Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Allison Transmission Maintenance

As new user i have red through previous posts trying to educate myself on the Allison Transmission Maintenance.

I have the 2006 Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 Vortec engine and Allison 6 speed transmission.

Where do I find the transmission model #? I located the S/N and manufacturer date stamped on the transmission housing, ie.
Date: A 06D20
SN:6310640821

I want to change the transmission fluid and filters since I have no maintenance history and no manuals. Is there a site that documents the procedure? Where do I purchase the filters/fluid? Can the local Napa/Oreilly parts stores reference the flilters with Allison SN?

I plan to change to synthetic while in the process.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

My Transmission Go to the provided link and enter your serial number and all your info will come up. The manufacture tag will be on the side of the trans. A heavy truck parts store will be able to help you with fluid and filters after you get your info off the mfg tag.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Thanks very much, site is very helpful
Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #4

How do I confirm if this model has the selector controlled oil level check? I do have the standard dipstick although from previous posts the dipstick is not as accurate.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

RV Tech Library - Checking Allison Fluid Levels with the Keypad
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
How do I confirm if this model has the selector controlled oil level check? I do have the standard dipstick although from previous posts the dipstick is not as accurate.
Gary:
Your Allison 1000 6 speed came from WCC loaded with Castrol TranSynd ATF. I would recommend you get a sample kit and have the fluid tested before replacing it. ANY fluid meeting Allison spec TES-295 will be expensive (~$50.00/gallon) and you'll need at least 5 gallons to do the double drain and refill procedure. The ONLY filter you need to replace is the red external spin-on, Allison part # 29539579, which costs less than $15.00 at most Allison distributors (more at GM stores). If the analysis comes back good, I'd just change the filter and drive on.

WCC did not provide a "selector" that allows you to read the fluid levels, period. The dipstick is your only friend.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #7

Commercial Member

If you don't use JG Lubricant Services for the fluid analysis, I'll still be happy to interpret the results for you.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #8

Transmission Fluid Analysis

Tom,
Thanks for your offer...I am considering changing it out since I do not have any service records. The unit has 27K miles, the outside transmission spin on filter and engine oil filters have been changed recently. I have no idea about the other transmission filter if it has ever been changed. Fluids in engine and transmission look good. I am thinking starting from scratch on maintenance records although the initial cost will be higher, shouldn't need to change it anytime soon after this change.
Will a fluid analysis determine the type of fluid currently in it to save me on the second change?
Gary
Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
.......... The unit has 27K miles, the outside transmission spin on filter and engine oil filters have been changed recently. I have no idea about the other transmission filter if it has ever been changed......
Will a fluid analysis determine the type of fluid currently in it to save me on the second change?
Gary
Gary: the only "other" filter is inside the Allison 1000, and it is changed ONLY when the tranny is being rebuilt. IOW, it isn't user serviceable.

Even though your TranSynd may be 10 years old, unless it has become contaminated, with only 27K miles, it is likely still good and analysis can confirm that for you.

Regarding your question, I think Tom will tell you "YES, that is the whole point of analysis"
Ed
Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #10

ED,
Thanks for the update..I was under the impression there was also a pan filter that required changing as well from postings that I read.. Haven't started this project yet and will get the fluids analyzed to at least insure the type currently being used.
Haven't inspected yet to see if there is a drain plug, maybe that was the reason the pan was removed to drain. There is an Allison service center in town where I can get everything needed.
thanks..
Gary
Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

An update to Transynd Costs. I just changed my trans. filters & Fluid. (3000 MH) & Stewart & Stevenson in Houston has dropped the Transynd to about $35.00 per gallon.
connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
ED,
Thanks for the update..I was under the impression there was also a pan filter that required changing as well from postings that I read.. Haven't started this project yet and will get the fluids analyzed to at least insure the type currently being used.
Haven't inspected yet to see if there is a drain plug, maybe that was the reason the pan was removed to drain. There is an Allison service center in town where I can get everything needed.
thanks..
Gary
Yes, your 1000 series has a drain plug, so no need to drop the pan.

IF you decide to R & R your TranSynd ATF, you should expect 10-12 quarts will immediately drain out with the plug removed, more if you let it sit longer. Be sure to accurately measure how much drained so you will know how much to refill. DO NOT overfill.

IF you want to "completely" replace the fluid, you need to do the "double drain" procedure (a second drain after a short drive to warm and circulate the fluid) for the ATF refill to be considered near 100% fresh fluid, and you would replace the spin-on filter just prior to the second refill. This wasteful procedure is why the analysis is a good idea. OBTW, Allison does not recommend having a shop do a "power flush". And dropping the pan won't renew the fluid trapped in the torque converter, hence the double drain proceedure.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #13

When you perform the "double drain" you must be running the transmission low on fluid(since you just drained 10 quarts). Is this correct? Refilling and draining the second time still would not completely replace the entire fluids only dilute it down. Am I understanding the procedure correctly? thanks..
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #14

Commercial Member

Double Drain Procedure

Quote:
When you perform the "double drain" you must be running the transmission low on fluid(since you just drained 10 quarts). Is this correct? Refilling and draining the second time still would not completely replace the entire fluids only dilute it down. Am I understanding the procedure correctly? thanks..
Gary,
I've attached a copy of my "Double Drain" procedure. This is the quickest way to get to the Allison recommendations for TES-295 drain intervals.

Note: Allison drain interval schedules are based on the amount of TranSynd (or other TES-295 fluid) contained in the transmission system (transmission and cooler circuit). Since the torque converter cannot be drained, this double drain and refill procedure meets the requirements of Allison Engineering.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fluid and Filter Change Procedure.pdf (613.7 KB, 27 views)

hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission, maintenance