Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Allison Transmission Life Expectancy

Lots of good advice about diesel engine life expectancy here. But I wonder, what about the transmission? What is the B50 design life for an Allison 3000MH transmission? I've been trying to contact Allison directly but no luck yet.

I'm considering a '09 Newmar with an ISL/Allison3000MH drivetrain and 165K miles. Except for Prevost rigs, I don't see much out there with over 100K miles on it. Not worried about the ISL but what about the Allison? If its been properly maintained, what should my expectations for continued use be. And secondarily, is it likely to fail catastrophically or gracefully? Or put another way, will I be able to drive it home to fix it?
boaterbobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't answer your question but will be following the thread as I also have the Allison 3000! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

I have seen them last 20,000 hours which is a usually a tougher measure, than miles, as this was in Feed Trucks that saw a lot of stop and go plus rough roads. Will be interesting to see what the experts say.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

I am concerned about a few things in our coach. The engine and transmission are not among them. They are built a LOT better than the things in the house.

They are the least of my worries.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission