RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Auxilliary Trans Cooler

Has anyone installed an auxilliary trans cooler on a Workhorse W24? What did you do and what did you do about the lines? Coach is a 2008 and doesnt have one.

Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Has anyone installed an auxilliary trans cooler on a Workhorse W24? What did you do and what did you do about the lines? Coach is a 2008 and doesnt have one.
I have a 2003 Workhorse W20. The engines and transmissions are the same and I think the frames may be the same as well.

In September 2017 on an unusually hot day I pulled the west side of Wolf Creek Pass towing my Jeep. Just before I reached the summit I got a temperature warning.

After much research I chose to install a PPE finned aluminum transmission pan. This pan adds about a quart of oil above the stock deep pan. The fins extend up into the transmission fluid on the inside and hang down in the air stream on the outside. I liked this option because I didn't have to break into the plumbing to the current oil cooler in the radiator. See here:https://www.amazon.com/PPE-ALUMINUM-...70_&dpSrc=srch

My MH had about 50K miles. I purchased it used and didn't know the level of maintenance it had so I elected to replace the fluid with Transynd TES-295.

The PSE pan has a port for a temperature sender. I now monitor my transmission temp and last summer with temp as high as 100F and on many long grades of 6%+ I never saw temps exceeding 200F.

I'm happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0212.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	224931  

yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
trans pan

Did you also install a trans temp guage? And what kind? Dont know if it will fit mine being I have the 2000 series 6spd
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Did you also install a trans temp guage? And what kind? Dont know if it will fit mine being I have the 2000 series 6spd
I believe the 1000 and 2000 Allison use the same pan. See this listing from Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...1000/overview/

The Guage I used was:

https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Tin...mp+gauge+300+f

I mounted mine in the dash along with a vacuum gauge (See below) but you could use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Uni...hift+guage+pod
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0213.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	225015  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #5

I like the looks of that pan and extra capacity. Wonder if it fits my 2100 that I have in my W24.

Looks like a filter change is required to get the pickup lower, is that an actual Allison filter they provide with the pan?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I like the looks of that pan and extra capacity. Wonder if it fits my 2100 that I have in my W24.

Looks like a filter change is required to get the pickup lower, is that an actual Allison filter they provide with the pan?
It looks as though the 1000/2000 transmissions in all their variations use the same pan and filter. My 1000M had a deep pan on it already. The genuine Allison filter for deep pans works in the PPE pan.

The shallow pans were for the lighter duty applications like the 2500 series trucks from GM. My friends 2017 3500 Dually has a deep pan from the factory. If you look under your MH you can tell if you have the deep pan with just a glance. The deep pan is about 4" deep and the same depth front to back. The shallow pan is sloped front to back and only a couple inches deep.

The PPE pan has a capacity of about 1qt more than the deep pan. If your only goal is more fluid it doesn't help much over a the Allison deep pan. The cooling fins are what attracted me. Last summer while cruising in 90F temps towing my Jeep my temps ran about 140F. They approached 200F on long steep climbs.

Attached is a picture of the pan I removed from my MH.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0295.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	225051  
Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I would second the deeper, finned pan. Putting another cooler in line with the factory one could restrict flow.
We have the W24 chassis under our 2008 rig also. I installed a temp gauge and the normal operating temp is 80-85C. On a hot day, pulling our Ranger pu, loaded with either bicycles or a motorcycle, it will climb to 95-100C.
I did have it go up to 115 or so a couple of times, pulling around 7,000 pounds of 2009 MB GL350 on a trailer up long hills in hot weather. The high trans temp warning came on then!
I just came home after a 15,000 km. trip a couple weeks ago, and it's working like a champ. I plan to have the oil annalized to see if it's time to change it this winter as there is just over 100,000 km on it now.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unplanned,

You didn't say specifically but I have the impression that you installed a ribbed pan on your MH too. Is that correct?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
It looks as though the 1000/2000 transmissions in all their variations use the same pan and filter. My 1000M had a deep pan on it already. The genuine Allison filter for deep pans works in the PPE pan.

