Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Fluid only change quantity

Doing a fluid only change on my Allison 3000MH. Any reason I can't get a cold measurement off my dipstick prior to the change and then refill back to that mark, take it for a test run, get it up to temp and check fluid quantity with shift pad? I have a big drain pan and not a way to measure what I take out since I don't have any empty containers right now. Allison 3000MH shallow sump.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Off hand, I don't see why that wouldn't work to establish a starting point. I do have one thought however. If that was an accurate way to measure the fluid level why would all the manufacturer have you measure fluid the when the engine is warm and running?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Fluid only change quanity

On my 2000 series that won't work and probably not work on any. If I'm correct the converter drains down after it sits a certain amount of time, and you will get a really high reading on a cold dip stick. That is how I was suggested to drain mine to get more fluid out was after the first warm drain to come back two days later and drain more out when the converter drains. I got another .5 gallons out. Check it sometime before to start and it will probably show way over full.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

Counting the effort to convert over to TranSyd from conventional fluid, I have changed fluid in my 3000MH 5 or 6 times. Each time, the approx. volume drained has been about 4 gals. I usually change the tranny cold/ambient air temp. Agree with the likely additional volume of fluid draining back from the converter but not sure I have ever seen it plus/minus the volume drained. As mentioned earlier, drain-back would affect the accuracy of the dip-stick. Calibration of the dip-stick is also impacted by how the coach manufacturer installed it. Accordingly, I go with the digital diagnostic display on the Allison shifter.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

The converter drains down to the halfway point after only a few minutes. The converter doesn't drain anymore unless you tilt the transmission. That extra amount that comes after sitting for a couple of days is all the residual that's trapped in the valve body worm tracks and all the other little ins and outs in an automatic transmission.

If you put back in what you took out, you should end up with what you started with. If the level was good cold, you drained and replaced what you took out, you'll end up with a good cold level.

Allison always recommends a final hot check just to make sure. Different fluids may expand at different rates and the hot check is where the fluid level should be running down the road.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On most of the 3000 and 4000 MH Allison trans. the dip stick is there only to give you a starting point before getting it right with the shift pad indicator.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On most of the 3000 and 4000 MH Allison trans. the dip stick is there only to give you a starting point before getting it right with the shift pad indicator.
True. If you have the oil level sensor available on the shift pad it's really the better tool to use.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I only use the shift pad to check fluid level. Problem is it must be up to temp before you can get a reading. I'll find some appropriate size empty containers I can use to help measure what I take out. That seems like the only way to know for sure.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

Mystery solved. Drained and filled today. 16 1/8 quarts came out cold. Did not spill a drop.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #10

Why not just weigh your drain pan empty and full. Difference is oil weight. Easy to google what a quart or gallon of oil weighs. Or just weigh a gallon jug and subtract empty container.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
May I ask why you would not change the filter as well at the same time?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
May I ask why you would not change the filter as well at the same time?
Doing the double drain and fill to change over to Transynd. Going to run it for 50 miles or so and drain and fill again with the filter change. I'm sure I could have changed the filter with the first drain and fill. Had the fluid tested with JG Labs and Tom J suggested to do it this way.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Why not just weigh your drain pan empty and full. Difference is oil weight. Easy to google what a quart or gallon of oil weighs. Or just weigh a gallon jug and subtract empty container.
Why not tell me that before I changed the fluid .
Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Doing the double drain and fill to change over to Transynd. Going to run it for 50 miles or so and drain and fill again with the filter change. I'm sure I could have changed the filter with the first drain and fill. Had the fluid tested with JG Labs and Tom J suggested to do it this way.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid