Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Formula Shell ATF

Just had my allision 4000 tranny serviced at the Allision dealer here in Lubbock. The choice is either the Transynd or Shell ATF. The Shell ATF is the replacement for the Dextron II, Dextron III or Mercon.

I decided on the Shell ATF because I don't change things that are working correctly and I did not like the idea of having to change Transynd twice within 12 months.

The exact label of the fluid that the Allison dealer uses is:
FormulaShell - Automatic Transmission Fluid
For use in vehicles previously serviceable by Dexron III/Mercon Brands.

No where on the bottle does it list the Allison specification number.

photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuste View Post
No where on the bottle does it list the Allison specification number.
Some where on the container it should say meets or exceeds the requirement for TES-295 for Transynd.

The Allison website will have all the specification numbers for the fluid requireemnts for the 4000MH series transmission if that's what you have.

MH4000 Series (Non-Transynd)

C 4 Approved Fluids Tab Optimum performance and reliability of heavy-duty automatic transmissions can be noticeably influenced by the type of fluid used and the frequency with which that fluid is changed. Allison Transmission has designed extensive programs including specifications and tests to verify the quality of fluids and consequently have specific fluid and filter change recommendations. Due to field studies, changes in emission requirements, vehicle design, and operating environments, Allison Transmission has realigned recommended fluid and filter change intervals. Heavy-duty Automatic Transmission change intervals have been revised to more closely match today’s operating environments. In addition, GM has replaced DEXRONŽ-III with DEXRONŽ-VI effective January 1, 2007. Allison has made changes to 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 Product Families transmissions to be compatible with DEXRONŽ-VI. Allison has also created a new automatic transmission fluid specification, Schedule One TES 389. The new Allison specification gives OEMs and customers another approved fluid choice.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently had to make the same decision on my 2004 Allison 1000 series-equipped pickup truck. Go with the Dexron/Mercon or Transynd. After researching Allison's site I found that the following were the ONLY TES 295 certified brands.

TES 295 Approved Fluids http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...jsp?ThisPage=3

In the end, I changed over to Transynd. It's more expensive, but is also readily available and hopefully will continue to extend the life of my transmission.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Wagonmaster2: Here's my try...
I have been using Mobil-1 Syn ATF in my year 2000 Allison 1000 tranny since the 1st change. My older trans cannot use Dexron VI because the seals will melt. (Allison has corrected this problem in later year models)
Since I still have 2 cases of both types of Mobil-1 on hand, I called Allison Tech Support..
1. Both the older and the new multi-vehicle Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF still meet the Dextron III specifications.
2. They are compatible fluids and can be mixed in use.
The label for the new Mobil-1 states that it is recommended for 2005 and earlier GM transmissions. ---Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF (A different product--NOT Mobil-1) is recommended for 2006 and newer ..etc.
There are non synthetic, non-transynd ATF's that are still labelled as meeting Dexron III specifications. GM doesn't support their use in GM Transmissions. BUT my ALLISON transmission can't use Dex VI so my choice is a conventional ATF meeting Dexron III, Mobil-1 ATF or a TES-295 synthetic equivalent to Transynd.
And- Allison has a new specification TES 389 for a non-synthetic replacement for DexronIII. The certification application for that fluid starts with "Provide specifications showing how your fluid meets the prior Dexron III requirements".. and so far there are no approvals listed. (The only market for TES-389 apparently would be the older Allison transmissions)
GM does state Dexron-VI can be used in GM transmissions prior to 2006. You will have to ask Honda.
And then there is DexronIII in my power steering.. it has seals and gaskets too........(don't ask don't tell)
I sure hope this helps.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Reading the new label above for Mobil 1, it mentions Multi vehicle applications for 2005 and older vehicles requiring Dexon and then Mobil 1 VI for 2006 and newer vehicles. More confusion, for me anyway. Is there more than one Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF on the market or does one formula work in all vehicles, older than 2006 and newer than 2005? I have read, and stated by Allison, that the fluid labeled for 2006 and newer vehicles will damage the seals in 2005 and older vehicles. Does this not apply for Mobil 1? Is Mobil 1 Synthetic the same anytime the label says Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF?
I know this may be duplicate questions but sometimes us Seniors need to read something more than once for it to sink in. Thank you for your information and patience.

