

[QUOTE=BFlinn181;2139831]What's an Engine Break? You have something that automatically breaks the engine? I've heard of an engine brake, that helps slow you down. An engine break? I guess it creates business for the repair shop? [/QUOTE

Oops, Brake, the nerve running from what's left of my brain doesn't always make the finger hit the right key at the right time, that's the only excuse I have...
Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Now back to paddle shifting: Plan B Update

It turns out that relocating the shifter to the driver's side horizontal console below the window is not feasible; the molded surface is not flat. I cannot imagine an adaptation that wouldn't look like crap. And I haven't even thought about what I would do with the hole that remains in the stock location.

Oh well.

Conclusion: I can't hack the Allison keypad, don't want to spend thousands on another solution (if one exists), and can't relocate the keypad in an aesthetically pleasing installation.

Apparently my dream of ergonomic downshifting has gone up in smoke.

Give me a break (or is it brake?).
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #39

There, their , they're, don't get the proper English thing started.
Break is right or is it wright?
Sorry things didn't work out.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #40

I for one , salute your sense of adventure, and willingness to try and do something different, just think of where we would all be without people like you. And, I am just guessing, but I bet you are not REALLY done with the subject, I imagine it still holds a small place in your mind that you might return to at a later date.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #41

So do the keypad switched interface with the controller board via a connector? If so, that's the place to hack in. Buy a mating pair and wire the paddles in parallel with the existing up/down switches. If the switches are soldered directly to the controller board then you have to make connections with wires to the backside of the controller board below the switches. Should still work.

Conformal coat is usually a cheap lacquer and should come off with acetone or lacquer thinner and can be re-coated with anything clear out of a spray can. I've never seen anyone but the military or some other oddball high-moisture environment parts use urethane.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #42

for the left over hole

you can go on line and download many free 3D Pinter programs .. make your own file/ part of any shape or type

and make any thing to go back in the hold like a beep box for placing things in like your cell phone or AC vent hold for dash air .. 12v dc power plug any thing you want
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison