Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 274 35.72%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 425 55.41%
No. I think it costs too much. 45 5.87%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 27 3.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #827

Buck,

I have the same engine/transmission combo from'03. When I pull a sample to send for analysis, I have noticed that it's quite dark with a reddish tint. This is with Transynd.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #828

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwbuck View Post
I just bought a 2006 Travel Supreme Select with a ISM500 and an Allison 4000 series transmission. Coach has 33K miles on it and the transmission dip stick says synthetic fluid only. Question is that the fluid in the unit is not red. Was the factory fill or early TranSynd not red? Thanks Buck
Buck,

TranSynd has always been red in color. I'd have it checked through oil analysis. That will tell you for sure whether it's an ATF, a synthetic ATF or an engine oil.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #829

Strange Fluid

Tom - it seems strange anyone would change the oem fluid out before 33K miles. If they did it is possible they put the wrong stuff in it. Does anyone make a long life fluid that is not red or another specific color? thanks Buck
hwbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #830

Mr. Transynd,

Are you able to answer questions on a 2005 2500HD w/ Allison transmission?

Should I have my tuner "defuel" during shifting to help protect the transmission?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #831

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
It's difficult to answer this because I have no idea what torque and HP your engine is putting into the transmission. The transmission max input torque and max input power are listed on the Allison spec sheets on the Allison website. As long as your within spec no detuning would be necessary. You'd have to put it on a dyne test to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #832

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
It's difficult to answer this because I have no idea what torque and HP your engine is putting into the transmission. The transmission max input torque and max input power are listed on the Allison spec sheets on the Allison website. As long as your within spec no detuning would be necessary. You'd have to put it on a dyne test to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thank you very much for your response.

According to GM, I have the the 6.6L with 300hp and 520tq. According to Allison, the 1000 has a gross input power of 340 and gross input torque of 895.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...3.pdf?sfvrsn=2

With that being said my tuner has these different levels:
Level 0: Stock
Level 1: 40 Horsepower - 100 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 2: 60 Horsepower - 120 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 3: 75 Horsepower - 170 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 4: 90 Horsepower - 200 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 5: 125 Horsepower - 240 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 6: 150 Horsepower – 300 Foot Pounds of Torque

I am currently in level three which is 375hp and 690. My torque is safe, but my "advertised" horsepower is high. Looks like I should turn "on" the "defueling when shifting" option.

Zac

Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 AM   #833

Transynd color

Tom - I spoke with my local Allison service manager about fluid change and the "color" of the fluid in my 4000. He stated without question that in 2005 the factory fill was probably not red in color for transynd. Now I am confused.

Your thoughts ? Buck
Old 09-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #834

Quote:
Tom - I spoke with my local Allison service manager about fluid change and the "color" of the fluid in my 4000. He stated without question that in 2005 the factory fill was probably not red in color for transynd. Now I am confused.

Your thoughts ? Buck

Buck,

You could call your chassis manufacturer & see what it left the factory with, but since you don't know the maintenance history of your coach, you still wouldn't be sure what was in there now.

If you get a sample kit and pump from JG Lube Services and have a sample analysis done, you will know from its residual characteristics.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #835

Commercial Member

Quote:

Your thoughts ? Buck
Buck,
Your local Allison Service Manager doesn't know what he's talking about. It's been red since day one. I was still in charge of fluids at Allison in 2005 and I know this for a fact. You might ask him where he got this information.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #836

red transynd

You were correct as usual. I went in person and we pulled the dipstick on several busses etc. Transynd is defiantly not as strong a red as typical dexron but it is red. It does seem to change as it ages but still has the red glow when whipped on a white rag.

He did mention that some outliers actually run 15-40 motor oil in the units.Anyway all is good. Made a filter change and when I did found the filters in the unit dated 2012 so it has seen at least one filter change.

Thanks for the insight. buck
Old 09-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #837

Country Coach Owners Club
Tom,
I have a 2005 40' Country Coach Inspire with a Cat C9 engine. The Allison transmission (MH3000) has always had Transynd fluid. The fluid and filters were last changed at 29,000 miles in 2012 when the radiator was replaced. I currently have about 36,000 miles. Allison says that the fluid is good or 300,000 miles or 48 months. Neither I or the previous owner have ever had to any any fluid and I check it regularly with the Up-Down buttons at the of each day's trip.

Give the low useage what are your recommendations for fluid analysis, fluid and filter replacements?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #838

Newbie humble enough to learn

Should I consider a Allison trans model higher than the 2100 if I purchase a Excursion 35B with a 340 cummins?
bouttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #839

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouttime View Post
Should I consider a Allison trans model higher than the 2100 if I purchase a Excursion 35B with a 340 cummins?

Normally there won't be just an optional transmission upgrade. A coach with a standard ISB will have one of the 1000-2500 transmission models. The normal upgrade path would be an option for the Cummins ISC coupled to an Allison 3000 which has been the gold standard for motorhomes for many years.

In my mind, a Cummins ISC or ISL mated to an Allison 3000 is a very desirable combo.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #840

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Tom, no doubt you can shed some light here.

First, no I am not using this product in my Allison 3000. Just finished a Tran Synd fluid and filter change. Just looking for info on a label I read today.

Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic ATF label on back says Allison, "TES 389".
Google that and it gets a little confusing.

Thanks in advance.