Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #1

Allison shudders when down shifting into 1st

I have wondered what could be going on with my Allison 4060 in a 94 signature. The symptoms that I have noticed are, when cold, the transmission shifts into the lower gears a bit harshly, but does do so, no chatter. As it warms up, it down shifts less harshly but when nearly up to operating temp I notice sometimes when down shifting into 1st a momentary chatter. At first I thought it was a gear grind, but I understand that can't be, because all the gear changes are done by energizing different clutches at the right time. I have notice when cold the shift from first to second is a little more crisp that one might like, but smooths out as it warms up and is fine at mid temp to fully warmed up.

I thought maybe it was the fluid, so I had a fluid change and filters to transyne. After which it behaved exactly the same. The motor home has just 80k on it.

So could it be that I have a selonoide acting a bit sluggish? I haven't owned this unit very long and when I first had the unit this problem I think was unnoticed, it wasn't till we spent a month in the mh driving in cities etc parks and various situations that I realize this was happening. I also notice that if I get on a freeway and drive long enough that the unit gets fully warmed up the problem doesn't show. So it seems to only show when unit is warm but not fully up to temp. I have tried to look for code--- none showing now.

Last the transmission seems to work well in all other functions. up shifts are good seem to be at the right rpm.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Could be you have the start of a first gear failure due to , the piston the pushes onto the clutch pack binding in the bore, or the seal ring on the piston , being cut or worn and not sealing properly, till hot.
Another member posted pictures of his entire Allison trans rebuild, I'll see if any of hispictures , show these parts in detail and guide you to them.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #3

Post is
Allison md3060 rebuild,
By TRAILERKING
The post is about 1/3 the way down the Allison forum page, look at the 8th picture shows the type of seal ring ( black ring in the aluminum hub ) that may be the cause of your shuddering problem.
A solenoid problem cannot be completely ruled out, but , usually they are not temp sensitive.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Possibly someone can give me some information regarding my unit. I have the Allison 6 speed tranny in my motorhome and shifting up from 1 to 6 is great, shifting down from 6 to 2 is great, then a sort of clunk into 1. I have been told there is a correlation between engine RPM and torque converter set up. The unit runs just great but from 2 down to 1, this noise and a very abrupt slow down motion.

Any suggestions short of a rebuild. Thanks to all of you knowledgeable individuals.
Vintage Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Vintage Guy, looks like you entered some of your personal info, phone number etc. into the "Edit signature " area at sign up time , because I can't see any of your coach info.
Year , engine , coach brand.
Do you have any service records on the coach , trans in particular ?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Allison Transmission Shudders

Thank you for the response.

At this time, I do not have a lot of information regarding this unit.

My motorhome is a 1994 Newmar, Dutch Star model, 300 Cummins diesel, 6 speed Allison with economy mode transmission. I bought it but had to leave it at home in S.C. as my job took me out of town, possibly until October. The problem I refer to I noticed when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear. From 6th gear to 2nd gear everything is smooth, then from 2nd to 1st, a clunk sound and a very abrupt slowing of the unit. I checked with a couple of mechanics where I am at present, I was told, there is a corellation between the engine RPM and the transmission torque converter. It does not appear to do any harm as the unit runs great and the tranny shifts from 1st to 6th gear with no trouble, just the noise downshifting from 2nd to 1st.

Any of this make sense?

Thanks for your input. Gary.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Gary, I could just be the nature of the beast. Particularly if you have no problem in other gears. Checking the "U" joints for wear would be the first thing, but usually the joints will give multiple issues if they're in bad shape. High speed vibration , etc.
Is this most noticeable when coasting to a stop , or can you notice it while braking to a stop.
I won't be out in my coach till early Oct. and will try to see if I notice anything like you describe. In both coasting and braking mode.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

Allison Abrupt Downshift

Thanks for the reply.

I had some personal information removed. Strange happenings, one computer in my residence won't get me into the site to edit my profile, other computer in my workshop will. Another problem I am working on.

This abrupt downshift only happens from 2nd to 1st when approaching a red traffic lite, a stop sign or any stop requiring the motorhome to come to a virtual stop. Could having the brake retarder on have this affect? Could engine RPM be too low which would effect the torque converter? When I get back to SC, I will try some additional suggestions from great individuals like yourself.

Again thanks. Gary.

Tags
allison