The shallow pans were for the lighter duty applications like the 2500 series trucks from GM. My friends 2017 3500 Dually has a deep pan from the factory. If you look under your MH you can tell if you have the deep pan with just a glance. The deep pan is about 4" deep and the same depth front to back. The shallow pan is sloped front to back and only a couple inches deep.

The PPE pan has a capacity of about 1qt more than the deep pan. If your only goal is more fluid it doesn't help much over a the Allison deep pan. The cooling fins are what attracted me. Last summer while cruising in 90F temps towing my Jeep my temps ran about 140F. They approached 200F on long steep climbs.

Attached is a picture of the pan I removed from my MH.

Just want to make sure I understand the swap. Obviously the pan itself, but the only part needed to accommodate the pan is the special deep pan filter? I have done some online research and see things about deep pan filter locks. Not sure what that is and if it is required for this pan. Any insight would be appreciated. I do have the standard pan on mine and did my first fluid swap to Transynd and am due for my second, so that would be a good time to upgrade the pan as well if I am going to do this.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just want to make sure I understand the swap. Obviously the pan itself, but the only part needed to accommodate the pan is the special deep pan filter? I have done some online research and see things about deep pan filter locks. Not sure what that is and if it is required for this pan. Any insight would be appreciated. I do have the standard pan on mine and did my first fluid swap to Transynd and am due for my second, so that would be a good time to upgrade the pan as well if I am going to do this.
The genuine Allison deep pan filter is the appropriate filter. It doesn't need anything else. There are filter locks available. Rumor has it that they will not work on current production Allison filters. If it would give you peace of mind here is the filter lock on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Lock-A...ep+filter+lock

I added nothing but a new genuine filter and the pan. Of course 4 gallons of transynd.

I've driven it about 7K miles since the pan went on.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found this webpage on the Allison web site. Enter the serial number of your transmission and get a build sheet.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/...y-transmission

See mine below. I have highlighted the part that shows the original build for mine had a deep pan.

Other interesting reading about the differences between the 1000 and 2000 series. Mostly differences in GVWR rating and parking pawl.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/...d.pdf?sfvrsn=8
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MY TRANSMISSION.pdf (272.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #12

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Unplanned,

You didn't say specifically but I have the impression that you installed a ribbed pan on your MH too. Is that correct?
No, still all stock. With the temps I am seeing, it is just fine. The one time it did get hot enough to set a warning, I was overloaded and maybe pulling a bit too hard. I have the Banks kit on it and it will make it up the hills a fair bit faster than it did stock. My bad!
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #13

Finally was able to determine my serial number, I already have the Allison deep pan
Old 11-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Finally was able to determine my serial number, I already have the Allison deep pan
I thought you probably had the deep pan. I am fairly sure that all motorhome applications of the 1000/2000 Allison have the deep pan from the factory.

The OP asked about an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler. I inadvertently change his thread to a discussion about transmission pans. I would never have considered any changes to reduce transmission temperature except I had an event pulling the west side of Wolf Creek Pass in 80-90F outside temperature. The transmission TCU set a temperature warning just as I crested the pass.

I think (think being the operative word) that the TCU sets the warning when sump temps reach 260F. I wanted to change transmission fluid because I didn't know the maintenance history and decided I would go with the deep pan while I was doing it to attempt to lower the temps. I found out I already had a deep pan. So I went the next step and put on the ribbed or finned pan.

I have no baseline temperatures other than the warning light. Flat road cruising at 60-65 MPH towing with a GCVW of about 24000 lbs I now get sump temperatures of 120-140F. It tops out at approximately 200F on long grades on Colorado and Wyoming passes like Monarch and Togwotee. I haven't downe the west side of Wolf Creek Pass since I put on the pan.

It seems that my current cruising temperature is 10-30F lower compared to the temps that most others are reporting. I have no way to know if this is different from the old pan.

Conclusion: If you don't and have never had a transmission heat problem then why bother. If you have had a heat problem then the finned aluminum pan is a viable option to consider.