RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #253

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Allison Tech for 40 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton291 View Post
If you would like me to, PM or reply with their contact info, and I can point them the same direction for the fix I did for the owner that started this discussion.

Today was my first drive through the mountains (of NC) and the problem associated with the engine brake not quickly disengaging at the bottom of the grade are definitely resolved. Thanks again for your assistance in identifying the problem/resolution and for coordinating with the service center in getting the transmission reprogrammed.

flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #254

Outstanding. I love it when a plan comes together.

dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #255

Monaco Owners Club
Would an Allison Trans shop usually have a way to test the external cooler?

Regarding a 4000MH series that runs hot (will hit 250+ degrees sump temp, while engine is at 190).

How can the external oil cooler be tested to know that is working properly?

Would an Allison Trans shop have a gauge/tool to measuring oil flow (GPM or GPH) through the cooler?

Do the Allison shops usually have a means to flush an external cooler?

Is there an Allison publication/spec showing what size transmission cooler is needed/recommended for a 40,000 lb motor coach application (or perhaps for a bus)?
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Regarding a 4000MH series that runs hot (will hit 250+ degrees sump temp, while engine is at 190).

How can the external oil cooler be tested to know that is working properly?

Would an Allison Trans shop have a gauge/tool to measuring oil flow (GPM or GPH) through the cooler?

Do the Allison shops usually have a means to flush an external cooler?

Is there an Allison publication/spec showing what size transmission cooler is needed/recommended for a 40,000 lb motor coach application (or perhaps for a bus)?
Here's the low down on external coolers. The cooler is chosen by the chassis manufacturer based on Allison guidelines. Allison does sell some coolers, but the chassis OEM is not required to use the Allison coolers, only one that meets the requirements of dissipating the required heat load given the oil flow from the transmission and the engine that's used in that chassis.
Most Allison shops have the gauges and fittings to measure those flows. They will normally have to run an iSCAAN to get the figures for the expected flows.
Allison shops are normally equipped with a flush cart to flush the cooler.
One thing I would suggest, first measure the temperatures of water in, water out, oil in and oil out. It's the temperatures that will tell you what the cooler is doing with what its given.
That can also help define if the issue is the cooler, or if either the engine or trans is sending it fluid that is already overheated which will be a different fix than the cooler. Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonman View Post
I have been strictly an Allison Tec, manager, Allison rep and now outside sales for 40 years. I used to answer questions before about 15 years ago but became quite busy in my job and lost track.
I have come here to try and lend my expertise to RV owners who have questions about their Allison Transmissions. I really enjoy helping out so please if you are having an issue with your Allison, please leave me a question. I try and check in every other day so please be patient. Thank you and "Have a great day!"
Question on my 06' Fleetwood Providence (Spartan chassis) CAT 350HP with allison tranny; wanting to confirm my highway speed/RPM findings: at 70 mph, my tach is at 2000 rpm. is this where it should be? Not sure of the Allison model number, believe it is a 6-speed 3000MH
new to diesel pusher life.
Thanks for your input.
David
Tailgate2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #258

I can't answer your question but i can tell you that is about the RPM I pull on my rig at 70mph, different motor but its not out of the range of reasonable.
ftodaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #259

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to change the operation of the Allison transmission when I use the Jake Brake.

We have a 2005 Monaco Signature with the ISX 525 and the HD4000MH transmission

It currently selects 3rd gear and I cannot adjust that using the shift up and down buttons.

Can it be programmed to select 4th gear and allow me to then use the shift buttons to select 3rd?

Thanks I n advance

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #260

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Compare rear end ratio as well as RPM and speed.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate2023 View Post
Question on my 06' Fleetwood Providence (Spartan chassis) CAT 350HP with allison tranny; wanting to confirm my highway speed/RPM findings: at 70 mph, my tach is at 2000 rpm. is this where it should be? Not sure of the Allison model number, believe it is a 6-speed 3000MH
new to diesel pusher life.
Thanks for your input.
David
That sounds about right for sixth gear and 70MPH. Different vehicles have different axle ratios and tire sizes that affect the engine RPM in top gear at highway speed. I don't see anything wrong with what your vehicle is doing.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
I would like to change the operation of the Allison transmission when I use the Jake Brake.

We have a 2005 Monaco Signature with the ISX 525 and the HD4000MH transmission

It currently selects 3rd gear and I cannot adjust that using the shift up and down buttons.

Can it be programmed to select 4th gear and allow me to then use the shift buttons to select 3rd?

Thanks I n advance

Paul
My understanding is the way that option works is when the engine brake is on, the trans is programmed to go to a preselect range. The range can be programmed, but as long as the brake is active, that's where it will stay.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #263

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks.

I have heard others talk of disabling the preselection and retain the ability to manually downshift.

Do you know if that is programmable?

Paul
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #264

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Something must be off. On the three Allisons I've owned I could always manually override the preselect if it was safe to do. I also had one reprogrammed to preselect 4th rather than 2nd. Which I hated everafter!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
Thanks.

I have heard others talk of disabling the preselection and retain the ability to manually downshift.

Do you know if that is programmable?

Paul
You can reprogram the controller to eliminate the automatic preselect when the engine brake is on.

I do agree with the Mr. D. I was not aware when the trans goes into a preselect because of engine brake enable you could not make other preselects if it was safe.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #266

Monaco Owners Club
Iíll check it again. Mine does not allow me to override it.

Paul

Tags
allison

« Cats eye | - »