RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #29

Currently replacing the 3rd trans with the 4th, 89k miles on DP. 1@70k,#2@75,#3@89. Only this last was on us. A crushing thing and I empathise very completely.

Cat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #30

Filters 1 month ago. Allison filters for that transmission.
The differential/axle is very clean. No mud at all. Western Star found a wire spliced into the torque converter lock up wiring. Running it down now. Whew...? Wish I could find my posts after I leave for awhile. I stumbled here luckily, reading about the other trans prob.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Iím sorry to hear about you folks bad luck with transmissions.

In an effort to draw out more information Iíd like to verify the torque converter was replaced each time the transmission was repaired.

Thanks for the ďdirt clodĒ tip. Iíll be checking mine this afternoon.

Could someone tell me a ballpark price for having the 3000 series transmission replaced ? I donít remember this tidbit going by.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Iím sorry to hear about you folks bad luck with transmissions.

In an effort to draw out more information Iíd like to verify the torque converter was replaced each time the transmission was repaired.

Thanks for the ďdirt clodĒ tip. Iíll be checking mine this afternoon.

Could someone tell me a ballpark price for having the 3000 series transmission replaced ? I donít remember this tidbit going by.

Mine was rebuilt in-house for about $6000.
cmduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat568 View Post
Currently replacing the 3rd trans with the 4th, 89k miles on DP. 1@70k,#2@75,#3@89. Only this last was on us. A crushing thing and I empathise very completely.

Man, that's rough. Have you been able to determine any particular cause for so many failures?
cmduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I’m sorry to hear about you folks bad luck with transmissions.

In an effort to draw out more information I’d like to verify the torque converter was replaced each time the transmission was repaired.

Thanks for the “dirt clod” tip. I’ll be checking mine this afternoon.

Could someone tell me a ballpark price for having the 3000 series transmission replaced ? I don’t remember this tidbit going by.
The 3000 uses a torque converter that can be rebuilt. The one on the 1000/2000 is a sealed unit that has to be replaced.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #35

No one will believe this. Western Star replaced 3rd trans today with 4th. A Weller reman. They disconnected the unknown wire on the torque converter lock up circuit. Test drove with and test drove without the extra mystery wire. No difference. They had computer hooked up. Everything o.k. I came to pick up, and start for Spokane. Started it, warmed up 35 min, said sump too cold to check trans level. O.k.? Used to do it after 15 min. Here's the part.... put in drive, went 60', stopped, N, and then reverse to clear other trucks in parking lot. Shifted hard (at idle) I thought, ok, its learning, no problems. BUT that was all. Check trans light came on. No shift. No movement. Large sigh... mechanic came out, said "oh oh" or something, hooked diagnostic computer up, ran some tests and said "we gotta pull trans. #3 solenoid not working" Now, I understand, things happen. Fri afternoon, 1 hr till quitting time. Nothing happens till monday. No problem. Warranty repair. I'm actually a reasonable, calm person. But wow. If you have followed any of our story... It's beyond remarkable. And we thought the extra wire was the reason for failures. It's now disconnected. Some of Allisons top engineers were trying to figure this out, and the brilliant members here. Guys who wrote the books, designed the insides of the transmissions, and created the fluids that make them run 300,000 mi with no problems. Oh well, fix Monday. Drive Tuesday to new grandbaby in Spokane. Probably. We hope. This really happened today.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

The good part is it happened in the parking lot. No towing on roadside.

No way to blame that failure on the operator.

It's time to call the local Witch Dr. and get this curse removed.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #37

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat568 View Post
No one will believe this. Western Star replaced 3rd trans today with 4th. A Weller reman. They disconnected the unknown wire on the torque converter lock up circuit. Test drove with and test drove without the extra mystery wire. No difference. They had computer hooked up. Everything o.k. I came to pick up, and start for Spokane. Started it, warmed up 35 min, said sump too cold to check trans level. O.k.? Used to do it after 15 min. Here's the part.... put in drive, went 60', stopped, N, and then reverse to clear other trucks in parking lot. Shifted hard (at idle) I thought, ok, its learning, no problems. BUT that was all. Check trans light came on. No shift. No movement. Large sigh... mechanic came out, said "oh oh" or something, hooked diagnostic computer up, ran some tests and said "we gotta pull trans. #3 solenoid not working" Now, I understand, things happen. Fri afternoon, 1 hr till quitting time. Nothing happens till monday. No problem. Warranty repair. I'm actually a reasonable, calm person. But wow. If you have followed any of our story... It's beyond remarkable. And we thought the extra wire was the reason for failures. It's now disconnected. Some of Allisons top engineers were trying to figure this out, and the brilliant members here. Guys who wrote the books, designed the insides of the transmissions, and created the fluids that make them run 300,000 mi with no problems. Oh well, fix Monday. Drive Tuesday to new grandbaby in Spokane. Probably. We hope. This really happened today.
CAT568,
Based on the large amount of very small particle debris (4-6 micron) that the oil analysis found in the filter system, I'd focus on the shift solenoid valves on the control valve body. These solenoids have a fine filter on them that may have been effected by the very first failure. Were they ever functional checked for pressure and flow? If it's clutch debris, then it would be very fine (like dust). This size debris can pass right through the main and lube filters because they are much larger media size (50 microns). The scavenge filter on the controls is even more coarse than that. So, it could be that the solenoids need to be replaced and the control valve body flushed out. The control valves are 2-stage. The spool valves are the second stage and the first stage is the solenoid valve. If the solenoids get clogged, it could effect clutch engagement and disengagement.

I'd take it to an Allison dealer close to you and have them go over the control valve body with a "fine toothed comb". With that and the wire fix, you should be back in business for a long long time !!!

You can find your nearest Allison dealer or distributor by entering your address here: https://allisontransmission.com/sales-service-locator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54cf80791dacec49c265413635727a04.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	223395  
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #38

4th trans failure, internal wiring harness. That's what the computer says anyhow. 6hr job.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #39

Thank You Tom. Looks like I have hope again for a solution. I've been camped in the Allison dealer in Ridgefield WA for 7 days. Allison distributor next door. I'll immediately look into it.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #40

A conclusion to our mystery transmission failures. The electronic control module was burning them up. Figured it out, after the 4th transmission broke down twice in 30 miles. First time in their parking lot, replaced complete valve body on number 4. Went 30 miles and stuck in N again, (I mentioned first breakdown in thread, second failure of number 4 seemed to ridiculous to be believed) So, it wasn't Cummins, Eaton, or Monaco's fault.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks for closing the loop. Here's hoping that the current Allison lives a long and happy life.

Best,

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission