Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Allison won't shift into OD

We are on our Maiden voyage in a 2003 Scottsdale 3456. W22, 8.1 Allison. We have owned it for 6 days. We had a lot of hills / rain yesterday. I shifterd in and out of OD with the dash switch often. Toweards the end of the day it quit working, just stayed in 4th. Thoughts? Thanks!
Mixmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry! My Bad. After reading other posts I reralize with the grades and rain I was driving about 55. Today when I got past 57 it shifted as it is supposed to! Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you found the problem but my question is, why did you have to shift in and out of overdrive so often. If the tranny is constantly shifting then turn OD off and leave it off until you hit more level terrain.

Also the OD should work down to about 40 MPH.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmanbob View Post
Sorry! My Bad. After reading other posts I reralize with the grades and rain I was driving about 55. Today when I got past 57 it shifted as it is supposed to! Thanks.
Lot of difference between a 1000 series shift pattern,gasser, and that of a 3000/3060 trans, that the pushers use. My 3060 won't shift to 6th, 2nd O/D gear till speed is over 57mph. I'm with Wizard, I think your coach should hit O/D , 5th, sooner than 57mph.
What RPM are you turning when it shifts ?
If the RPM on the 4th to 5th shift is higher than the , RPM of the 3rd 4th shift, and the road grade is similar, you may have a problem.
How is the fluid color ? Any service records for the trans?
RAIN may be the key word here, early allison trans in p/u's were known to have issuses with water in electrical connectors at the trans; sometimes they would default to neutral.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am using the OD as a grade brake as suggested by the Allison manual that came in the MH. Seems helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the shift to OD occurs about 2700. I will watch the shift points when we are back on the road Monday. It runs about 2000 in OD at 57. The trans fluid is clean and smells OK. We left Yakima, Wa. in this rig after owning it for 5 days and driving it about 5 miles. It was kind of scary not to have more expierence with it but we have had a great trip. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
I am using the OD as a grade brake as suggested by the Allison manual that came in the MH. Seems helpful. Thanks.
Mixmanbob: Congrats on your new purchase! As a former 2003 W-22 Newmar owner, I can assure you that your strategy is CORRECT. Later chassis models have a TGB feature switch, but using the 5 to 4 downshift via the O/D switch is a great way to prevent over-using your service brakes. As others have said, just leave it in 4th when travelling hilly terrain, you can drive all day in fourth without harming anything, other than the MPG number, and that won't be "much".

Regardless of your miles, I would like to suggest you change the tranny over to TranSynd ATF and replace the external filter, unless you KNOW this has been done recently.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reply. I have noticed the posts about TranSynd and will study more. It seems like a good idea. I am fairly handy, can this be done at home or should I have a shop do it? The previous owner bought in 2009 and stated he had done nothing to the trans. I am certian it still has the Dextron III. I am learning much from this site. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have noticed the posts about TranSynd and will study more. It seems like a good idea. I am fairly handy, can this be done at home or should I have a shop do it? The previous owner bought in 2009 and stated he had done nothing to the trans. I am certian it still has the Dextron III. I am learning much from this site. Thanks again.
IMO, it is quite easy, and you should do it SOON regardless of total miles.

Buy 5 ea one gallon containers of TranSynd (or other TES295 approved fluid for ~$35.00 gallon. Buy 1 Allison 29539579 spin on filter, ~ $10.00. Best pricing will be at the Allison DISTRIBUTOR in your area.

Remove tranny pan drain plug (only) and plan to catch approx. 10.5 qts of old fluid in suitable container. If possible, measure how much actually drained out, so you won't "waste" new fluid. Please dispose properly.

Using a manual or electrical pump and a piece of clear tubing that will fit inside the dipstick tube, suck the new fluid from its jug and replace "approximately" the same amount that drained out with the new TES295 fluid. Go drive the coach for 30 miles and return. Drain again, and this time replace the filter, re-using the washer-looking magnet after wiping it clean on a paper towel. Refill again using new TES295 fluid. Go drive again to warm it up, and then check the dipstick level with motor running in park on level site. Add more fluid if necessary, but don't over-fill because it WILL blow out the vent if you add too much. You have just completed the Allison approved "double drain" proceedure and you probably won't need to do it ever again. Annual fluid testing will confirm that the fluid is good without spending big bucks again, unless contamination is found by testing. You can change the spin on filter every two years if that makes you feel better. Good luck, enjoy your new toy! Ed
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great Information, Thanks Ed. Would there be any advantage to having the Trans warmed up before the initial drain?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Great Information, Thanks Ed. Would there be any advantage to having the Trans warmed up before the initial drain?
UNLESS it very cold where you are, not really. It will drain out just fine without getting it "hot".

Putting the new stuff in the dipstick tube is the biggest PIA, but a pump will do most of that work for you. POURING from gallon jugs into a funnel is NOT fun, but it can be done that way if a pump is just not available. Ed
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks!

Tags
allison