RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #43

Allisonman, would you be kind enough to give me your take on this situation? Occurring issue. "Do not Shift" . Monitor reads 5

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #44

Allison Tech for 40 years

I have a question regarding replacing my transmission fluid. I just recently purchased my first MH and the previous owner kept very good records of when service was completed on it. However the transmission oil hasnít been changed in awhile and Iím sure itís based on very few miles driven. I just want to know in your honest opinion if I should change the transmission fluid based on the following facts.

Last transmission service was performed May 2011 using Transynd Synthetic oil with 14,000 miles on it. Today I have 21,000 miles on her and I just donít want to change out the transmission fluid with only 7,000 miles from last oil change
If I donít have to. Do you think I should change the oil or not?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Bodean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometimes getting hard 2-1 shifts, can't get fluid level readings and get
OL -- FL
d1 p 07 26 which I think is "speed sensor circuit fault". Is that correct?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Thanks for being here for us!!
My tranny also shifts hard from 5th to 4th sometimes - not every time. I didn't know my old tranny would show codes - I'll have to check that out. Can you do this with the key on or does it need to be running?
I wanted to report back that changing the Engine Speed Sensor seems to have fixed the shifting problem. All was smooth up and down

Now my exhaust brake quit working properly . "Usually" with the switch on and when I let off the fuel pedal I could see the tranny select 2 on the left side of my display and then the tranny would start downshifting depending on rpm and display on the right side of the display. I recently had a shop work on the exhaust brake system and they installed a new switch on the throttle linkage - they said there wasn't one yet I could see the tranny select 2nd gear, so it was seeing something. After they were done, I wasn't quite sure if it was working correctly but I couldn't be in 2 places at one time to watch both ends of the operation.We took a 1200 mile trip and I just couldn't tell if I was feeling the exhaust brake.
A coup[le days ago I drove over to a buddy's house and raised the bed and he stayed back there to watch what was going on and it seems that the tranny was working like it should, selecting and then trying to get to 2nd gear but what he saw was that the exhaust brake was not closing off the exhaust until the tranny got down to 2nd gear . So my question is, I am not sure exactly what triggers the relay that triggers the air solenoid to trigger the pac-brake. Drawings I've seen show an ECM in the mix and the mechanic told me "you don't have an ECM" so I am a little unsure what I have. I do have a CTA 8.3 Cummins, so it's not electronic. On the way up to this camp ground, the tranny stopped selecting 2nd gear too
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #47

Bodean56

Hello Bodean56,
It all depends on the type of fluid you have. I would guess you have synthetic in it but if your not sure, assume it is not and yes I would change the fluid because TES389 (Dexron) because that is recommended change every 2 years or 24,000 miles.
Transynde (TES 295) synthetic fluid the filter need to be changed every 75,000 miles or 4 years but before getting the filters changed, I would get an Allison oil sample kit 29537805 and send the oil out for analysis. If it comes back with good numbers which your Allison Distributor or dealer can explain, then you would not have to change the oil. I would have a sample done everytime the filters are changed because the lab compares past samples with current sample.
Thank you and have a great day!
Allisonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #48

MrD

Hello sir,
You are correct on the codes as being an engine speed sensor code whish is easy to replace. With a 4000MH you have 3 sensors on the drivers side (diesel pusher) and the one closest to the engine is the engine speed sensor. This would effect your downshifts and make them rough. Give your local dealer or distributor a call and have your serial number off the transmission tag ready.
The OL-FL says it is a sensor code. I would have the dealer or distributor hook up and do what is called an autodetect and see if the TCM picks up the oil level signal. If not, you might have to have the VB module dropped and change the oil level sensor after they check wiring. Could just be a pin backed out too.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #49

RKINS

Hello again. They might have misadjusted your TPS (throttle position sensor) on your mechanical engine when they put a switch on the throttle lever. Even though you are at idle, the transmission might think you have your foot on the pedal and it will not preselect for your exhaust brake or even turn it on. Usually you don't have a switch on the lever, it is the Allison TCM that sends a signal to a customer supplied relay and that turns on your exhaust brake.
Hope this helps. Have a great day!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2001 Itasca Horizon with a 330 Cat engine & a 3000 Allison push button transmission & when in drive after 5 - 10 seconds I hear a beeping signal. Nothing else fluids OK. checked solenoid on Jacks, no problem discovered. Can you shed some light as to what could be the problem if any prior to going to an expensive repair shop.

Your assistance will be most appreciated.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Tks for the reply. 2001 Itasca Horizon. Sorry but your response to my previous query on this matter was not received. Beeping sound just started recently following replacement of springs on one of jacks left rear. Not sure what you mean by tcm but when I had the oil pan replaced by a qualified truck repair shop.they checked for error codes, None identified. Short of disconnecting beeper in the dash I would like to rectify problem. Yep brake is off & beeping sound is continuous when coach is in motion forward or reverse.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonman View Post
Hello sir,
You are correct on the codes as being an engine speed sensor code whish is easy to replace. With a 4000MH you have 3 sensors on the drivers side (diesel pusher) and the one closest to the engine is the engine speed sensor. This would effect your downshifts and make them rough. Give your local dealer or distributor a call and have your serial number off the transmission tag ready.
The OL-FL says it is a sensor code. I would have the dealer or distributor hook up and do what is called an autodetect and see if the TCM picks up the oil level signal. If not, you might have to have the VB module dropped and change the oil level sensor after they check wiring. Could just be a pin backed out too.
Thanks for the info. I'll run over and get a new sensor tomorrow. Too late today due to the traffic here! Will check connections while under there. I'm 71+ and crawling around under a MH isn't as much fun as it used to be!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
91 Country Coach Concept

Thank you Allisonman for your kindness and willingness to help. I recently purchased a new to me 91 Country Coach Concept with a Detroit 6 and 4 speed Allison. Sometimes it shifts hard when down shifting approximately 35 -40 MPH. Can this transmission be reprogrammed like the Allison 6 speed? Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:55 AM   #54

Quote:
Hello again. They might have misadjusted your TPS (throttle position sensor) on your mechanical engine when they put a switch on the throttle lever. Even though you are at idle, the transmission might think you have your foot on the pedal and it will not preselect for your exhaust brake or even turn it on. Usually you don't have a switch on the lever, it is the Allison TCM that sends a signal to a customer supplied relay and that turns on your exhaust brake.
Hope this helps. Have a great day!
Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused on the terminology though. This is a diagram that I think represents the exhaust brake system on my old rig - I don't see a TCM

Maybe you have a better diagram to help troubleshoot this problem?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:14 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Driver View Post
Thank you Allisonman for your kindness and willingness to help. I recently purchased a new to me 91 Country Coach Concept with a Detroit 6 and 4 speed Allison. Sometimes it shifts hard when down shifting approximately 35 -40 MPH. Can this transmission be reprogrammed like the Allison 6 speed? Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
The four speed Allison cannot be reprogrammed like the six speeds. There are things that can be done to help them. You need to tell us exactly which model you have. The model designation is on the name plate which is on the side of the main case.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hello sir,
OK, drove out to Ridgefield today (boy has that built up lately, came in from the high school side) and got the sensor, but they had two listed, a 90į and a straight. Got the straight one but will have to back the rig out and climb under to find out which I need. Supposed to get showers tonight too.

Tags
allison