Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Al,
The thinning out process is called "polymer shear" or "sheardown" and it always happens with older technology DEXRON-III fluids. TES-295 approved fluids will not shear so there's no long term decrease in viscosity.

PS: See my markup (attached). Also, I've attached a link below to my Technical Paper on oils. This will help explain why the viscosity was too thin. What did you end up putting in the transmission to replace the old worn out DEXRON-III?
Hope this helps !!!
My hydraulic system uses 15 gallons of Dexron III. I guess I should be concerned about the age of the Dexron III in it? I'm not sure if or when it was changed.
If I change it, should I update to Dexron VI?

Transynd may be nice, but $750 to refill the hydraulic system seems painful.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #72

Are you talking about the transmission when you say "my hydraulic system uses 15 gallons ..."? That seems like a lot. My HD4000 (with 4" sump) holds 39 quarts (a service refill). That's almost 10 gallons.

Transynd is going for $42/gallon. And the equivalent Mobile Delvac 1 is about $40/gallon.

Still not cheap. Just wondering what your talking about regarding 15 gallons.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
No, sorry to add this in a trans discussion, but the fluid is the same. It's the hydraulic system that runs the engine fans and power steering.

Have you changed your hydraulic oil and filter yet?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Have you changed your hydraulic oil and filter yet?
Not yet. I'm still recovering financially from changing the engine oil and transmission fluid.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #75

Looks like I can order and pickup Valvoline Syn Gard ATF at my local NAPA for $39.99 + tax. So if I'm going to do a double drain and refill, I'll need 4 gallons (16 quarts) for my Allison 1000? Plus a filter. I assume I replace the filter once, during the first drain and refill.

Somehow I see a big red driveway stain in my future.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Looks like I can order and pickup Valvoline Syn Gard ATF at my local NAPA for $39.99 + tax. So if I'm going to do a double drain and refill, I'll need 4 gallons (16 quarts) for my Allison 1000? Plus a filter. I assume I replace the filter once, during the first drain and refill.

Somehow I see a big red driveway stain in my future.
I've changed mine several times over the past years and I usually get about 10 to 11 quarts on a drain. So I'm thinking you will need about 20 quarts and if you want to carry a spare quart you will need to buy a bit more.

I replaced the spin on filter at the first drain when I switched to Transynd a couple years ago.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #77

Neighbor has a new to him 2003 Monaco with ISL370 and Allison 3xxx coach. Receipts show change, double fluid change, to Mobile Delvac TES-295 fluid. It states filter change, but does not specify if it is the Extended Filter or not.

This was about 50K miles, and just under 6 years ago, of usage from the previous owner.

He's going to pull a sample to have the fluid tested, but he's confused on if he should go in and have the fluid drained, and the filter changed. He called one shop, and they said they'd drain the fluid into clean containers, and change the filter to Extended Filter, and pour the TEs-295 back in. (All for just under ~$300.)

He's wondering if he should just wait, pull a sample and get it tested, and if the filter needs changing if the fluid sample comes back as in in good shape?

(I recently went thru this, posting here a few pages back. Before this years extended travels, I'll be sending in a sample for analysis, before deciding on if I should have the filter changed or not... Frankly, these transmissions in our RV's - do live a pampered life!).

My neighbor does not post, so asked if I would ask for guidance for him. (Again, he will pull a sample. But, he's thinking if he really should have the filter itself serviced due to number of years - he'd just go ahead and have the fluid replaced too... I'm trying to have him hold off, and for sure pull that sample - as it will give him a baseline for the future. But, understand his concern about the filter, based upon number of years...) By the way, the 'shop' he talked to is 'Allison Certified' - but oddly he said they seemed more interested in having him come in for normal service fluid/filter transmission change, and when asked if that would include the newer Extended Filter, the gent on the phone stated to tap dance. So, left him that much more uncertain.)

I told him I'd post what's going on, and print out responses.

TIA,
Smitty
Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Neighbor has a new to him 2003 Monaco with ISL370 and Allison 3xxx coach. Receipts show change, double fluid change, to Mobile Delvac TES-295 fluid. It states filter change, but does not specify if it is the Extended Filter or not.

This was about 50K miles, and just under 6 years ago, of usage from the previous owner.

He's going to pull a sample to have the fluid tested, but he's confused on if he should go in and have the fluid drained, and the filter changed. He called one shop, and they said they'd drain the fluid into clean containers, and change the filter to Extended Filter, and pour the TEs-295 back in. (All for just under ~$300.)

He's wondering if he should just wait, pull a sample and get it tested, and if the filter needs changing if the fluid sample comes back as in in good shape?

(I recently went thru this, posting here a few pages back. Before this years extended travels, I'll be sending in a sample for analysis, before deciding on if I should have the filter changed or not... Frankly, these transmissions in our RV's - do live a pampered life!).

My neighbor does not post, so asked if I would ask for guidance for him. (Again, he will pull a sample. But, he's thinking if he really should have the filter itself serviced due to number of years - he'd just go ahead and have the fluid replaced too... I'm trying to have him hold off, and for sure pull that sample - as it will give him a baseline for the future. But, understand his concern about the filter, based upon number of years...) By the way, the 'shop' he talked to is 'Allison Certified' - but oddly he said they seemed more interested in having him come in for normal service fluid/filter transmission change, and when asked if that would include the newer Extended Filter, the gent on the phone stated to tap dance. So, left him that much more uncertain.)

I told him I'd post what's going on, and print out responses.

TIA,
Smitty
Well that was a simple one. He called me to set up breakfast today, and said he'd decided to just go ahead and pull the sample and have the fluid change at the same time he has the filter serviced. HE says then he will have the analysis as a baseline, and go two years and pull another sample to see how things are looking with the new fluid... He's retired, and will take his time to find a score sale price on the TES-295!

So, this question was answered by the owner!

By the way, very similar to what I'm doing. Pulling a sample on our 6 year old TES-295, change filter (To Extended/High Capacity if available for our 3000.), and put in new TES-295 at that time. Same thing, in either 2 years, or 20K miles, whatever comes first - I'll pull a new sample and do the same comparison.

As light of duty as this RV has done in the last ~50K miles, I expect the current TES-295 would test as OK - but not a major costs to do new fluid when I get the filter changed.

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
allison