Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
MH 3000/4000 Transynd 36 Month Maintenance

Here's another chapter in the long saga of interpreting the maintenance guidelines for the Allison 3000/4000 series transmissions with Transynd.

My last understanding was both the fluid and filters had to be changed every 36 months or 75K miles. I just made an appointment with Pacific Power Systems near my home for this Friday. They are an Allison certified distributor and repair center.

On the phone the service writer says the 36 month maintenance will cost [only] $289 for filter swap, fluid analysis and top off. After the reverse sticker shock wore off I asked for more details telling him I was under the impression from the maintenance manual (and all the discussions on IRV2) the Transynd fluid needed to be changed every 36 months regardless. He said they only change the fluid when the analysis says it's time to change the fluid. He's seem motorhomes goes 150K miles and 6 years before needing the fluid changed.

All of a sudden owning a Allison with Transynd appears to be a bargain. I will let you know more after the analysis comes back.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would follow Allison's recommendation, especailly if the trans was still under warranty.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

My point is this is per a very well established and highly regarded Allison distributor/dealer who does a lot of motorhome maintenance, not a Allison "certified" shop.

I will bring the maintenance manual in with me and ask they show me the Allison docs which override it.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Let us know the outcome.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...ull&sUNIT=null
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #6

Allison recommends for this transmission 36 months for the filters and 48 months for the TranSynd fluid. Check the website out as posted above.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #7

I have always believed,expected and planned the filter and fluid changes based on time alone. My gut says the service writer quoted the procedure for a MD (medium duty truck) transmission application and not a MH (motor home). It goes in tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #8

Both the lube and aux filters are ridiculously easy to change, unbolt the cover plates underneath and they fall right out. The main will only loose a quart or so of fluid and the lube about a half gallon. These Allison filters are about $40-$50ea. You can find TranSynd for about $30-$40gal at some HD truck parts stores.

The newer High Capacity type filter is Allison #29545779 the old Gold type is Allison #29540494 lots of suppliers still burning off the old stock of Gold filters. Insist on the high capacity even if you have it done at a shop, specifically ask to see the part number they will use!

If you opt to test the fluid send it to www.blackstone-labs.com for about $25
Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
Insist on the high capacity even if you have it done at a shop, specifically ask to see the part number they will use!
Yep! High cap only.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #10

First, in response to RVDude, I would love to DIY this maintenance but I'm still full time employed for at least another 8 years and don't have time to do this work. Paying the shop to to the work is worth my time. In fact I sit in a shops lounge and telecommute via wi-fi which is ultra geek efficient .

Okay..here's the summary on the maintenance cycle and how things might be approached differently for some of us.

Went to Pacific Power Products http://www.pacificdda.com/ for Allison MH 3000 36 service months maintenance. They are the biggest, and by all accounts the best, Allison distributor and service centers in the Pacific Northwest.

The service manager walked me through Allison Service Information Letter 10-TR-99-rev_F (full page http://pacifier.com/~jcp/Allison-SIL...Rev_F_full.jpg) which on the surface mirrors what we have all read and understood about initial Gold Filter replacement at 36 months and Transynd fluid changed at 48 months as applies to most of our rigs as they came from the factory . So far no surprises.

BUT! There is a note in the letter which says the preferred method for determining when you should change fluid is based on fluid analysis and the 48 month/4000 hours/150K miles is to be used when fluid analysis isn't available (enlargement of note http://pacifier.com/~jcp/Allison-SIL...lysis_note.jpg). The intent here is to say the fluid should be changed when it needs to be changed which could be more or less than 48 months.

The service manager continued to say that even for lightly used motor homes the big deal is moisture but Transynd has turned out to be so resilient they have a lot of customers at 5-6 years and 100K miles and the fluid is still good.

So I went with their process (yes I got the High Cap filters) and saved myself $350 (for now). Allison uses Horizon 3 for fluid analysis. My results will be posted at http://www.trackmysample.com in 2-3 weeks using a tracking number supplied by the shop (see http://pacifier.com/~jcp/Allilson_fl...s_tracking.jpg if you want to look at my results when they are available).

My summarized interpretation of this alternative as presented to me is analyze the fluid starting at 36 months when the filters are changed and then every year until it's changed, then start again when the filters are changed again (48 months in my case since now I have the High Cap filters). The analysis is about $45 with shop labor and $25 if DIY. In theory for the first fluid change you would probably save $$ by deferring to later.

One improvement to this alternate approach I'm thinking about when it comes time to change the filters again in another 48 months I'll pull enough fluid to send it in for analysis on my own BEFORE the filters are changed.

Putting on the devil advocate hat what if they change the filters and do the analysis and then find you need to change the fluid immediately. Then you have to pay for and change the filters a second time. So to RVDudes point with the High Cap filters putting fluid and filters on the same 48 month cycle you can consider paying for the extra 8 gallons of Transynd @ $40/gal (plus tax) and replace all the fluid as a simpler approach with less to remember with every thing on the same 48 month cycle?

NOTE: While compiling this post I notice the Allison Service Information Letter is for transmissions prior to specific serial numbers which can be seen at the top of the letter. My guess is the units after these serial numbers came with High Cap filters from the factory and have filter/fluid baseline cycles that are identical (e.g. 48 months) as they come from the factory. Next time I have a chance I'll go back to Pacific Power Products and ask for the SIL for the newer transmissions.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for geeting back to us and providing so much info.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #12

vicsryd, i followed everything you posted exept the part about 8 gal. of transynd. my 300mh requires 19 qts with a filter change. i have a deep sump pan with 4" filters. maybe i'm missing something. thanks! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #13

Good point. Some of my math was faulty .

BUT...

Please see bottom right of the scanned service letter. For the 3000 MH with 4" sump just changing the main and lube filters is 10 quarts. 29 quarts is the "initial fill" and 19 quarts is "refill". And on this letter this is assuming the Gold Filters not the High Capacity filters.

My definition of "fluid change" is to replace all 29 quarts. Therefore you have to pump out the other 10 quarts. Pacific Power Products does this which justifies some of the extra cost. I would guess most of the DIY's do not. This points again to fluid analysis when pulling the filters as a good additional measure because DIY mode means your not changing 1/3 of the fluid.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #14

I received my fluid analysis back in the mail. After 15K miles and 36 months it's nearly perfect. See the scan here http://www.pacifier.com/~jcp/Allison_Result_web.jpg