Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

I am getting a service light and error code displaying 66 00. Any idea what this is for?
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 AM   #2

D1 66 00 getting same but I don't have a code manual to be able to know what is causing it.
Service Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #3

code 66-00 indicates a "serial communications interface" fault.

Main code 66 indicates the ECU is expecting to get its throttle position sensor (TPS) signal across a serial
communication interface from a computer-controlled engine. Either the engine computer is not sending the TPS
information or the wiring between the engine and transmission computers has failed.
Code 66 00 can occur when the transmission ECU remains powered when the engine ECM is powered down.
The transmission sees this as a communication link failure.
Hope this helps you start troubleshooting.

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 AM   #4

Thanks. But the engine starts OK. The throttle works. When the gear is engaged the reverse or 3 flashes. When it does sometime get into gear, it will only go in reverse gear or forward drive. When I switch off, I have play again with the lever until it gets in gear. I have by-passed all the air switches just in case it was a faulty air switch. I have tested the ECU, sensors on MD3060 on different trucks- they work. There is a little black pcb full in epoxy. This one I have not tested on other equip yet. YOur useful advice please.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #5

I can't for sure say how it effects the engine start but...This info is from the 1998 Allison WTEC2 Troubleshooting manual. the66-00 code does not set a "do not shift" light and the "inhibited operation description" is - use default throttle values, DNA (ECU stops adaptive shift control while the code is active)

Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #6

troubleshooting,
1.Check for a TPS signal from the engine to the transmission, an engine computer malfunction, or an engine TPS fault.
2. Check wires 142 and 151 between the engine and transmission ECUs for an open or short and check that all connections are clean and tightly connected.
3. Use the Pro-Link to see if the ECU is receiving power when it should not.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #7

Has anyone got wiring diagram for the MD3060. Mail address anarraina@hotmail.com --
Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Service Eng:
Has anyone got wiring diagram for the MD3060. Mail address anarraina@hotmail.com --
Entire trouble shooting manual sent.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #9

Thanks a lot. This will surely help me a lot. Thanks Thanks Thanks.
I'll let you know how I get along with this problem. I found out that there is another filter inside the gear box. I will check that too.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #10

I have started check only to find out that the cable and wiring harness is of different type.
Date code : 03-10-2004
Model No : WT3ECU911A
\throttle : Auto detect.
Gov Rpm : 2500
Pri-Mode : 1-3S2
Sec-Mode : 1-4S3
TID : 3
In fact I need a WTECIII trouble shooting manual.
I have checked all the cables from the Transmission to ECU and all OK ( COntinuity test and no short )
I have checked all the cables from the air valves to ECU also. The rest I cant figure out.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 AM   #11

I have also changed the ECU to another truck. It works fine. I have also changed the gear shift lever and that works too. I have taken the whole box with ECU & VIM complete and tested on another truck and it works. There must be an intermittent cable from the engine ECU to the transmission ECU that I cant find without proper WTECIII wiring.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #12

still having the same trouble (D1 66 00)

How do I know which wires are:
Check wires 142 and 151 between the engine and transmission ECUs for an open or short and check that all connections are clean and tightly connected
Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #13

Also - if anyone can forward a copy of the trouble shooting manual I would greatly appreciate it.

pheney@comcast.net

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #14

Hey Pheney. I have sorted out my problem. It was only an intermittent air valve switch. But unfortunately for me it had a normal closed contact. Hence bypassing it with a piece of wire was not of any help (specially if you dont have any wiring diagram to see this ). What ECU have you got? If you have a WTECII I can help with the trouble shooting manual. I am still looking for a trouble shooting manual for a WTECIII.