Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Clayobx, has anyone ever told you your picture(avatar) with that pose looks strikingly similar to Mark Harmon(Jetro on NCIS)? Just curious.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Different thread, but most there indicated Economy mode was not grabbing much more than .3 to .4 MPG. That's my experience, if that.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Whether to use it or not depends solely on the type of terrain that you are driving in. It won't do anything beneficial on flat lands or mountain terrain. It works best on rolling hills.

All it does is exactly what Mr. D explained earlier. The downshift point is changed by about 200 rpm which means that the Allison will NOT downshift so often causing a decrease in mpg. Again, how much of an improvement in mpg is dependent on your foot and the terrain.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
My o3 Journey with 300 ISB and Allison 3000 does not seem to have a ECO mode. Yes the button is there but no red light ever comes on when pushed. Is it possible that the eco mode was never programmed?
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
My o3 Journey with 300 ISB and Allison 3000 does not seem to have a ECO mode. Yes the button is there but no red light ever comes on when pushed. Is it possible that the eco mode was never programmed?
Have you noticed any difference after pushing the mode button? Perhaps the light is just not functioning. My engine remains in the same gear longer before downshifting, which IMO is a good thing as maximum torque is under 1,600 RPM. I wish there was a way to make economy mode the default.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

I wish there was a way to make economy mode the default.
Actually, in other Allison threads, it has been discovered that some coaches come that way from the factory with the altered shift points being the Norm instead of only when using the Economy Mode.

Take it to your local Allison shop and have them reprogram the ECM for the transmission and your wish will come true.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #21

I still like to use the standard mode in stop N go driving, so modifying the ECM/TCM is out. I live about 60 miles from the Allison Transmission plant at Indianapolis, might ask someone there about switching the default.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Well, that's what you would get when you reprogram the ECM.

In the normal mode, your shift points would be as if it was in Economy Mode. Then when you switch modes the shift points change to the higher ones.

The default becomes the Economy Mode in the transmission but not on the keypad.

Go to the Cummins shop and let them explain it to you.

I guess the way I had written it down in my last post was somewhat ambiguous to you.

I understand it so let the Cummins shop explain how it works, etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #23

OK, I got it. My old brain matter gets pretty thick sometimes. The Allison/Cummins shop is on my to-do list. Thanks for explaining, I totally misunderstood what you were trying to tell me.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #24
YC1

I have not seen any difference in mileage. What I can tell for sure is acceleration from a stop is much better with the econ mode off. Try it. I rarely turn mine on.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I have not seen any difference in mileage. What I can tell for sure is acceleration from a stop is much better with the econ mode off. Try it. I rarely turn mine on.
Eco mode changes transmission shift points to remain in a higher gear until the minimum RPM's for maximum torque are reached. Of course we know lower RPM's to cover the same distance = better fuel mileage. Our first trip I experimented using eco mode and standard. This was driving from Indianapolis to Myrtle Beach. Driving to Myrtle Beach mileage was 6.8 in standard mode, speed between 60-65, towing our Jeep Grand Cherokee. The return trip in eco mode resulted in 7.6 MPG, at same speed and towing Jeep.

The only down-side I noticed using eco mode was, pulling hills the MH would shed speed faster and slow more.
In city/congested driving I noticed I could stay with traffic easier in standard mode, because the transmission would stay in a lower gear longer, and upshift at a higher RPM to gain speed faster.
All in all, that's why I said I wish economy mode was the default. Now that Dr. 4Film/Richard brought me up to speed, I'll have that done.