Wagonmaster2
check out AMSOIL universal synthetic atf fluid for automotive use, AMSOIL tes 295 synthetic fluid for allison use.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #20

Thanks for all the replys. Isn't it amazing that we almost have to be lubrication engineers just to put some fluid in our transmissions? Every manufacturer wants a specific fluid for their transmission, a different anti-freeze for their engine, a specific chassis lubricant, and so on. Life used to be so simple.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thanks for all the replys. Isn't it amazing...........Life used to be so simple.Wagonmaster2
Yup, but then I remember when Kendall used to brag about their oil being able to last 2,000 miles between changes, and having to "grind the valves" almost yearly on the family Plymouth. Also had a 49 Pontiac flathead that would not start until I dried out the moisture that would pool in the spark plug sockets. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I'm reading Ed's GM post correctly when it states, "It should be noted that, as with previous upgrades, DEXRONŽ-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware".

Doesn't that mean it can be used successfully in previously built transmissions? (With the exception of the Allison requirements). Sounds that way to me IMO.
Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygrayhound View Post
I guess I'm reading Ed's GM post correctly when it states, "It should be noted that, as with previous upgrades, DEXRONŽ-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware".

Doesn't that mean it can be used successfully in previously built transmissions? (With the exception of the Allison requirements). Sounds that way to me IMO.
Gene
Yes, Gene, I also think that is what GM is saying....HOWEVER, that "backward compatible" does NOT apply to Allison transmissions. ED
Old 07-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I appreciate the reminder Ed about Allison. BTW I'd like to support your statement about the early April '05 date when Workhorse started filling the Allisons with synthetic, as just last week WH got back to me about my '05 Suncruiser (chassis built in late '04) stating the same time frame for the change over.

While awaiting my printed trans oil analysis from Balckstone (I was surprised they couldn't tell from the sample whether I had synthetic or Dexron) I called WH. Blackstone said the additive package looked to be the same but without an actual syn sample they couldn't be certain. As it turned out, with 27,000 miles everything was excellent, but I think I'll change to Transynd anyway before a late summer drive to Las Vegas.

That double drain procedure...do you know if it is completed in the same visit, or do you drive it for "X" amount of miles and then drain it again? Thanks,
Gene

currently no toad
Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I appreciate the reminder Ed about Allison. BTW I'd like to support your statement about the early April '05 date when Workhorse started filling the Allisons with synthetic, as just last week WH got back to me about my '05 Suncruiser (chassis built in late '04) stating the same time frame for the change over.

While awaiting my printed trans oil analysis from Balckstone (I was surprised they couldn't tell from the sample whether I had synthetic or Dexron) I called WH. Blackstone said the additive package looked to be the same but without an actual syn sample they couldn't be certain. As it turned out, with 27,000 miles everything was excellent, but I think I'll change to Transynd anyway before a late summer drive to Las Vegas.

That double drain procedure...do you know if it is completed in the same visit, or do you drive it for "X" amount of miles and then drain it again? Thanks,
Gene
the double drain procedure depends on the shop that does your fluid change. some shops have flushing equipment, some don't.
i let my moho with the 5 sp 1000 tranny sit unstarted for about 3 weeks and drained 13.5 qts (including the filter) out of 14.1 qts. most of the torque converter fluid drained back to the pan. that's about a 95% fluid change, good enough for me. i used AMSOIL tes295 synthetic fluid.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #26

Quote:
......... with 27,000 miles everything was excellent, but I think I'll change to Transynd anyway before a late summer drive to Las Vegas.

Gene
GENE: When I first did my switch to TranSynd at 20K, after putting in the first "batch" I drove the MH about 10 miles just to warm it up and hopefully cause the old and new fluids to mix together via normal circulation. Then I did the second drain and refill with enough additional TranSynd to get to the proper level. I presumed that was "good nuff".

2 years later, after putting another 38,500 miles on the ODO, I did another drain and refill with TranSynd and changed the spin on filter. I'm now just over 87K and don't plan to replace the fluid again, as I believe I'm as close to 100% as I can get. The tranny shifts very smoothly both up and down, and even in mountain driving the scan gauge has never shown TFT exceeding 180 degrees. ED
Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks both...I'm leaning towards the Transynd and I'm hoping the Allison shop will do the most thorough thing? Sure hate to waste 3 + gallons of brand-new synthetic though! Gene

currently no toad
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Sure hate to waste 3 + gallons of brand-new synthetic though!
Gene, Take some consolation my friend. It's not a waste is the ends justify the means.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote