Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 274 35.72%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 425 55.41%
No. I think it costs too much. 45 5.87%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 27 3.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post

A while back I found a post by an Allison technician that said you can reset the tps positions in the computer by cycling the ignition on/off 5 times, making sure to see the Allison control flash off each time, and after the 5th time, pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor... and back up again to idle... and then cycling the ignition off one more time. Every time I have tried this when it seems like the shifts get screwed up, it immediately smooths out.

Cheers
Was this on the 3060 transmission? Great info... But I didn't know if it only applied to our more "senior" units or the newer ones as well. I haven't had issues on mine and have been in some monumental traffic jams around Washington, DC, but you never know. Thanks for the procedure.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #1136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Was this on the 3060 transmission? Great info... But I didn't know if it only applied to our more "senior" units or the newer ones as well. I haven't had issues on mine and have been in some monumental traffic jams around Washington, DC, but you never know. Thanks for the procedure.

Yes - MD3060 with WTEC-II control.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
A while back I found a post by an Allison technician that said you can reset the tps positions in the computer by cycling the ignition on/off 5 times, making sure to see the Allison control flash off each time, and after the 5th time, pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor... and back up again to idle... and then cycling the ignition off one more time. Every time I have tried this when it seems like the shifts get screwed up, it immediately smooths out.

Cheers

Thank you for posting.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #1138

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
After spending a couple hours reading through your thread I wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer so many questions from so many of RV'ers. Very much appreciated and I know I am learning so much about my house, engine, chassis, and transmission from experts like yourself.

Unfortunately, Tom, I found your thread after I had purchased an analysis kit from my local CAT dealership. In the future I think I will use your kit for my Allison 3000 transmission. From the report I received it looks as though there is no need to change my Tranny fluid even though it is nearly 13 years old, correct? My question is should I change the filters?

Thanks
Steve

Attached is the report from CAT SOS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tranny oil 8 8 18.PDF (127.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #1139

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
After spending a couple hours reading through your thread I wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer so many questions from so many of RV'ers. Very much appreciated and I know I am learning so much about my house, engine, chassis, and transmission from experts like yourself.

Unfortunately, Tom, I found your thread after I had purchased an analysis kit from my local CAT dealership. In the future I think I will use your kit for my Allison 3000 transmission. From the report I received it looks as though there is no need to change my Tranny fluid even though it is nearly 13 years old, correct? My question is should I change the filters?

Thanks
Steve

Attached is the report from CAT SOS
Steve,
I reviewed your report and it looks like you're running the synthetic fluid (probably Castrol TranSynd). Everything looks fine !! Viscosity and oxidation are good, no contamination and the particle count and ISO Cleanliness Code data show that the filters and filtration system are still operating in the right range. There's no need for fluid or filter maintenance at this time.

Calendar time, for the most part, doesn't mean much to transmission fluid of other oils. It's more a matter of how much energy has been put into the fluid rather than a function of time. Transmission fluids degrade over time based on (3) factors: viscosity loss, oxidation (acid buildup) and contamination. Viscosity and oxidation changes are caused by mechanical stresses (fluid shearing) and thermal stresses (heat applications). Then, contaminants can enter the system through the breather (dirt, sand, water) or by internal means such as an internal cooling system leak where anti-freeze (coolant) can seep into the fluid. In your case, all 3 factors are good.

My recommendation would be to check it again next year. We'd be happy to become your "go to" folks for oil and coolant testing. Also, consider doing analyses on your engine oil, engine coolant, generator oil, generator coolant and hot water heating system (Aqua-Hot, OASIS, etc.), if applicable. I typically recommend annual analysis of all these systems for optimum reliability.

[Mod Edit]
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #1140

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Tom, thank you for the response. Good news on my Allison. No sense fixing something that's not broken right. I will take your advice and retest in a year.

Much appreciated

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #1141

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi there Mr. Trans Syd

I have a beeping alarm sounding when I am in Drive or Reverse & stops when I am in neutral with my allison 3000 transmission in my Itasca Horizon 2001. I had repair shop check for error codes but nothing showed up. Short of disconnecting beep alarm can you suggest a solution.

Many Thanks.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #1142

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbev View Post
Hi there Mr. Trans Syd

I have a beeping alarm sounding when I am in Drive or Reverse & stops when I am in neutral with my allison 3000 transmission in my Itasca Horizon 2001. I had repair shop check for error codes but nothing showed up. Short of disconnecting beep alarm can you suggest a solution.

Many Thanks.
jeanbev,
Sorry; but, electronics are not my area of expertise. Perhaps dbarton291 will have a suggestion. Is it supposed to beep in reverse?
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #1143

Jeanbev,
Have you checked to make sure your jacks are all the way up? May not be your transmission but putting your transmission in D or R is telling you something else is wrong.
Could be something in the jack system or anything else that produces a warning about driving without being in the proper position. Think slides, steps etc.
Good luck.
Hopefully Tom has some more ideas.
BLKCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 AM   #1144

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, I am lesmccoy3.
I have a 2006 Itaska Suncruiser with an Allison transmission. Just recentlypurchased it. On long hard mopuntain pull, the motor home seems to get confused about which gear to be in and then the engine shuts down to 10 mph and will not respond to the accelerator. If I stop and shut everything down for a few minutes, then ususally it seems to work fine.
What is going on? Can you help me? lesmccoy3@hotmail.com
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Hi Folks,

My name is Tom Johnson and I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. I am a member of the Good Sam Club Class A motorhome forum and one of the members asked me to join the IRV2 forums.

I'm here to help with your questions about Allison Transmission fluid specifications, TranSynd, oil and coolant analysis, etc.

Let me know how I can help.

PS: You can call me "Mr. TranSynd" if you like..
lesmccoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 AM   #1145

Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe I am supposed to write here. Missed something before. Will try again. I just recently purchased a 2006 Itaska Suncruiser with the allison transmission. On hard mountain grades pulling up, the engine and transmission seem to get confused as to what to do. And then it shuts down to a crawl of about 10 mph. If I shut it down and sit for a few minutes then, usually, it works fine. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Thnks
lesmccoy3@hotmail.com
lesmccoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:14 AM   #1146

Jeanbev
I believe my A3000 acts similar if parking brake is activated and a shift out of N.
Could it be the pick up / sensor for the brake isn't working correctly and causing the alarm?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #1147

Recommendation

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your contribution to this forum. I have a question. I purchased a used motorhome that has 57,000 miles on it. The previous owner never serviced the transmission, "Allison 3000" In a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star. It currently seems to work flawlessly. I am looking for your recommendation on what I should do? It came from the factory filled with Transynd.

Thank you,
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #1148

[Mod Edit]

Thanks for the prompt response Tom. I will order the testing kit and get a sample off to you within the next month.

Thank you again for your contribution to this forum.
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote