Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #1

Allison transmission

We had just got off the hwy in North Carolina mountains for a bite to eat, I stopped at a traffic light and then when it turned green I pushed the accelerator and It was like I had no power to go? The engine was running but I could not get up and go? Then as I pulled into a parking lot I noticed the check transmission light was on. So I went through the push button checking with the selector key pad and it said fluid levels were good? Any ideas? The temperature gauge never read hot either? Something about the limp home mode is all I could get from the manuals also? Thanks,
Warflo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warflo1 View Post
We had just got off the hwy in North Carolina mountains for a bite to eat, I stopped at a traffic light and then when it turned green I pushed the accelerator and It was like I had no power to go? The engine was running but I could not get up and go? Then as I pulled into a parking lot I noticed the check transmission light was on. So I went through the push button checking with the selector key pad and it said fluid levels were good? Any ideas? The temperature gauge never read hot either? Something about the limp home mode is all I could get from the manuals also? Thanks,

The first thing I would do is order a sample kit from here:

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/

Tom Johnson owns this company and is the retired Allison engineer who wrote the fluid specs for Allison. He authored a thread over on the Allison forum here on IRV2.

Pull a sample & when you get your report, post over on Tom's thread. If you want to talk to him directly, he will be happy to advise you.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
WELCOME to the iRV2 Forum!

What make, model, year and engine manufacture is your coach? How many miles on her?

My first thought when reading your post was maybe a sticking exhaust valve was keeping your engine from developing power. That happened to me last year, and the symptoms were exactly like yours...stopping at a traffic signal and then no power to move but a few MPH.

But the "check transmission light" comment you made kind of makes makes me thing it's is something else going on. Was everything OK before you decided to stop? Getting the fluid checked is a great idea, as well as contacting the Allison Transmission guy.

Hope everything works out, and please keep us posted, OK?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
If you are still having this issue try this make certain your engine brake is off air pressure above 100psi turn engine off wait a minute or two and restart if your problem is gone you have a sticking exhaust brake. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #5

Did the engine RPM go up when you pushed the accelerator?
If not, you may have an engine throttle position sensor issue or something like that.
If it's a 3000 or 4000 series trans (it should be since you've got an oil level sensor you can check on the shfiter) you can get the trouble codes right on the shift selector and that will tell you what the transmission control module is thinking is wrong.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

I recently had an issue, that l had lost 1st and 2nd gears put into 3rd it slipped a little and started moving, got up into higher gears and drove 750 miles. I did not have a problem with the engine, idle on engine went up with throttle 6.3.00a.m
hunting fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

My transmission went into limp mode one time when my voltage dropped too low. Alternator fixed mine.
PGCI2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
If the transmission light is on I would think that the TCM has pick up a fault and put the transmission in to limp mode. There is a way to clear the fault but I don't remember how. Do a search on the internet.

Tags
allison, transmission