Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
RLS

MH 3000 Fluid

I am confused.. not hard to do at my age... I need to change the fluid in my MH3000. What is the difference between Dexron III, TES 295, and TranSynd? I was looking at the Allison website and got lost. Is TES 295 the generic version of TranSynd? Or a generic version of Dexron III?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #2

TranSynd (by Castrol) is a $40/gal synthetic "formulated" to Allison's TES295 spec and the only flavor certified by Allison for their extended filter/fluid intervals. I don't know of any other TES295 spec fluid. It's a little game they play. You can be sure, TranSynd is NOT Dexron (insert any digit here).

What's in your rig now? Use that or do a full flush w/ TranSynd. Search these forums, ton's of info on that. Just make sure to use the Allison "high capacity" filters and not the older "gold series" filters/ You'll get a longer interval out them.

Here's a thread to start you out.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/mh-3...nce-50033.html
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
TranSynd (by Castrol) is a $40/gal synthetic "formulated" to Allison's TES295 spec and the only flavor certified by Allison for their extended filter/fluid intervals. I don't know of any other TES295 spec fluid. It's a little game they play. You can be sure, TranSynd is NOT Dexron (insert any digit here).

What's in your rig now? Use that or do a full flush w/ TranSynd. Search these forums, ton's of info on that. Just make sure to use the Allison "high capacity" filters and not the older "gold series" filters/ You'll get a longer interval out them.

Here's a thread to start you out.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/mh-3...nce-50033.html
TES 295 Approved Fluids: Fluids: Service: Allison Transmission

The above link will get you to the list of approved TES-295 fluids. TranSynd is not the only one anymore.

Transmission Engineering Spec 295 isn't a recipe for a formula. It's a performance spec. The testing to pass it is expensive and takes a long time. Allison has learned a lot over the years about what fluid in a heavy duty automatic transmission that actually works in its duty cycle has to do. It's a lot different than an automatic in a 4000 lb car.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #4

RLS: Your tranny was originally equipped with Dexron III. It is no longer made because GM stopped "licensing" the oil companies to use that name. They now have to use Dexron VI, and it is a different formulation. The packaging on Dexron VI states that it is the direct replacement for Dexron III, and can be used in trannys previously using Dexron III. This is simply NOT TRUE for ALLISON, only for GM trannys. Please do not put Dexron VI in your older Allison, it will (not may) damage the seals and cause you lots of trouble. You will need to switch to TranSynd or one of the other synthetic fluids which meet Allison Spec 295. Just don't use Dexron VI. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
RLS: Your tranny was originally equipped with Dexron III. It is no longer made because GM stopped "licensing" the oil companies to use that name. They now have to use Dexron VI, and it is a different formulation. The packaging on Dexron VI states that it is the direct replacement for Dexron III, and can be used in trannys previously using Dexron III. This is simply NOT TRUE for ALLISON, only for GM trannys. Please do not put Dexron VI in your older Allison, it will (not may) damage the seals and cause you lots of trouble. You will need to switch to TranSynd or one of the other synthetic fluids which meet Allison Spec 295. Just don't use Dexron VI. ED
Good catch. I forgot that. That is absolutely true. Don't use Dexron VI in any 1/2/3/4000 transmission produced before January 2007. Given the cost of most motorhomes, I wouldn't try to save a few bucks by using Dexron instead of a TES-295 approved fluid.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote