RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allison Push Button shift selector - blank display

Have 2000 National Tradewinds with Caterpillar 3126B, Allison MD/HD/B Series Transmission (WTEC III Controls) on Freightliner chassis with 100,900 miles. Caterpillar mechanic replaced the injection actuation pressure sensor and valve based on error codes from engine. The chassis batteries went dead during the three month period before I returned to RV. I fully recharged them. After doing so, the Allison push button selector is "dead" (display blank, only a red light by mode switch "on"). All the dash lights come on during the startup check and all go out except for the "CHECK TRANS", "LOW AIR", and "OIL PRESSURE" lights. According to Freightliner help desk, I must have power to the shift selector or the engine will not start. Well, I've explored all the chassis fuses and relays both back by the transmission and in the driver's compartment that I can find. All fuses are good, relays "look" OK, can't readily test them but did swap "neutral start" and "neutral sense" with new relays. In exploring the wiring based on drawings from Freightliner, it appears that the shift panel only connects to the ECU (gray connector) so I'm guessing that the ECU is NOT supplying the necessary power to the shift panel, therefore it's unable to communicate to the ECM that the transmission is in neutral, and therefore, everything is "locked" out. BTW, yes I did check the battery voltage - it's about 12.6 with nothing on, 13.2 with charger running.

Has anybody had this problem (remember, with the display dead there are no error codes) and do you have any suggestions? Are there any other TCM power supplies links I need to find and check? I'm about 100+ miles from nearest repair facility and trying to get my rig running to avoid a long tow with whatever damage that might possibly cause. Thx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

sounds like he left something disconnected

Old 11-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the same problem, did you manage to solve this?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Maybe a fuse in the transmission VIM blew. There are some 10A fuses in there. See photo. On my coach the VIM is located in the front electric bay.

Mechanic working on your coach may have pinched a wire or something causing it to blow.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison Transmission ECU and VIM.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	225195  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had similar problem with my 07 but it was only a corroded connection under the coach driver's side - I think behind the rear tires. Took them all of 30 minutes to complete the work at Shebonna Creek RV, Atkinson, IL. Have had no further problems with mine.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, still working on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Maybe a fuse in the transmission VIM blew. There are some 10A fuses in there. See photo. On my coach the VIM is located in the front electric bay.

Mechanic working on your coach may have pinched a wire or something causing it to blow.

Good luck.
Thanks! I have the electrical diagrams from Freightliner and located the 10amp fuses with a bunch of relays. Have probably located just about every fuse and relay in the coach and underneath. All check good, the 10amp fuses have 12v on both sides of fuse with ignition on. Seems like a loose/corroded wire or something inadvertently knocked loose. Mechanic coming back out and we'll crawl under the rig for a more thorough inspection. Seems odd, though, that the Mode light on the push button shifter panel is lit up when I turn the ignition on. I would think that would mean that the shifter is getting power, have no idea why the display is totally blank.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not yet, stay tuned!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Allison blank display fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
I have the same problem, did you manage to solve this?
YES, finally! Because of weather delays and availability of a qualified mechanic willing to travel to my RV I just got this fixed three days ago.
Unfortunately for me, it wasn't the simple fix of a fuse, bad wire, corrosion, etc. The display itself was bad. Mechanic rechecked my work on fuses, etc. then decided to swap out the push button shift display with his test unit before digging deeper. He unplugged my original, plugged his in, and the old girl sprang to life!
I now have a brand new one installed ($1,086 part price for those wondering), and my RV is finally drivable.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for completing the answer to this problem!

Tags
allison