Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 274 35.72%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 425 55.41%
No. I think it costs too much. 45 5.87%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 27 3.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #127

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Ditto !!! Torque converters generally hold 2-3 gallons that you can't get out since it's below the center line of the transmission. Volume is dependent upon transmission size: 1000/2000/3000/4000.
Please help me understand the amount of fluid in an Allison 1000 trany TC. Please see the current edition of the Allison guide: http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA5429EN.pdf
on page 4 it states that the initial fluid capacity is 14.8 qts. and the refill capacity is 10.6 qts. So wouldn't that mean that there is 4.2 qts in the TC?
Thanks
Mike
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
Hey Tom,
I found Autran Syn 295 from BP locally, is this basically the same as TranSynd and will it preform the same? I can purchase a 5 gal. bucket or 6 one gal. containers for about $32 a gal., for the 2 changes should I get 5 or 6 gal.
Also I found Baldwin filters from the same dealer, are they ok? Is the Allison filter better?
Thanks for your help.
Mike
I purchased the 6-1 gal containers to be safe and found the Allison filters for less than $13 each so I picked up 2 of those. Have done the first change and all went well, it took about 10.5 qts., haven't driven it yet in order to do the 2nd change and don't know if I'll have the time before we head out for our 1st trip, if not I'll do the 2nd change when we get back. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #129

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
I purchased the 6-1 gal containers to be safe and found the Allison filters for less than $13 each so I picked up 2 of those. Have done the first change and all went well, it took about 10.5 qts., haven't driven it yet in order to do the 2nd change and don't know if I'll have the time before we head out for our 1st trip, if not I'll do the 2nd change when we get back. Thanks for your help.
Mllk3rd,

Autran 295 is the same as TranSynd. No performance differences whatsoever. I'd go with the Allison filters though.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #130

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hey Tom, so as stated I did the first change, I have the removed fluid in containers as I haven't taken it in yet. Would it be advantageous to have a analysis done?
Thanks
Mike
Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #131

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Hey Tom, so as stated I did the first change, I have the removed fluid in containers as I haven't taken it in yet. Would it be advantageous to have a analysis done?
Thanks
Mike
Mike,
Take the oil sample after you do the second drain and refill unless you want to do it now and then again after the second drain and refill to see the difference. The important thing is to establish a "baseline" after the TranSynd is in at full volume (two drains and refills) per Allison recommendation.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #132

Doing the double Transynd change.

I am going to do the double change to my 04 Sportscoach. It has 27k on the Allison 3000 tranny. My mh has been in storage over 2 months so can I drain it cold so I get more fluid drained or start it up and warm up the fluid so it drains easier? Maybe someone can answer my question. I hope Tom "Mr Transynd" can help me. Thanks.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #133

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscoach1 View Post
I am going to do the double change to my 04 Sportscoach. It has 27k on the Allison 3000 tranny. My mh has been in storage over 2 months so can I drain it cold so I get more fluid drained or start it up and warm up the fluid so it drains easier? Maybe someone can answer my question. I hope Tom "Mr Transynd" can help me. Thanks.
I think he's is now doing the same over at RV.Net
Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #134

Appalachian Campers
Oh, so it's your fault!

Gm World Class Technician #474 at your service!

Sorry, it's a habit. I see an engineer and I'm forced to make a little noise.

I've loved the Allison (LCT1000 is my experience.) since I went to school on it. Pretty amazing devise.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #135

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscoach1 View Post
Sportscoach,

Warm the transmission first by running the engine for 10 minutes. This will make the fluid flow more easily and you'll be able to maximize the amount of fluid you can drain out.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #136

Trans. drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Sportscoach,

Warm the transmission first by running the engine for 10 minutes. This will make the fluid flow more easily and you'll be able to maximize the amount of fluid you can drain out.
Thanks Tom. It is great to have someone like you to help people like me understand how our transmissions work and what it best for them. I will take your advice and warm it up then drain the fluid. Thanks again.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #137

My 3000 allison output shaft seal is leaking. I bought this rv over a year ago and have no idea what type of trans fuild it has. I would like to change the filter and fluid. What type should I use? Where can I get it? Can I replace the shaft seal myself with a seal puller? I am an engineer also, so I can turn wrenches, but don't have the service manual. How much fluid will come out when yoke is removed. Thanks for any info.
Bill
2000 american eagle with spartan chassis.
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #138

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
My 3000 allison output shaft seal is leaking. I bought this rv over a year ago and have no idea what type of trans fuild it has. I would like to change the filter and fluid. What type should I use? Where can I get it? Can I replace the shaft seal myself with a seal puller? I am an engineer also, so I can turn wrenches, but don't have the service manual. How much fluid will come out when yoke is removed. Thanks for any info.
Bill
2000 american eagle with spartan chassis.
Sucker,

I don't see any reason why you can't pull the output seal and replace it yourself if you have the correct tools and the skillset. Just use extreme care when reinstalling the new seal so you don't nick the lip on installation. Also you'll need to check with the Allison dealer or distributor to ensure you get the latest P/N so you get the "DEXRON-VI" compatible seal. Even though you're going to use TranSynd. When you pull the old seal, inspect the lip to see if it is hardened and cracked which may be an indication that someone added DEXRON-VI since the transmission is pre-2007 and probably has the original (non DEXRON-VI compatible) seals in it. If the seal is still flexible and seems intact, then it may have just been nicked at installation and has taken this long to go from a "weep" to a "seep" to a "leak" which is the terms Allison uses to describe the progress of fluid getting by a seal.

You can find the closest Allison dealer/distributor on their website at Allison Transmission.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #139

thanks for the response. Do you know how to remove the shaft? Do you remove the yoke and it slides out? I not sure how to disconnect the drive shaft.
thanks, Bill
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #140

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
thanks for the response. Do you know how to remove the shaft? Do you remove the yoke and it slides out? I not sure how to disconnect the drive shaft.
thanks, Bill
Sucker,

I forgot to tell you that you should change over to TranSynd or one of the other TES-295 approved fluids. You can find the list of approved products at www.allisontransmission.com. Also, you can find the nearest Allison dealer under "Service" on their website. I also forgot to tell you that there shouldn't be much oil behind the seal since the transmission fluid is well below the center line of the transmission. Check out the attached cross section from the Allison MH3000 Owner's Manual. You should be able to remove the yoke and then pull the seal with a seal puller. You'll need to properly torque the output shaft retention bolt when you reinstall the yoke. As shown on the attachment, the shaft will not slide out because it's connected to the low clutch and the housing through the low planetary gear set. Removing the yoke should give you access to the seal. The seal rides on the yoke. The yoke splines over the output shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH3000 Output Shaft.png
Views:	756
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	16952