Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #43

Also read this on the same page... and there is nothing anywhere that I can see about cycling the ignition 5 times to reset the TPS...

"After replacing or adjusting the throttle position sensor linkage, the technician should use the diagnostic tool to clear the throttle calibration. Go to the DDR selection menu and locate ACTION REQUESTS. Select RESET THROTTLE CALIBRATION and ENTER to set the 0 percent throttle counts. After the idle counts are established, the throttle should be moved to the Full position to establish the full or Wide Open Throttle (WOT) position (100 percent). The full throttle counts will be the same as the idle counts until the throttle is moved. The full throttle counts are set when maximum travel is reached so stopping before actual full throttle will set the 100 percent point artificially low."
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #44

Piker, I don't know if you have this, but pay attention to the part that covers "adapting shifts". It is under the category 'DRIVING TIPS' then 'ADAPTING SHIFTS'.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3000_4000_operators.pdf (2.10 MB, 77 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Piker, I don't know if you have this, but pay attention to the part that covers "adapting shifts". It is under the category 'DRIVING TIPS' then 'ADAPTING SHIFTS'.
That looks to be for the WTEC III controls? Not sure if it's the same for the WTEC II, which is what our system is.

-cheers
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
That looks to be for the WTEC III controls? Not sure if it's the same for the WTEC II, which is what our system is.

-cheers
Dang, shot down again........
Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #47

I replaced my throttle position sensor several years ago. I think the actual problem was the "stud" that the throttle cable attached to at the injection pump and held in place with a cotter pin, had worn down and had a groove in it. It had almost cut all the way through the post. I lucked out because one of the mechanics at Allison had a used one in his toolbox that he sold me for $5. With everything you have done to your engine, you may have taken a look at yours, but it was something I had not noticed even after detaching the old and installing the new. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #48

Piker, check this out: http://www.superflow.com/support/sup...on_WTEC_II.pdf
This may help too: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/HE...e-shooting.pdf
Old 04-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #49

Thanks guys... I think I'm good to go...

Since I got the wiring fixed, and since I did the 5 ignition cycle thingy (not sure if that did anything or not)... the shifts have really started to improve with each little road trip we take. It still holds on to the downshifts the same as always when I take my foot off the gas, but now it kicks down a gear with a lot more ease if I decide to get back on the throttle. Actually, I don't think the tranny has EVER kicked down from 6th to 5th above 55 mph, but now if I press the pedal far enough it does. It's actually pretty nice.

I did have the issue of it not wanting to go into gear a couple more times... it really didn't seem like it was idling too high, but I went ahead and turned it down a little anyways. I'll just keep an eye on it, and hopefully that won't be an issue any more.

All for now, and thanks again.

-cheers
Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #50

Oh I do hope you have it....
Old 05-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #51

Hmmm

This thing is shifting better than ever... but I'm still getting that glitch where every once in a while it acts like the idle is too high and won't go into gear... even after I've lowered the idle back down to where it was.

Tonight after a little drive, I shut the engine off while we stopped somewhere... and when I started it back up it it would not engage... all I did though was flog the throttle up to about 1500 rpm and then back down to idle and it went right into gear.

I do notice that the volt meter on the dash won't go up to nominal after you start the engine until the rpm reaches about 1200 or so for the first time. Once you hit 1200, the volt meter moves into the green and stays there regardless of rpm. Not sure what that is all about, but it's always done it... maybe with the new wiring to the tcm this voltage fluctuation is having g an I'll effect?

I'll try to pay attention to what the volt meter is reading next time it won't engage. Any other thoughts?

-cheers
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #52

My thoughts are to start the coach and check voltage at the battery while the dash gauge shows low voltage with a DMM, then after the dash gauge shows good voltage. I am wondering if the TCM is not seeing the correct voltage and causing you some issues.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #53

That sounds easy enough to do.

I wonder what could be causing the voltage drop in the first place? There's no glow plugs or heater grids on this engine. Is there a relay or something in the alternator that won't allow it to start charging until it reaches a certain threshold? I've never heard of such a thing, but then again... you could fill a warehouse with stuff I don't know.

Maybe it's the relay that ties in the house batteries once the engine is running? Has to see voltage from the alternator before it kicks in? Maybe the jump in voltage is just because 3 batteries are better than 1?

-cheers
Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #54

I don't know about how yours is, but my 5.9 (in a Dodge) has a crankshaft position sensor that tells the PCM the engine is running so it allow the alternator to charge. The sensor is right above the harmonic damper and the two wires run almost straight up the block to about the level of the valve covers.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #55

Well, I guess I need to learn how alternators work and what the wiring looks like... If there's a wire to tell the alternator when to start charging, then I'm guessing it comes from the TCM? There is nothing on the allison wiring schematic that says "alternator" on it, but there are some switched output functions.

It's possible the delay in alternator charging is not what's causing the issue of not being able to shift into gear... like I said, the delay in charging until the rpm is raised has always been there... but perhaps it's just another effect of whatever issue is keeping the tranny from going into gear.

Maybe the engine speed sensor or it's associated wiring is faulty? I'll check the troubleshooting manual to see if there's a way to test it.

Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend... more troubleshooting.

-cheers
Old 05-06-2016, 04:17 AM   #56

Looking at some wiring schematics for alternators... it appears as if I am simply missing the "field wire" which excites the alternator into charging. I read that the alternator will energize without this wire, but it might take additional rpm's to do it? Maybe this is my issue with the alternator, but I don't know if it will have anything to do with the tranny not going into gear. I'll look into it.

-cheers