RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Drained 21 qts., filled 193/4 qts.shifter pad says 2 qts. over?

Good evening,
Need a little help here. Today I changed the main and lube filters on the motorhome Allison 3000 transmission. I drained the fluid first and then removed the filters. I got a total of 21 quarts from that. When I refilled I only put 19 3/4 quarts back in. Didn't want to overfill.
I started the motorhome and let the transmission heat up. According to the shifter pad level check I am now 2 qts. over filled. Don't see how that is possible when I put back in less then I removed. I did let the transmission temp get to 142 degrees so it would read correctly. I also drove it to let it go through the gear range and let it heat up to 168 degrees and when I got back and parked the shift pad level check function still says 2 qts. overfilled. I'm stumped. Hate to think that I am indeed over by 2 quarts.
Anybody have any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did you check it on level ground.

I checked mine last week first read ~(-1) quarts low, I thought the coach was parked on a level spot but when I checked it was off a little, moved to a level spot and check came up OL OK.

If you do have to remove some it might be easier to pull it out of the bottom dip stick tube (if you have one), should be pretty easy siphon using a small tube.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

Perhaps either the oil factor is generous with his fill quantities, or your measurements of what you took out are inaccurate.

What does the manual say.

What about the dipstick reading
Old 09-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure you did check the level with the touchpad before you drained the fluid to have verified that the original amount was at the correct level, but I have to ask.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Okay thanks to those that replied. To answer your questions. I moved the motorhome a few times in the driveway the other day when I was checking it to get it as level as I could. Our motorhome garage has a slight decline front to back, very little but I thought maybe that was causing the overfill reading. Still had the 2 quart overfill reading on the shift pad. Haven't checked with dipstick yet. Rear metal dipstick was gone when I pulled the cap off so don't know if the metal stick detached from the cap and slid down into tube or if there never was a dipsTick there. Honestly I can't remember if there was one there or not. I've just used the shift pad level check as long as I can remember.
As far as quantity accuracy. I guess it's possible that Allison did overfill their bottles but as far as my amounts removed I measured my containers with two quart measuring cups and water and marked the containers just so I would know how much I removed. I was very careful to be as accurate as I could be.
I didn't check the fluid level on the shift pad before I started but last month when we returned from a short trip I checked it and it was OL OK. Don't think it changed sitting there.
I will check it cold from the other dipstick and also warm it up again and check it both ways. I guess if it still says I'm 2 quarts high I will try to siphon some out or if I have to loosen the drain plug a little and drain some.
I guess I'm a little skeptical on the accuracy of the shift pad level sensor now. Kind of thinking if I remove some that then I'm going to register low then. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Well, figured out the problem. Relieved but kind of what was I thinking or in this case not thinking.
When I was checking the shift pad indication. It was indicating O L O2 or so I thought mean't oil level was over 2 quarts. Wasn't watching the indicator close enough and missed the 2nd L each time. It was really indicating O L L O 2. after I re read my instructions it dawned on me that the shift selector should be indicating O L H I 2 if it was indeed over filled. what it was indicating was that it was 2 quarts low which would make sense according to my drain and refill amounts. Added a qt and half and indicator is O K now.
Sheesh, kind of dumb on my part but all is lined up in the world now and making sense.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #7

It usually becomes obvious-after the fact. I've read it wrong before as well. Glad your mystery is solved!

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 09-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #8

It's great they "problems" sometimes work out like that.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led