Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you currently running oil analysis on your engine or your Allison transmission?
Yes. I'm a believer in oil analysis! 274 35.72%
Not at this time but I might if I knew more about it. 425 55.41%
No. I think it costs too much. 45 5.87%
No. I don't believe in it. I think it's pure "bunk" ! 27 3.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #785

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Steve,
The transmission and fluid are still in good shape. No maintenance required. My suggestion is that you sample the fluid before you plan to change filters and use the Ultimate Test Kit so we can measure Particle Counts and ISO Cleanliness Code. That will tell us for sure whether or not the filters really need to be changed at that time.
This brings up a couple questions:

I replaced my filters about a year ago. Is there any reason I need to use the ultimate test kit for tranny analysis or can I wait for the test prior to the year filter change and decide from that?

I'm still a little gun shy to rely totally on the testing results to determine when to make fluid changes because of my extended service contract. In your experience, is that an unfounded fear?

Does the ultimate testing kit really apply to the normal use by RVers?

Depending on your answers I might decide to return the advanced 3 pack for oil for the ultimate. I have a scheduled service in about a month.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #786

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
No need to use the ultimate test kits to check the fluid. Just purchase a single ultimate kit when it's time to change the filters. The advanced kit will give you adequate protection on fluid and transmission. condition. There's nothing to fear about doing the oil analysis during the extended contract. Allison recommends it as the best way to determine the fluid change interval.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #787

Quote:
Let me know the diagnosis.
Basically the diagnosis is none. No codes , fluid was perfect and shifted like a dream to the tech. I requested he do a computer reset and picked it up towing my truck home ; about 60 miles. It shifted flawlessly , up and down in some stop and go also on I75. He said when it does it again bring it to any allison shop for a demo.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #788

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just had the ISX rebuilt and I was checking the trans fluid in the 4000. On the dip stick it looks greenish in color and some green around the red color on a paper towel. Would that happen if someone put engine oil in the trans? On our previous 3000 the fluid always looked reddish, both on the stick and on a paper towel.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #789

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We just had the ISX rebuilt and I was checking the trans fluid in the 4000. On the dip stick it looks greenish in color and some green around the red color on a paper towel. Would that happen if someone put engine oil in the trans? On our previous 3000 the fluid always looked reddish, both on the stick and on a paper towel.
Mr_D,
Are you running TranSynd in your Allison 4000 Series? It can appear as a gold or greenish color sometimes under the right light. We were never sure of the exact cause but I've seen it several times over the years. However, oil analysis never revealed any change in fluid properties. In my mind, the color is not that important.

I suppose it could be engine oil contamination if someone wasn't careful and put the engine oil in the transmission fill tube. You could check it through an oil sample and analysis to find out for sure. If transmission fluid were to be contaminated by engine oil, we would see a viscosity increase, oxidation by FTIR would decrease and the zinc, phosphorus and calcium additive levels would increase dramatically. The end result would be a reduction in the life of the transmission fluid.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #790

Tom, I would like to add my thanks to the long list of RVs who are using your analysis protocol to monitor tranny fluid condition. Per your advice, I swapped out the two filters this weekend and to my surprise, only lost maybe 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of fluid. Just topped off with new TranSyn and am good until next year. Because I assumed I was going to just change fluid at the 4 year point, I did let the filters go 3.5 years [about 40k miles] but dont see any real issues with letting it go a bit longer...Thanks again.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #791

Tom;
Valvoline has a Synthetic T fluid that says TES 389 approved. But I can't find it listed on the Allison Website. That list is dated 2011, I think. Is it O.K. to use in our 1000? Not concerned about extended drain intervals, as we'll not drive it an additional 150K, probably only 50K! (We do not tow, either)
bamagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #792

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Mr_D,
Are you running TranSynd in your Allison 4000 Series? It can appear as a gold or greenish color sometimes under the right light. We were never sure of the exact cause but I've seen it several times over the years. However, oil analysis never revealed any change in fluid properties. In my mind, the color is not that important.

I suppose it could be engine oil contamination if someone wasn't careful and put the engine oil in the transmission fill tube. You could check it through an oil sample and analysis to find out for sure. If transmission fluid were to be contaminated by engine oil, we would see a viscosity increase, oxidation by FTIR would decrease and the zinc, phosphorus and calcium additive levels would increase dramatically. The end result would be a reduction in the life of the transmission fluid.
TranSynd? That's one of the questions. We bought the MH in mid Feb. and drove it 2,600 miles before the engine blew. Only has 45,000 miles on it now and an unknown service history. The previous owner owned a trucking firm so I suspect it was taken care of correctly but don't know for sure. Guess I'm going to have to get the Advanced kit and send a sample in to know for sure.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #793

Monaco Owners Club
I have an allison 4000mh in my 03 Beaver Patriot Thunder. I have owned it for a year so I took it in for all fluids and filters to be changed. I found out that the mechanic put Amsoil ATF torque drive tes-295 compliant fluid in the transmission. Will this fluid cause problems in the next year or so? It cost a bunch and I would rather not change it out unless I have to. Thank you for your help.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #794

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Amsoil is NOT an approved fluid for the Allison as they've never had it tested and certified. Who says it's "compliant"? Not Allison.
Seems Amsoil plays very loose with their "compliance" claims.
I'd would never have left the shop with that fluid.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #795

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Amsoil is NOT an approved fluid for the Allison as they've never had it tested and certified. Who says it's "compliant"? Not Allison.
Seems Amsoil plays very loose with their "compliance" claims.
I'd would never have left the shop with that fluid.
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately I am very new to this and just didn't realize until someone else pointed it out. My question is: is it necessary to spend the money to switch it over. Please answer like it is your money and not mine! That's why I picked the Mr. Transynd forum to ask. Thanks again.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #796

Newmar Owners Club
I recently had the Advanced test ran on my 4000. Interesting that it states model is "missing information" because I know I wrote it on the form. I did not know the FILTER TYPE or the LUBRICANT TIME of the oil, since I just got the RV. If I am interpreting it correctly, I don't need to do anything at this time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison 2015_0314 JG Lubricants.pdf (95.4 KB, 50 views)
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I recently had the Advanced test ran on my 4000. Interesting that it states model is "missing information" because I know I wrote it on the form. I did not know the FILTER TYPE or the LUBRICANT TIME of the oil, since I just got the RV. If I am interpreting it correctly, I don't need to do anything at this time.
Now that you mention missing model number my report also had model and they said no model. I also listed how many miles the oil had on it, when it was installed and type of fluid and still they said on report that it was used fluid and not new like stated. I went to the trouble of telling them all the details I could think of and they did not look at any of it. Tom did call me and say we are good to go and retest next year. Send an email to Jg and ask for and interpretation of results.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately I am very new to this and just didn't realize until someone else pointed it out. My question is: is it necessary to spend the money to switch it over. Please answer like it is your money and not mine! That's why I picked the Mr. Transynd forum to ask. Thanks again.

If it were my money, I would send a sample to JG a year from now and either replace it or not based on the results of that test.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote