Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
Should be more like 12 unless there is something non standard about the installation.
Sorry I had that wrong. Should be more like 8 hours R&R unless it’s a difficult installation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #240

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kieffer View Post
Allison Tampa upgraded the software this morning from a 2018 version to the current 2019 version. This solved almost all of the problems.

Thanks for calling them!

The engine may also need a software update. There is no discernible difference between high, medium and low engine brake settings.

I’ve been following your engine brake issue as my issue is nearly identical to yours (I can flip the engine brake switch off to regain acceleration capability). When I brought the issue up with Spartan last year they basically told me thats just how it works, so I didn’t investigate further. The 2018 MADP is my first motorhome, so I didn’t know better. I’m interested in going down the path of having the transmission software updated to the 2019 version to see if that resolves my problem too.

I haven’t worked with Allison in the past, so I’m looking for some guidance on how to get this ball rolling. Should I be contacting an Allison customer service center or a local shop that does Allison 4000MH reprogramming? Anything in particular that I should be asking for?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I’ve been following your engine brake issue as my issue is nearly identical to yours (I can flip the engine brake switch off to regain acceleration capability). When I brought the issue up with Spartan last year they basically told me thats just how it works, so I didn’t investigate further. The 2018 MADP is my first motorhome, so I didn’t know better. I’m interested in going down the path of having the transmission software updated to the 2019 version to see if that resolves my problem too.

I haven’t worked with Allison in the past, so I’m looking for some guidance on how to get this ball rolling. Should I be contacting an Allison customer service center or a local shop that does Allison 4000MH reprogramming? Anything in particular that I should be asking for?
First find out if you have an authorized Allison service outlet near you that is authorized to do reprogramming. Go to www.allisontransmission.com and click on the service locator to see the authorized service locations near you.
Let us know what you find and we can go from there.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #242

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
First find out if you have an authorized Allison service outlet near you that is authorized to do reprogramming. Go to www.allisontransmission.com and click on the service locator to see the authorized service locations near you.
Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

I’ve made an appointment at a nearby Johnson’s Truck Center to get a few issues taken care of such as a 370 mA parasitic power draw coming from the Spartan Control Module.

They are authorized/certified for Alison 4000 series reprogramming. I’ve put this issue on the list that I emailed to them, but didn’t get any feedback as to what I may need to do ahead of time to ensure this is taken care of.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I’ve made an appointment at a nearby Johnson’s Truck Center to get a few issues taken care of such as a 370 mA parasitic power draw coming from the Spartan Control Module.

They are authorized/certified for Alison 4000 series reprogramming. I’ve put this issue on the list that I emailed to them, but didn’t get any feedback as to what I may need to do ahead of time to ensure this is taken care of.
If you would like me to, PM or reply with their contact info, and I can point them the same direction for the fix I did for the owner that started this discussion.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #244

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If you would like me to, PM or reply with their contact info, and I can point them the same direction for the fix I did for the owner that started this discussion.

PM sent. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #245

Dan Russell

I took the truck to the Allison authorized dealer; the first thing they checked was the modulator --- they said no power to the modulator, and they don't have any reference material for this. They & I can't find any wiring diagrams.
1. My feeling is there wouldn't be constant power to the electronic modulator, that there would only be a charge when the TCM was signaling that it's time to shift?
2. Since there is a total lack of availability of GMC wiring diagrams, do you think the wiring diagrams for an Isuzu would work; they are, or almost are, the same truck?
Old 08-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRussell View Post
I took the truck to the Allison authorized dealer; the first thing they checked was the modulator --- they said no power to the modulator, and they don't have any reference material for this. They & I can't find any wiring diagrams.
1. My feeling is there wouldn't be constant power to the electronic modulator, that there would only be a charge when the TCM was signaling that it's time to shift?
2. Since there is a total lack of availability of GMC wiring diagrams, do you think the wiring diagrams for an Isuzu would work; they are, or almost are, the same truck?
There is no TCM on an AT545. The electric modulator gets 12 volts one of two ways. Either the engine controller powers it above a programmed throttle position or there is a switch activated by the throttle pedal or linkage.
I don’t know how close GMC or Isuzu wiring diagrams are.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #247

I am new to the forum, and not sure I am in the right area for a question, so forgive me if I am not in the right area.
I have a Itasca 34 ft, with a 5.9 cumins and 6spd Allison, it is low miles and I have a smooth running up shifting, but very hard down shifting transmission. If I apply slight pressure on the accelerator pedal the downshifting is not too bad, but it I let my foot off the pedal it hammers down hard and will do so through most of the gears going down as it decelerates.
I have only just got the motorhome and I am not familiar with the Allison trans. I appear to have the MD3060 trans. It is the push button model.

I would appreciate any help that you can provide.
thanks
Old 08-31-2019, 09:54 PM   #248

Het Allisonman, I have a 94 Georgie Boy Cruise Air on a 34' diesel pusher Spartan chassis. It has the 5.9 cummins and MD3060. I drained and filled with TES-295 spec fluid at approximately 65,000 miles and then a 2nd time just last week at 71,000 miles. Both times I used TES-295 spec fluid and replaced both filters. On the recect drain I saw some very small shaving of copper or brass particles (very small amounts). Anything to woryy about? I don't know any maintenance history prior to 63,000 as that's when I purchased it.

Also, is the torque converter in my trans allowed to lock up in any gear? Including 1st. I am noticing what seems like another shift occorring while the tranny is still in 1st gear. I'm hoping this is not a clutch slipping issue. It doesn't feel like slippage and my fluid was not burnt or brown (it was bright red).
Old 09-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #249

I had full service on my 3000mh. Now I have fluid coming out the breather. I checked level with keypad and it say ol ok. Fluid temp was 190 or so. Before service no issues with blowing fluid out breather. If not over filled what could it be. Thanks
Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary49 View Post
I had full service on my 3000mh. Now I have fluid coming out the breather. I checked level with keypad and it say ol ok. Fluid temp was 190 or so. Before service no issues with blowing fluid out breather. If not over filled what could it be. Thanks
The most likely cause is being over filled.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampr4 View Post
Het Allisonman, I have a 94 Georgie Boy Cruise Air on a 34' diesel pusher Spartan chassis. It has the 5.9 cummins and MD3060. I drained and filled with TES-295 spec fluid at approximately 65,000 miles and then a 2nd time just last week at 71,000 miles. Both times I used TES-295 spec fluid and replaced both filters. On the recect drain I saw some very small shaving of copper or brass particles (very small amounts). Anything to woryy about? I don't know any maintenance history prior to 63,000 as that's when I purchased it.

Also, is the torque converter in my trans allowed to lock up in any gear? Including 1st. I am noticing what seems like another shift occorring while the tranny is still in 1st gear. I'm hoping this is not a clutch slipping issue. It doesn't feel like slippage and my fluid was not burnt or brown (it was bright red).
Your calibration may have first lockup. That is becoming more common now as Fuel Sense calibrations are being used by OEMs. Even before fuel sense, some cals would allow first lockup at part throttle, but would shift 1C-2C-2L at wide open throttle. There will be some dusting of metallic particles on an oil change. It is nothing to worry about. If you see chunks, then you may have an issue but not always. If something in the trans has a real problem, it usually results in some kind of trouble code eventually.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
Here is the issues I'm having, never had the light come on before this either.

Pulled into the campground after a 5 hour drive (very wet, raining hard). Put in park and shut down to go check into the campground. Returned after about 5 minutes to go park in the spot.

Put the Key in turned one click and waited for the appropriate lights to go off. the Do Not Shift light didn't turn off like it normally would. Turn the key and nothing, wouldn't crank.

After lots of looking I found some info but nothing that helped remove the light. After unhooking the coach batteries, cleaning all connections and leaving it disconnected for 30 minutes. nothing changed.

I was able to jump the starter solenoid and get the coach to start, once started the "Do Not Shift" light went off, everything functioned as normal and we parked. Would shift Drive, Neutral, Reverse no problem.

When we went to leave, same issues. I again jumped the starter, the light went out and we drove 5 hours home without stopping. got it parked and shut down. Tried to restart and the light came back on.

I'm looking for some help here.

Coach is a 1998 Winnebago Cheiftain Model #: WKL36WL
Freightliner Chassis, ISB Cummings 5.9 24V and a 6 speed Allison Transmission with remote Shifter pad, the TCM and VIM are under the dash.

After finding a document and recording the codes, I cleared them. Light still remains. No current codes come up, but the light still comes on, stays on and the coach won't turn over?

the codes that were pulled are here and the info and description pulled form the WTEC II Electronic Control troubleshooting manual.

D1 22 16 - Output Speed Sensor Reasonableness test (Yes, Do not shift light) DNS, Lock in Current Range, DNA
D2 23 12 - Primary Shift Selector or RSI Link Fault (No, Do not shift light) Hold in last valid direction. May cause “cateyes” display
D3 45 22 - Open Circuit, G solenoid Circuit (Yes, Do not shift light) DNS, SOL OFF, Hydraulic Default), DNA
D4 45 21 - Open Circuit, F solenoid Circuit (No, Do not shift light) Lockup inhibited, DNA
D5 14 12 - Oil Level Sensor, failed Low (No, Do not Shift light) None

Looking for any ideas here. Thanks.

Wanted to jump back and report the issue was found and it was something super simple (once I found it).

the problem was with one of the posts on the starter solenoid, the wires were tight but maybe all the rain had washed off some crud and it was loose on the nut holding the post to the body. I took it off to bench test and noticed it was loose. tighted it up, bench test showed it was working, reinstalled and she fired first time.

this was not issue with the Trans, once the sensor sees RPM the "Do Not Shift" light goes out, as it is suposed to. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Closed Thread

Tags
allison