Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 208 34.38%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 343 56.69%
No. I think it costs too much. 38 6.28%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 20 3.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 605. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
I think we changed over to TranSynd in the factory in January of 1999. Before that we used DEXRON-III GM factory fill from Petro-Canada.
That's interesting because I have a 2002 Fleetwood, on a 2001 Workhorse W22 chassis and it had Dexron in it. Does this mean that the Allison T1000 transmission in our chassis was from pre 1999?

Not that this is a bad thing, but maybe they didn't switch the smaller transmissions until later than 1999?

Just asking.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
That's interesting because I have a 2002 Fleetwood, on a 2001 Workhorse W22 chassis and it had Dexron in it. Does this mean that the Allison T1000 transmission in our chassis was from pre 1999?

Not that this is a bad thing, but maybe they didn't switch the smaller transmissions until later than 1999?

Just asking.
I'll have to dig into it and get back to you.

hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #17

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i just have to ask.
Transmission filters??? which ones/brands if you can, worked best for the requirements of the fluid and transmission?
powerboatr,

To my knowledge, we never tested anything but the factory filters so I have no data on other "after market" filters. They're spec'd based on media size, efficiency (beta rating), and capacity.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
powerboatr,

To my knowledge, we never tested anything but the factory filters so I have no data on other "after market" filters. They're spec'd based on media size, efficiency (beta rating), and capacity.

thank you

you answered it but in a way some might not agree.
if a manufacturer of an item has "XYZ"spec for its filtration and then either builds its own filter system or asks...say a filter company to build a filter that would achieve the spec "XYZ" and it does in fact meet the spec, then it should be OK for use. some say fram, wix, motorcraft, k&N, baldwin, etc are or could be garbage...but if they meet the spec set out by the manufacturer, then in essence they should be ok for use.

i found it interesting that cummins recs, fleetguard filters....and Valvoline premium blue oil, Valvoline like castrol for the transynd has a licensing deal for its use like you mentioned allison gets $$ for every gallon of transynd purchased.
but at most OTR shops, they use baldwin filters on the engines????

i appreciate your great help here.

remember it took most car buyers over three years to figure out that the new saturn car company was actually a GM product and even then there were many in denial
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #19

Tom, My sample came back with a elevated lead and boron. not bad, but high for trans. boron was 112 and led was 16. Also my Cst @ 100c was 6.9. Close enough to 7.0. It had 25,000 on it and was second change after first 500o miles. Total now is 36,500 miles. It's an '06 4000 What do you think?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #20

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
thank you

you answered it but in a way some might not agree.
if a manufacturer of an item has "XYZ"spec for its filtration and then either builds its own filter system or asks...say a filter company to build a filter that would achieve the spec "XYZ" and it does in fact meet the spec, then it should be OK for use. some say fram, wix, motorcraft, k&N, baldwin, etc are or could be garbage...but if they meet the spec set out by the manufacturer, then in essence they should be ok for use.

i found it interesting that cummins recs, fleetguard filters....and Valvoline premium blue oil, Valvoline like castrol for the transynd has a licensing deal for its use like you mentioned allison gets $$ for every gallon of transynd purchased.
but at most OTR shops, they use baldwin filters on the engines????

i appreciate your great help here.

remember it took most car buyers over three years to figure out that the new saturn car company was actually a GM product and even then there were many in denial
powerboatr,

The problem is that Allison does not have an filter spec. The filter spec is on the original drawings for the factory filters, which are proprietary to Allison. The filter specs are not published. Therefore, no one in the aftermarket can reproduce the filter performance because there's no spec to test against.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #21

Commercial Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Tom, My sample came back with a elevated lead and boron. not bad, but high for trans. boron was 112 and led was 16. Also my Cst @ 100c was 6.9. Close enough to 7.0. It had 25,000 on it and was second change after first 500o miles. Total now is 36,500 miles. It's an '06 4000 What do you think?
Perry,

Don't know who did your analysis but lead at 16 ppm is extremely low. No worries there. Boron is from the additives package and is part of the dispersants. 100C viscosity of 6.9 is good; I wouldn't be concerned unless it reaches 6.0 cSt and that would be very unusual. TranSynd can't lose viscosity so 6.0 would indicate somebody topped it off with DEXRON-III since DEXRON-III's are famous for losing viscosity in a relatively short period of time.

I think you're in good shape. I'd say keep on trucking and keep doing oil analysis. Who did the analysis?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Transmission Service

Appreciate your willingness to answer questions on this topic. I have a 2004 Journey with the Allison 3000. Bought unit this winter with 23,000 miles on it and in reviewing the service records noted transmission had not been serviced. Took to a Winnebago dealer in Henderson and requested transmission service. Unit was serviced, oil and filter change. When paying the bill I noted Dextron 111 was used to refill rather than transdyne oil. I questioned the point and was told my unit had Dextron 111 coming in so used same on service unless customer requested otherwise and it would not be a problem. Transmission Service required again in 25,000 miles and if I wanted to change to transdyne oils do it then. My review of Allison web site left me believing Dextron 111 is not an issue in the 3000 transmission unless I'm reading it incorrectly.
Appreciate your opinion
Thanks
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tom and welcome to IRV2. I posted my question in the "other" forum but perhaps you missed it.
I have a 3000 MH transmission in my 08 Camelot and will have both the filters changed at this years service. The S/N of the transmission is 6510726660 and has 100% TranSynd oil with the high capacity filters. The filter kits I've located online are P/N 29548987 for the 2" filter kit and P/N 29548988 for the 4" filter kit. Are these the correct kits for my transmission?
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #24

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemole View Post
Appreciate your willingness to answer questions on this topic. I have a 2004 Journey with the Allison 3000. Bought unit this winter with 23,000 miles on it and in reviewing the service records noted transmission had not been serviced. Took to a Winnebago dealer in Henderson and requested transmission service. Unit was serviced, oil and filter change. When paying the bill I noted Dextron 111 was used to refill rather than transdyne oil. I questioned the point and was told my unit had Dextron 111 coming in so used same on service unless customer requested otherwise and it would not be a problem. Transmission Service required again in 25,000 miles and if I wanted to change to transdyne oils do it then. My review of Allison web site left me believing Dextron 111 is not an issue in the 3000 transmission unless I'm reading it incorrectly.
Appreciate your opinion
Thanks
Colemole,

DEXRON-III is not an issue at 25,000 mile drain intervals. DEXRON-III will lose viscosity over 25,000 miles but not to the point where you'll see much wear. If you'd like to get much longer drain intervals, then switch it to TranSynd at the next scheduled change. I firmly believe you'll be much better off in the long run.

PS: There's no way they knew it was DEXRON-III coming in the door. Id' ask them how they knew it was DEXRON-III. They would have had to do an oil analysis and would have had to know what to look for (basically low viscosity). My bet is that it was "red" so they figured it was DEXRON-III. Don't be fooled by these guys who do a taste and smell test and think they are giving you scientific proof. Only oil analysis can be used to properly assess transmission fluids, engine oils, differential oils, generator oils, etc.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for joining your assistance will be invaluable. On a site like this we all must take any advise with a huge grain of salt as it is impossible to know the responders true knowledge and experience. While personal experience is important, we will all benefit and appreciate your willingness to share your expertise with us.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Tom, Can you tell us the best place to send fluid for analysis? Bruce
Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #27

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Hi Tom and welcome to IRV2. I posted my question in the "other" forum but perhaps you missed it.
I have a 3000 MH transmission in my 08 Camelot and will have both the filters changed at this years service. The S/N of the transmission is 6510726660 and has 100% TranSynd oil with the high capacity filters. The filter kits I've located online are P/N 29548987 for the 2" filter kit and P/N 29548988 for the 4" filter kit. Are these the correct kits for my transmission?
BigSkyBob,

I believe those numbers are correct for the "High Capacity" filters.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
powerboatr,

The problem is that Allison does not have an filter spec. The filter spec is on the original drawings for the factory filters, which are proprietary to Allison. The filter specs are not published. Therefore, no one in the aftermarket can reproduce the filter performance because there's no spec to test against.
that pretty much sums up to use what they recommend for filters
thanks

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote