RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Allison Transmission Leak

I have a 2002 Journey, Cat 330, Allison 6 speed (MD3000MH), about 30,100 miles on it…. Transmission last serviced at approx 25k miles…

While in a rest area last weekend, engine running, I noticed something dripping from the transmission area. I moved the coach forward and found the liquid was red, so suspected a transmission leak.

Today, applied a spray cleaner, and cleaned up the transmission. Waited for it to dry, then started the engine, and crawled under to see what I could see….

I found a leak, rear housing, at the output shaft end of the transmission. It’s not at a seam, I can’t see a crack (not saying there ain’t one, just I can’t see it). I used a paper towel to soak up the transmission fluid, and more immediately came out through the housing, same place.

Has anyone ever run across something like this?

Short of replacing the rear housing, any ideas how to stop the leak?

gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
RKL

allison transmission leak

I would first check, using the control pad, to see if you have an overfill of trans fluid...If not it sounds like a seal on the shaft has broken or cracked...Sometimes driving it after it has sat for a long time will soften the seal and stop the leak....good luck, RKL

Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #3

George: Just a friendly reminder to keep adding fluid to maintain the proper level until you get the leak stopped.

Allison says a slow leak that allows you to keep moving with too little fluid is more harmful than a sudden loss of all the fluid, which actually prevents damage by forcing you to stop.
ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
RKL.. Thanks for responding.. The leak is through the housing itself, not even close to a seal of gasket.

Ed... Once I found it was leaking, I immediately checked the fluid level, so far so good. But to be sure, I'm buying Trans fluid to carry just in case it's needed.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote