RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 223 35.06%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 358 56.29%
No. I think it costs too much. 39 6.13%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 20 3.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 636. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #57

Tom, thanks so much for you contribution to this forum.
My question is:
I have some Transynd left from my last fluid change three years ago. I'm due to change my filters. Will the left over Transynd still be good to replace the lost fluid when I change the filters? I don't know the shelf life of Transynd that has been opened.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #58

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Tom, thanks so much for you contribution to this forum.
My question is:
I have some Transynd left from my last fluid change three years ago. I'm due to change my filters. Will the left over Transynd still be good to replace the lost fluid when I change the filters? I don't know the shelf life of Transynd that has been opened.
Joe,

No problem. The shelf life is at least 10 years.

Happy motoring !!!

hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #59

Tom,

Thanks for your generous input of time and expertise on this forum.

I have a fluid related question about heat rejection but this may not be in your field. On a couple of other forums that I participate in, there have been a number of instances of the transmission fluid cooler, which is internal to the engine radiator and immersed in engine coolant, failing. When it fails both the engine cooling system and the transmission are cross contaminated. This appears to be catastrophic to the transmission & requires a complete rebuild.

My question is, can a transmission cooler external to the radiator provide enough cooling capacity without being so big that it's not practical? The coolant immersed design appears to be common in the diesel pusher business but appears to be a serious weakness.

Thanks again,
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #60

Mr. Transynd,
Have a '03 coach w/ a Allison 3000, trany oil changed at 35K w/ Transynd, now have 80K mi. Is it OK to go back to the Dextron or what?
Thanks,
Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeseman View Post
Mr. Transynd,
Have a '03 coach w/ a Allison 3000, trany oil changed at 35K w/ Transynd, now have 80K mi. Is it OK to go back to the Dextron or what?
Thanks,
I would have it tested just for grins.. But, me I would do new filter/filters and new Transynd fluid.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Don't see why you could not go back to Dexron. My Allison has a bit over 60k on it. I don't use synthetics as I see no advantage to them for our use ...and the only vehicle I have owned that had sythentics in it had a total rear end failure way earlier than any dyno-lubed vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #63

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Tom,

Thanks for your generous input of time and expertise on this forum.

I have a fluid related question about heat rejection but this may not be in your field. On a couple of other forums that I participate in, there have been a number of instances of the transmission fluid cooler, which is internal to the engine radiator and immersed in engine coolant, failing. When it fails both the engine cooling system and the transmission are cross contaminated. This appears to be catastrophic to the transmission & requires a complete rebuild.

My question is, can a transmission cooler external to the radiator provide enough cooling capacity without being so big that it's not practical? The coolant immersed design appears to be common in the diesel pusher business but appears to be a serious weakness.

Thanks again,
Steve,

You're right, it's not really in my field of study. But, I don't see why you couldn't do it. It would definitely need an independent fan though. I know that at one time, Allison had an "Integral Cooler" design but I'm not sure of the performance.

Sorry, but that's all I know about this subject.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #64

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeseman View Post
Mr. Transynd,
Thanks,
Kbeseman,

There's no problem switching back and forth between TranSynd and DEXRON-III (if you can find one). However, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that given the long drain intervals and good chemical and physical stability of TranSynd. So, why do you want to switch back?

Also, what makes you think you have to change the fluid at all? The TranSynd should be good for 300,000 miles.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #65

Commercial Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Don't see why you could not go back to Dexron. My Allison has a bit over 60k on it. I don't use synthetics as I see no advantage to them for our use ...and the only vehicle I have owned that had sythentics in it had a total rear end failure way earlier than any dyno-lubed vehicle I have ever owned.
AFChap,

What do you pay for a transmission fluid change? How often do you change the fluid? Are you doing oil analysis to determine end of fluid life? I can tell you that not all synthetics are good. Some will still shear down (lose viscosity over time). I personally tested TranSynd for 10 years in city buses with retarders (Allison B400R and B500R transmissions). We also ran it in a bus for 100,000 miles and then ran a 2000 hour durability on an Allison 1000 Series transmission with no problems using the used TranSynd.

It's pretty much "bullet proof". With the ultra-long life and stability, I'm not sure why you're not using it even at the high price. The price is easily offset by the cost of the oil changes over the life of the vehicle.

Please keep in mind that I'm good with you doing whatever you want. Either fluid is OK (TES-389/DEXRON-IIIH or TES-295) ..... it's just a matter of fluid life and corresponding drain intervals.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
I think we changed over to TranSynd in the factory in January of 1999. Before that we used DEXRON-III GM factory fill from Petro-Canada.
The problem is that when the transmission was installed in a chassis the builder may have used Dexron to refill it. That's what happened to my 2000 and 2002 Newmar Dutch Stars. Then I had to go through the two drain/filter change/refill cycle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #67
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The problem is that when the transmission was installed in a chassis the builder may have used Dexron to refill it. That's what happened to my 2000 and 2002 Newmar Dutch Stars. Then I had to go through the two drain/filter change/refill cycle.
Correct. Don't know why they would do that, but they did.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
What do you pay for a transmission fluid change? How often do you change the fluid? Are you doing oil analysis to determine end of fluid life?
My records say 2 year change interval (anywhere from 8-22k miles) at cost $240-$290. I am not doing any oil analysys.

Quote:
Transynd ...It's pretty much "bullet proof". With the ultra-long life and stability, I'm not sure why you're not using it even at the high price.
My '02 Spartan chassis came with DexronIII. If it came with Transynd I most likely would be using it. As indicated before, my experience with synthetics (very limited, yes) has not been good. On the other hand, dino oils have served me very well.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My '03 Allison 1000 has 25000 miles on it and I would like to change it over to TranSynd. I keep hearing about "the two change change". I understand the principal but am not sure of the process. How far do I need to drive it after the initial change before draining and filling the second time. Also do I need to use two filters (one for each change) or one? If one, do I change at first or second fill?
Thanks,
Rod
Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
My '03 Allison 1000 has 25000 miles on it and I would like to change it over to TranSynd. I keep hearing about "the two change change". I understand the principal but am not sure of the process. How far do I need to drive it after the initial change before draining and filling the second time. Also do I need to use two filters (one for each change) or one? If one, do I change at first or second fill?
Thanks,
Rod
do you store your moho in the winter?
i left my moho sit unstarted for a couple of months. most of the torque converter oil drained into the transmission pan.
my alli 1000 transmission holds 14.1 quarts. i drained 13.5 quarts including the filter. i refilled with 13.5 quarts of amsoil tes 295 fluid. that is a 95.7% fluid change which is good enough for me.
if you were to drain 10 qts, refill with tes 295 fluid, then drain again imho you would have 71% the first time and about a 95% fluid change the second time at considerable more expense.
don't forget to take the magnet off of the old filter and reinstall it on the new filter.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote