RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Allison tech on the way

Waiting on a Allison tech to bail us out this morning. Two days ago we attempted to depart our long term snowbird CG and everything went as planned until trying to start up. Nothing, all lights and buzzers went on as usual, could hear fuel pump run, batteries good. Did not notice there was no display on the shifter panel.

A call to Good Sam RSA and they sent a not Allison RSA (we did not know this was the cause) who tracked it down to probably a bad TCM AKA transmission control module. $300 labor and not fixed.

After a lot of calls by Good Sam rather than towing it a long way they found Florida Detroit Diesel Allison in Miami will send a tech. Same deal with GS paying for the trip back & forth and we pay for labor and parts. $135/hour two hour minimum.

I talked to the tech on the phone and he sounds like a great guy so now we wait and keep our fingers crossed. Wish us luck!

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Waiting on a Allison tech to bail us out this morning. Two days ago we attempted to depart our long term snowbird CG and everything went as planned until trying to start up. Nothing, all lights and buzzers went on as usual, could hear fuel pump run, batteries good. Did not notice there was no display on the shifter panel.

A call to Good Sam RSA and they sent a not Allison RSA (we did not know this was the cause) who tracked it down to probably a bad TCM AKA transmission control module. $300 labor and not fixed.

After a lot of calls by Good Sam rather than towing it a long way they found Florida Detroit Diesel Allison in Miami will send a tech. Same deal with GS paying for the trip back & forth and we pay for labor and parts. $135/hour two hour minimum.

I talked to the tech on the phone and he sounds like a great guy so now we wait and keep our fingers crossed. Wish us luck!
Ugh! I feel for you. I hope they get you fixed and on your way quickly. Good luck!!

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

The tech should have checked this but easy & worth a try. You said the batteries are good. Make sure the chassis (engine start) battery bank is at least at 12.6 volts when the key is turned to the on position. The Allison is particular about voltage and a low volt condition will result in these symptoms.

Good luck and safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

Sometimes disconnecting the Allison cable connector and cleaning the pins and sockets with a good terminal cleaner and then reassemble the connector with a small dab of dielectric grease will solve a dead display problem.

Hopefully you haven't fried the TCM!

Good luck with Good Sam and the Allison Tech.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Update: He tried the TCM and said the voltages were not right with the old one, the new one reads good. Still no light on the shifter so off to Miami he goes to get one. He told us those shifters almost never go bad. We are up to $2 or $3K already by my guess and still stuck in the same place.

DW is already talking about buying a condo or just move south and sell the MH

EDIT: BTW Good Sam RSA will not pay for a parts run, just the initial trip there and back.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Solved

It turns out the problem was an open wire from the TCM to the shifter. Must have been a dirty open because it read 12v but would not ohm out. We ran a temporary wire and it fired right up. The Allison tech actually stayed till after midnight working on it.

Now we will have to crawl under and run the wire permanently but it got us to our destination.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

Is it possible that a nasty little mouse may have done some chewing on that wire?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mark,

Is it possible that a nasty little mouse may have done some chewing on that wire?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I wonder the same thing Richard. After we get back to the sticks and bricks house we plan to pull out as much of the wire loom as possible and try to find the cause. If one wire is bad who knows if more have been damaged.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck in tracking down the reason.

Have a safe journey.

BTW, we are headed back to Alaska for one more time to spend the summer with sons and grand kids. Then it is off to the east side of the country for a number of years to spend time with my aging siblings.

We will be wintering in Florida and spending summers in Canada and upstate NY.

Possibly we may hook up once again on our travels. Since we last saw you guys while in the Keys there have been many modifications to R HOME and it all started with the installation of the Samsung Fridge and LPG stove-top.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
UPDATE: The problem was indeed just a wire. After discussing the 7 hour round trip of about 230 miles to get a part we did not need Florida Detroit Diesel Allison (FDDA) agreed to ten hours labor. When we got the charge on our Visa it was $2100. We had no invoice, bill or any other itemized receipt.

After numerous calls to FDDA and the the tech who stonewalled us by never answering calls from me we challenged the charges with Visa. We still have no invoice and even Visa said it didn't sound like they could come up with one for them either. Visa tells us we are getting a $700 credit. The other option is to continue to fight it to get all of the money back and possibly not win. I agreed to ten hours and that puts us just about at that so we went along with the credit. Still have no invoice to see what exactly we paid for though.

BTW one call to the was to give him some info I found. I called a friend at Penn Detroit Diesel and asked why the shifter needed to be powered all the way from the rear of the coach. Why can't I just pick up 12V from the fuse panel that is in the compartment right under it? Sure enough the Allison tech he works with said as long as it is ignition switched and use a 10amp fuse it should work and it did.

I bought what they call a fuse tap from NAPA. You remove a fuse and plug it in. It has a slot for the original and a new one with a wire lead to power whatever you are adding. It makes for a nice neat job.

Tags
allison