RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
In June or July of 2006, Allison introduced a High Capacity filter for the 3000 and 4000 MH transmissions, replacing the Gold series filters.

Transmissions with serial number higher than the ones listed no longer need the 5000 mile service.

Quote:
3000 and 4000 Product Families Transmissions Elimination of Initial Filter Change Requirement and Kit:
Beginning with S/N 6510670912, S/N 6610205144, S/N 6520067342,and S/N 6620002521 transmissions equipped with Allison high-capacity filter do not require an initial main filter change at 5000 miles/8000 km/200 hours.

However, serial numbers prior to those numbers listed above, Allison Transmission requires the initial filter change interval. An
initial main filter kit (2 inch kit P/N 29540495 or 4 inch kit P/N 29540496) contains
only one Gold series filter and all necessary seals and gaskets to perform the first 5000 mile/8000 km/200 hour main filter change.

These kits have been completely cancelled. Once stock has been depleted, it will be necessary to order the high-capacity filter from the Allison Parts Distribution Center.
HERE is a link to the Allison web site with additional info, and info on other transmission models.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Awwwwww nuts! I missed the cut on not having to get an initial filter change serial number by 20,000! I'm comming up on that in 1000 miles. Oh well, what another dollar or....?
AKBrick

Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

I just bought the two filters (main & lub)for the transmission MT3000 and I am about to do the main filter change. Having read the Allison instructions, it does not appear to be a difficult task. However, I did not get the two seals and the gasket. I assume that you are supposed to use the old ones. I would feel more confortable if someone who has done the main filter change could confirm this or advise me to get new seals and gasket.

Always appreciate your help.
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #4

Where did you get a filter set without the gaskets and seals? I've changed mine three times, twice with the Gold Series and last with the newer High Efficiency filters, and they always come as a set with all gaskets and seals necessary for the change. Never saw the gaskets listed any place by themselves.
Wagonmaster2
Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #5

I wish to report that I changed the filter. The kit contained two High Capacity Filters as well as all the required o rings and gaskets - P/N 29545779. It is a very easy task. The first thing to do is to determine which transmission covers to remove. It is easy because they are identified as MAIN and LUBE on the bottom transmission pan. The one to be removed is the main filter. All you need to do is unscrewing six long bolts and prying the cover off. There is not that much oil that will be dripping down - approx 1 quart. Remove any parts of the gasket material from the pan and the cover, remove the filter from the cover, remove the two o rings, clean the cover, oil the two new o rings and install them, oil the o ring inside the filter, assemble the filter and the cover together by turning and pushing, place the gasket on the cover and insert this assy into the transmission and screw in the six bolts to a torque of 38 to 45 lb ft not more otherwise you may tear the treads inside the aluminium transmission housing). Start the engine, let it warm up, move the transmission selector through all gears, and leave it in neutral with the engine running at idle. You will need to add close to two quarts of Transynd oil to bring it up to the proper level. You should be all done in less than 30 minutes.

I should say that since you only need one filter, you can share the other identical filter with one of your buddy just like the oil which is not sold in quantity less than 1 gal.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
RLS

Gaetan, Is that 38 to 45 IN LBS or FT LBS?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 AM   #7

Bob,

Torque all filter cover retaining bolts to 51-61 N"óm (38-45 lb ft) as per Allison Service Tip #1099H.

Sorry about the late reply.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, good! So where is the SN on these things??
Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never mind, I found it!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Greetings All,

Is it difficult to get all the old tranny fluid out? I usually do my own work but have always struggled with transmission fluid changes because it has been hard for me to get all the old/spent fluid out of the transmission. Just finished changing the motor oil and generator oil and would really love to knock out the trans fluid without having to pay someone to bail me out.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun
Greetings All,

Is it difficult to get all the old tranny fluid out? I usually do my own work but have always struggled with transmission fluid changes because it has been hard for me to get all the old/spent fluid out of the transmission. Just finished changing the motor oil and generator oil and would really love to knock out the trans fluid without having to pay someone to bail me out.
Which transmission do you have? Due to fluid retention in the torque converter, it's not possible to drain it all. The best you can do is let it warm up some & the drain. If you have the Allison 3000/4000 there is a drain plug and also a fair amount will drop out of the filter wells.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby

Which transmission do you have? Due to fluid retention in the torque converter, it's not possible to drain it all. The best you can do is let it warm up some & the drain. If you have the Allison 3000/4000 there is a drain plug and also a fair amount will drop out of the filter wells.
I have the 3000 MH. I figured i couldn't get it all out which is why I was considering paying an Allison Shop to do it figuring they can pump it all out. Good news is once done, should be good for 50K miles, and maybe more with moderate use only.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
I have the 3000 MH. I figured i couldn't get it all out which is why I was considering paying an Allison Shop to do it figuring they can pump it all out. Good news is once done, should be good for 50K miles, and maybe more with moderate use only.
Allison does not recommend using a flushing machine and I don't know if an Allison shop will do that. The recommendation from Allison is doing 2 drains. The first drain Transynd refill you treat as if it were Dex III. then the 2nd Transynd fill is considered 100%. After that replace filters every 36 months and do a fluid sample after the first 48 months on the Transynd. If it tests ok retest annually.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby

Allison does not recommend using a flushing machine and I don't know if an Allison shop will do that. The recommendation from Allison is doing 2 drains. The first drain Transynd refill you treat as if it were Dex III. then the 2nd Transynd fill is considered 100%. After that replace filters every 36 months and do a fluid sample after the first 48 months on the Transynd. If it tests ok retest annually.
Thanks for the tips. Maybe I will just do it myself then. Can't be too complicated.