Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Harsh down shifts

We have had our 2005 Dutchstar for just over a year.
Spartan chassis, ISL370, 3000MH trans.

Coach ran fine last year, no issues.

Has been fine on the first trip this year and up to yesterday.

When returning to the storage yard last evening, with exhaust brake on, when I removed my foot from the throttle to slow down to turn into storage yard, when the exhaust brake angaged and the transmission downshifted, it was very harsh.
Checked trans fluid with dipstick (was unaware of the keypad fluid check), and it was in the middle of the hot range.

Did not have time to look at anything else last night.

Did some research last night

Went back to yard today to take coach out for a road test and to get it hot enough for the keypad fluid level check.

While driving with exhaust brake on, down shifts from 5-4 were very harsh, 4-3 were also harsh but not as bad. 6-5 was fine.

With exhaust brake off, down shifts were still harsh, but not as bad

Under acceleration, shifts seemed normal except 3-4. That shift seemed to have a slight hesitation that caused the engine to rev slightly. Don’t ever recall that previously.

After my drive, I performed the fluid check by means of the keypad and it read ‘ok’

I then checked for any codes and there are no stored codes in any of the 5 spots.

No lights have come on, on the dash board.

Was doing some internet searching and found a video of someone with a speedometer that was acting up and experiencing poor shifting and he replaced the output speed sensor and all was well.

My speedometer is a little erratic sometimes, but I thought that was normal.

Would a defective output speed sensor throw a code? Or does the sensor just send data to the ECU and it responds accordingly?

While checking around I noticed a broken exhaust pipe, just before the muffler. It’s a bit of a stretch, but does the engine computer monitor back pressure? Could that have anything to do with shifting we are experiencing? Don’t completely understand everything going on with these coach’s, but I learn more everyday

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Sorry for long post

Thanks
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Have you done the scheduled maintenance involving fluid
and both filters being changed ?
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #3

Fluid and filters changed by dealer befor we took delivery.
Coach had 45,000 on it when service performed, only put 3000 on it since
Old 05-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #4

If you had the batteries out/disconnected it may have to relearn the shifts.
Mine did that when I changed from regular fluid to TranSyn.
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

Mine was doing the same on downshifting with the exhaust brake on. Had fluid & filters changed, no difference. Found out my exhaust manifold was broken/cracked. Had it replaced. The trip home, 600 miles) was uneventful except for improved performance & fuel economy. Come to find out the Allison responds to boost readings and back pressure. Worth a shot checking. My engine is a Cummins 8.3 ISC.
Kbrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Years a go I had a 6 speed that started downshifting hard and it really concerned me. Turned out I just needed to go get reprogramed and all was well!
Coach Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrede View Post
Mine was doing the same on downshifting with the exhaust brake on. Had fluid & filters changed, no difference. Found out my exhaust manifold was broken/cracked. Had it replaced. The trip home, 600 miles) was uneventful except for improved performance & fuel economy. Come to find out the Allison responds to boost readings and back pressure. Worth a shot checking. My engine is a Cummins 8.3 ISC.
Thanks for reply

I think the ISL8.9 monitors the same thing because I found we had a broken flex pipe. I replaced that with a new flex pipe and clamps from Spartan and everything is back to normal. The most puzzling thing for me is the fact that before I fixed the exhausr issue, the application of the service brake was turning off the exhaust brake, it is all better now.