RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Filter Magnet

I've had my filters changed at 5K, and again at 30K while switching to Transynd. Seen the discussion about filter magnets in several threads here and now I'm concerned. Just wondering if anyone knows if the "qualified and trained" service technicians routinely "forget" to remove and replace the magnets and even wondering if my magnets were tossed with the old filters. My first filter change was at an Allison trans shop and the transynd/filter change was at a Allison/Detroit/Cummins truck shop. I didn't ask, or remind, the technicians to ensure the magnets were taken care of. Is anyone aware of not getting the magnets and other than dropping the filters how would you know?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #2

Both your service points had 'Allison' attached...the techs KNOW about the magnet. I guess it's a matter of trust.

I just did the switch over myself and I transfered the magnet after cleaning it to the new Allison filter...it ain't rocket science, but at 64 years of age, I'll soon have to wrestle with that 'trust' issue myself. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
KIX

Roadking, the Allison 3000 series has 2 internal filters. there is no magnet on the filters. There is a magnet on the external spin on filter on some Allisons.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Roadking, the Allison 3000 series has 2 internal filters. there is no magnet on the filters. There is a magnet on the external spin on filter on some Allisons.
Interesting.... didn't know that. I thought the internal filters also had the magnet attached to the metal plate at the bottom of the filter.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Allison 1000 and recently changed over to synthetic.

When I did I also dropped the transmission pan and replaced the internal filter as well as the spin on.

There was a magnet (square) inside on the bottom of the pan but not one on the external spin on filter.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

There should be a magnet on all Allison 1k2k series spin on filter.Alot of them get thrown away with the filter.You can call your Allison Distributer and they will sell you one for around 3 to 4 dollars.
allisontec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really like filters with magnets. and no I'm not jokeing. I run these on all my vehicles that have spin on filters.

FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

and more about them here:
FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

Here is a good video:
(note that is a plastic bottle, nothing for the magnet to pul against except the magnetic powder inside the bottle)

Do those allison trans filters have the magnets as standarg equipment? I wish every OEM would do this along with an extra bypass oil filters but as we all know they want repete customers.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

That is an impressive demo on the video but there is no way in a normal running motor or transmission that you should have that much ferrous metal floating around unless it is starting to eat itself. Your oil filter is sufficiently small in microns to take out particulate matter that is large enough to do damage. One reason that you put a magnet on top of an Allison filter or in a drain plug on the engine sump is so that you can inspect it at oil change time and see if there is any ferrous metal clinging to it to indicate a problem. With that magnet on the side of the filter it will attract anything you need to see on the Allison spin on filter magnet or on a engine drain plug magnet so you will not see any signs of a problem at filter/oil change time. Rod and main bearing material in a motor is non ferrous so you would probably only see camshaft and lifter material if something was going bad. Roller bearing starting to go in transmissions will show up on a magnet. On our drag racing cars we have special filters that we can take apart after each run to look for anything that indicates the motor is tearing itself up.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
That is an impressive demo on the video but there is no way in a normal running motor or transmission that you should have that much ferrous metal floating around unless it is starting to eat itself. Your oil filter is sufficiently small in microns to take out particulate matter that is large enough to do damage. One reason that you put a magnet on top of an Allison filter or in a drain plug on the engine sump is so that you can inspect it at oil change time and see if there is any ferrous metal clinging to it to indicate a problem. With that magnet on the side of the filter it will attract anything you need to see on the Allison spin on filter magnet or on a engine drain plug magnet so you will not see any signs of a problem at filter/oil change time. Rod and main bearing material in a motor is non ferrous so you would probably only see camshaft and lifter material if something was going bad. Roller bearing starting to go in transmissions will show up on a magnet. On our drag racing cars we have special filters that we can take apart after each run to look for anything that indicates the motor is tearing itself up.
very true. of course if the particles in the demonstration bottle were the typicly size of what was in a engine you would NOT be able to see them.
I work in a industrial manufacturing plant now and i was shocked at see some of the hyd oil tanks and lube oil sump tank where the oil looked like metallic paint. It is truley amazing how long the pumps last in such situations.
Some are so bad I have to quote one of my fellow mechanics:
"mere words Can NOT describe....."
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #10

All Allison 1k2k series come from the factory with these magnets installed.They do not come with replacement filters,you just clean the magnet and reinstall.

allisontec is offline   Reply With Quote