RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by azroper View Post
I haven't had this rig very long, and have found some things oddly lacking. One being an oil temp. gauge for the Trans. I have water temp, engine oil temp, and turbo psi....but for such a beast, it sure seems a tranny temp gauge would be logical.....HOW HARD to ADD one ????????..Id like a pyrometer too...but that's another thread....LOL
Not had at all. If you add a temp sender to the transmission cooler circuit, make sure you add it in the line going to the cooler, so you can see worst case. I know a lot of the later model coaches use a digital display that reads the trans temp signal on the vehicle network. That reading is the transmission sump temperature.

dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #128

Good idea. Thanks. Any suggestion as to 'sending units, and gauges'. Thanks again

azroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #129

Allison Transmission Life Expectancy

I just placed a post on Allison Transmission Life in the Class A Motorhome forum and just got a message that it was moved to the Allison Transmission forum. Don't know how I messed that one up?

Here's what I posted:
Lots of good advice about diesel engine life expectancy here. But I wonder, what about the transmission? What is the B50 design life for an Allison 3000MH transmission? I've been trying to contact Allison directly but no luck yet.

I'm considering a '09 Newmar with an ISL/Allison3000MH drivetrain and 165K miles. Except for Prevost rigs, I don't see much out there with over 100K miles on it. Not worried about the ISL but what about the Allison? If its been properly maintained, what should my expectations for continued use be. And secondarily, is it likely to fail catastrophically or gracefully? Or put another way, will I be able to drive it home to fix it?
boaterbobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterbobd View Post
I just placed a post on Allison Transmission Life in the Class A Motorhome forum and just got a message that it was moved to the Allison Transmission forum. Don't know how I messed that one up?

Here's what I posted:
Lots of good advice about diesel engine life expectancy here. But I wonder, what about the transmission? What is the B50 design life for an Allison 3000MH transmission? I've been trying to contact Allison directly but no luck yet.

I'm considering a '09 Newmar with an ISL/Allison3000MH drivetrain and 165K miles. Except for Prevost rigs, I don't see much out there with over 100K miles on it. Not worried about the ISL but what about the Allison? If its been properly maintained, what should my expectations for continued use be. And secondarily, is it likely to fail catastrophically or gracefully? Or put another way, will I be able to drive it home to fix it?
Allison doesn't publish a B50 design life for any of the transmissions that I am aware of. Transmission life is dependent on such a number of factors, it is impossible to accurately publish a single number.
Even inside specific vocations, there are large variances possible.
Allison prognostics is one way to do some predictive life expectancy, or status, on clutches but that's about as good as it gets right now.
One way to look at this is, 200K miles in top gear running down flat road is a lot different duty than 200K of start/stop on severe grades in the desert.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #131

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
Allison doesn't publish a B50 design life for any of the transmissions that I am aware of. Transmission life is dependent on such a number of factors, it is impossible to accurately publish a single number.
Even inside specific vocations, there are large variances possible.
Allison prognostics is one way to do some predictive life expectancy, or status, on clutches but that's about as good as it gets right now.
One way to look at this is, 200K miles in top gear running down flat road is a lot different duty than 200K of start/stop on severe grades in the desert.
I have been in, visited truck and rv salvage yards for many years.
They all will tell you that they have a nice colection of Allison transmission s.
Very few calls for a replacement Allison.
Now
Engines ?
They cant keep them in stock.
In my opinion these allison's are used around the world in every condition and are proven to be bullet proof.

Service according to manufacturers recommendations.
John Haggard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #132

I have not done this yet but i was also told they have a diagnostic that can give you a heath test if you will, on the clutch disks. That would be the most likely item of wear, you could also try an oil analysis, but i also have been told the trans is NOT the weak link in the chain. they are over rated for that application.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #133

Allisonman or DBarton 291: Thank you for your shared knowledge.
I have a 2018 Nexus Super C 32 W w Cummins diesel and Allison 2500 tranny 6 speed center shifter, 4,300 miles of easy use. At about 4000 miles it threw a code "check transmission" and entered "limp mode?" where it wouldn't go very fast. After turning it off it ran for about 100 miles and did it again. Looking at posts here it looked like I needed to do a 5000m trans filter( small orange round filter that unscrews like an oil filter) change which I did. problem persisted.
code can be reset from dash but reoccurs if accelerating or pushing it up a hill..
never over heated and fluid good clean and to full line ???
still under warranty and extended warranty in place but Allison dealer 110 miles away in las Vegas ?? Any ideas ? will it hurt to easily drive to dealer to have it diagnosed ??
any advise much appreciated.....or PM at rick.morgan (at) yahoo.com
PADDLEDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADDLEDOC View Post
Allisonman or DBarton 291: Thank you for your shared knowledge.
I have a 2018 Nexus Super C 32 W w Cummins diesel and Allison 2500 tranny 6 speed center shifter, 4,300 miles of easy use. At about 4000 miles it threw a code "check transmission" and entered "limp mode?" where it wouldn't go very fast. After turning it off it ran for about 100 miles and did it again. Looking at posts here it looked like I needed to do a 5000m trans filter( small orange round filter that unscrews like an oil filter) change which I did. problem persisted.
code can be reset from dash but reoccurs if accelerating or pushing it up a hill..
never over heated and fluid good clean and to full line ???
still under warranty and extended warranty in place but Allison dealer 110 miles away in las Vegas ?? Any ideas ? will it hurt to easily drive to dealer to have it diagnosed ??
any advise much appreciated.....or PM at rick.morgan (at) yahoo.com
The 5000 mile filter change is no longer required.
I would get it to the dealer to find out what the code is that lit the light.

Tags
allison