RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #141

Dear old pros, Allisonman or DBarton 291:

What a great thread! and thank you for all the insight

Having problems with my Bounder Pusher... Cat with Allison approx 70,000 miles...

Seems it may be the engine speed sensors but anyway here it is.

When I apply throttle via foot pedal I have to go really easy trying to keep the engine revs about 1500... what happens is I get flare I believe... Just before engine shifts into next higher gear, engine revs up another 200-400 rpm and goes in hard!...mosty 3-4 but could occur any range...

From reading here it may be sensors? Unit has about 70k miles, replaced transyd and filters around 40 k

thanks in advance!

Keith

keith olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 AM   #142

Hmmm. What is the model year of the vehicle and which transmission do you have?

dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #143

What trany model in my 2002 Coachmen Cross Country 354?

I have the manual shift lever like a school bus does not the push button unit. Its a 5 speed for sure. Works great looks like the transmission control (electronic Box above the engine next to the engine ECM has been replaced/reprogramed). Bought it last year with only 47K miles on it.

Would like to know model of transmission because I would like to have the ECM flashed for more Horsepower and torque. Right now its stock 260 HP would like to flash to 340 or 350 HP if possible.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Joe View Post
I have the manual shift lever like a school bus does not the push button unit. Its a 5 speed for sure. Works great looks like the transmission control (electronic Box above the engine next to the engine ECM has been replaced/reprogramed). Bought it last year with only 47K miles on it.

Would like to know model of transmission because I would like to have the ECM flashed for more Horsepower and torque. Right now its stock 260 HP would like to flash to 340 or 350 HP if possible.
The best way to know exactly which transmission that is in the vehicle is to crawl under it and give me the numbers that are on the tag on the transmission.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
The best way to know exactly which transmission that is in the vehicle is to crawl under it and give me the numbers that are on the tag on the transmission.

Didn't crawl under it yet but did call Freight liner. Was told its a model 2000 Allison. Sounds like its too small to up the engine config file to obtain more power and torque. Engine is 260hp/550ft lbs torque.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #146

Yeah, if it's a 2000 you really shouldn't up the horsepower to the levels you are talking about. That would turn the C1 clutch into a crispy critter.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #147

3000 Allison problem

Great thread. I was thinking about starting a new thread about my issue but thought I would see what you think is going on. I can start a new one if you would rather me do that just let me know.
I have an Allison MD3000RM. Itís in a 2000 Newmar Dutchstar with a 330hp Cat engine. Looking at the tag on the transmission it was replaced with a Allison Retran in 2008 along with a new ECU at the same time. The whole coach only has 26,000 miles so itís been sitting a lot in itís life. Sometimes it works and others it will shift hard and go to neutral when you come to a stop or get stuck in a gear.

Last fall I took it on a 10 mile trip to the gas station. It was fine for the 10 miles to the station then on the way home we had to stop 14 times to reset everything to make it home. I recorded all the codes. There were a total of about 12 different codes. Iíve read through the 446 page troubleshooting manual trying to find something in common with each of he codes. Iíve checked everything I know of. I did find a a tarnished terminal at the plug down by the transmission and cleaned it up. It fixed a few of the codes I believe. I think Iíve traced the issue down to the turbine sensor or output sensor or internal valve issue.

Before my most recent test drive I swapped the engine speed sensor and the output speed sensor to see if the problem would follow the sensor. On my last test drive it went about 2 miles before I came to a stop and it went to neutral and the check transmission light came on again. Code 2511. Cleared the code and went a little further and got a 5443 code and it stuck in 4th. Cleared again and it did it a few more times before I got home. Iím down to just these 2 codes. Mostly the 2511 code. I unplugged the blue connector on the ECU and took readings through the harness and through each solenoid. Everything looks good. The turbine speed sensor was within its range as was every solenoid. No shorts wire to wire except the one for the trans id like itís supposed to be and no shorts to ground.

Sorry this is long but trying to give you a brief summary of whatís been checked so far. Any more ideas before I take it in so they can put it on their machine to take a better look at whatís going on inside? Thanks for any input you might have. Iím at my wits end with this thing.
Probrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #148

Are you SURE the transmission is going to neutral even though you didn't select it on the selector?
Does the selector say you've selected N and attained N, or something other combination of letters when it goes to neutral?
What are the trouble codes you have recorded?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #149

The keypad doesnít say itís in neutral. It just acts like itís in neutral. If I remember right it still says 6 and wonít go into any other gear. No neutral or reverse. When you come to a stop and start to go again it just wonít move forward then the check trans light comes on. Iíll list each set of codes Iíve received. I didnít start recording them till the last 4 times out. We bought it 500 miles from home. It started acting up 100 miles into our trip home. It did it for probably the next 200 miles every time we had to slow down for a town. We shut it off to get going again but once into 6th it was ok till we had to slow down again. By the time we got home it seemed back to normal and working good. I checked the 3 connectors at the ECU and cleaned them up. All seemed fine so we took a trip to Memphis to race. It did great all the way there (500 miles and all the way back till the last 100 miles where it progressively got worse till we made it home. Anyway, here are the codes Iíve recorded so far.

1st trip: (on the way home from Memphis. The only trip weíve taken with it since we bought it)
5587, 2511, 5423, 5412, 5445

2nd trip (test after cleaning all 3 connectors @ ECU:
5611, 5587, 5655, 5622, 5412, 5655, 3233, 2511, 5432, 5611, 5423, 3233, 5587, 2511.
Cleared each code after it was set.

3rd trip (cleaned terminal X (C3 input switch) in plug by trans and swapped the engine and output speed sensors)
2511, 5443, 2511, 5412, 2511, 5443, 2511

4th trip (changed plug @ output speed sensor. Made short trip after seeing it still wasnít fixed)
2511, and 5587.

After the last test drive I ohmed the wiring harness from the blue ECU connector to the transmission internally checking for shorts, opens, solenoid resistance, and sensor resistances. All looks good there as far as I can tell.
Thanks for you help.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probrd View Post
The keypad doesnít say itís in neutral. It just acts like itís in neutral. If I remember right it still says 6 and wonít go into any other gear. No neutral or reverse. When you come to a stop and start to go again it just wonít move forward then the check trans light comes on. Iíll list each set of codes Iíve received. I didnít start recording them till the last 4 times out. We bought it 500 miles from home. It started acting up 100 miles into our trip home. It did it for probably the next 200 miles every time we had to slow down for a town. We shut it off to get going again but once into 6th it was ok till we had to slow down again. By the time we got home it seemed back to normal and working good. I checked the 3 connectors at the ECU and cleaned them up. All seemed fine so we took a trip to Memphis to race. It did great all the way there (500 miles and all the way back till the last 100 miles where it progressively got worse till we made it home. Anyway, here are the codes Iíve recorded so far.

1st trip: (on the way home from Memphis. The only trip weíve taken with it since we bought it)
5587, 2511, 5423, 5412, 5445

2nd trip (test after cleaning all 3 connectors @ ECU:
5611, 5587, 5655, 5622, 5412, 5655, 3233, 2511, 5432, 5611, 5423, 3233, 5587, 2511.
Cleared each code after it was set.

3rd trip (cleaned terminal X (C3 input switch) in plug by trans and swapped the engine and output speed sensors)
2511, 5443, 2511, 5412, 2511, 5443, 2511

4th trip (changed plug @ output speed sensor. Made short trip after seeing it still wasnít fixed)
2511, and 5587.

After the last test drive I ohmed the wiring harness from the blue ECU connector to the transmission internally checking for shorts, opens, solenoid resistance, and sensor resistances. All looks good there as far as I can tell.
Thanks for you help.

Those codes are a mixture of output speed sensor showing zero RPM, failing oncoming ratio tests, failure of C3 pressure switch to close, failure of range verification tests. It's almost like there's a loose connector in the vehicle somewhere between the transmission and the TCM making multiple circuits open.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #151

That’s what I was thinking but the only connector I can find is at the ECU and the one down by the transmission. When I cleaned the contact (X) down at the one by the transmission it got rid of the C3 input switch errors and all of them but 2521 and 5443.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #152

2511 is output speed detected at 0 RPM in first range.
5443 is failure of the oncoming range test for the 4-3 downshift.
It could be a glitch in the output speed sensor or its wiring. I think I would concentrate on chasing the output speed sensor wiring checking for open, shorts between wires, shorts to ground and give everything a wiggle test checking for intermittents.
Perhaps replace the output speed sensor if all wiring checks OK.
Also make sure nothing is spliced into the wires for the output speed sensor. Those are sacred.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #153

Thanks. I’ve checked the wiring with a meter and it all seems good. I’ll check it again and try to test and wiggle it at the same time. I swapped the engine speed sensor with the output speed sensor and the code remained the same. I was hoping it would follow the sensor and give me a different code doing with the engine speed sensor. I wonder if the a false turbine speed sensor reading would cause this since the 2511 code seems to happen when I stop which is why the output speed sensor would read 0 since I’m not moving. Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #154

2511 means zero output speed in first gear and you are moving. It's not seeing the output speed signal for some reason.
The 5443 means it's not seeing the ratio it's expecting which is comparing output speed to turbine after a 4-3 downshift.
The only common thing between the two is the use of output speed. It sure looks like it should be a wiring glitch somewhere.

Tags
allison