Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Need transmission help

I have a 2008 Beaver Contessa Rome with 52k miles on it. It has the C9 425, but unsure of the transmission. I had Freightliner do a transmission fluid change approximately a year ago and 12k miles. Since the fluid change my shifting is harder and the transmission temp. has increased approximately 10 degrees. I'm planning on at least a 5k mile trip shortly to the south and brought the MH in to a shop to have a safety check done. I also wanted them to change the transmission fluid and filters, due to not being happy with the last fluid change. The shop dropped my transmission pan and changed the filters. New pan gasket installed and fluids were filled. Transmission will not go past 2nd gear now. Shop has no idea why this is happening and can not come up with any codes. Please help..
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Beaver View Post
I have a 2008 Beaver Contessa Rome with 52k miles on it. It has the C9 425, but unsure of the transmission. I had Freightliner do a transmission fluid change approximately a year ago and 12k miles. Since the fluid change my shifting is harder and the transmission temp. has increased approximately 10 degrees. I'm planning on at least a 5k mile trip shortly to the south and brought the MH in to a shop to have a safety check done. I also wanted them to change the transmission fluid and filters, due to not being happy with the last fluid change. The shop dropped my transmission pan and changed the filters. New pan gasket installed and fluids were filled. Transmission will not go past 2nd gear now. Shop has no idea why this is happening and can not come up with any codes. Please help..

You need to get it to a competent shop. There would be no reason to drop the transmission pan to change filters. They mount on cover plates that fit onto filters wells on the bottom of the transmission.

The original problem of increased temps after a change could be caused by an over fill. A nationally known shop over filled mine by 4 quarts and I noticed a 10 degree increase in temp until I drained the overage.

Your transmission was built with Transynd fluid. Do you know what either shop used?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Steve, I requested Transynd by both shops. I'm assuming both used what I asked.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

With a C-9, you should have an Allison 4000 series.
Here's the code retrieval info, but any shop should have access to this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison trans codes.pdf (425.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Skip, I just spoke to the Tech., who informed me that a rep from Allison will be going to the shop to diagnose the problem. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Thanks Skip, I just spoke to the Tech., who informed me that a rep from Allison will be going to the shop to diagnose the problem. Fingers crossed.

Let me know if you need my help.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like wrong fluids or levels too high or low. Check oil levels on level ground and at proper temp. Good Luck
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks all for the help. I just spoke with the Tech. who said the Allison rep found a bad sensor and the sensor was ordered and should be there today. Hopefully this is the fix. The rep from Allison thinks the sensor was damaged when the pan was dropped. I will update when the new sensor is installed.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

I agree with Steve. No need to drop the pan for any Allison. A damaged speed sensor could only be the turbine speed on a 3000 series transmission, as they are external on a 4000.

I have had a similar issue when a tech removed a sump on a 3000 series and the seals that sit in the top of the valve body itself and supply fluid to the clutches remained in the main housing without him knowing. when he put the assembly back up the seal was crushed and therefore no fluid was supplied to the clutch and no drive. I forget the range affected in this case, but would have been 2nd or 3rd.

A faulty speed sensor should log a code.
Scotty1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Scotty, I will ask the tech why he dropped the pan?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks all for the help. I just spoke with the Tech. who said the Allison rep found a bad sensor and the sensor was ordered and should be there today. Hopefully this is the fix. The rep from Allison thinks the sensor was damaged when the pan was dropped. I will update when the new sensor is installed.
yep
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission