Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New to the DP world

A couple questions that hopefully you experts can assist with. I just brought my MH home from a Freightliner service center. I took it in for a small oil leak which they troubleshot to an engine rear main seal leak. The funny part is they sent me away to find a Cummins service center because they did not have the capability to do the work
Question 1: What is meant when they say to maintain the torque with the engine RPM? I do not understand this.

Question 2: After a 1 hour drive home with dash AC running, I stopped at my house, put the tranny in neutral with brake set. I notice RPM was up to about 1100-1200 RPM. The engine temp was a little over a quarter( blue range). It continued to idle high for about 5 minutes until I decided not to wait any more for the idle to come down. When I pressed on the brake pedal, it dropped back down to idle. Is this normal? Any ideas?

Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We need more details. Age, model, engine size, mileage all clues are helpful

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you look online for information about your engine, you'll find a line graph showing RPM and torque. You should learn to keep the engine RPM in the power range of the most torque. Sometimes on a long gradual hill, your RPMs will drop and so will the torque. The engine is actually 'lugging' and building up heat. In those conditions, it's best to manually downshift to raise RPM and get in a better torque range. On a hill, I pay more attention to RPM and engine temperature than I do MPH.

It sounds like your engine was at fast idle to cool itself down. I can set a fast idle with my cruise control to build up air pressure and trigger it off by touching the brake. Sounds like your ECU was doing the same thing after driving it. Never come off the interstate and immediately shut down the engine, let it run at fast idle for 5 minutes to get rid of the heat built up in the turbo. To shut down while hot can actually 'cook' the oil in the turbo bearings and damage it. You don't ride a horse and put it up 'wet.' Same for your diesel.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
It continued to idle high for about 5 minutes until I decided not to wait any more for the idle to come down. When I pressed on the brake pedal, it dropped back down to idle. Is this normal? Any ideas?
Check to see if you still had your cruise control still on...
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Check to see if you still had your cruise control still on...
X2 sounds a bit like a high idle from the cruise control setting, when it disengaged after they hit the brake, it made sense to me.
cinitall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm sorry. 2018 380 ISL Cummins with Allison 3100 tranny. 2100 miles. I drove 3 miles at 35 MPH after coming off the interstate.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
A couple questions that hopefully you experts can assist with. I just brought my MH home from a Freightliner service center. I took it in for a small oil leak which they troubleshot to an engine rear main seal leak. The funny part is they sent me away to find a Cummins service center because they did not have the capability to do the work
Question 1: What is meant when they say to maintain the torque with the engine RPM? I do not understand this.

Question 2: After a 1 hour drive home with dash AC running, I stopped at my house, put the tranny in neutral with brake set. I notice RPM was up to about 1100-1200 RPM. The engine temp was a little over a quarter( blue range). It continued to idle high for about 5 minutes until I decided not to wait any more for the idle to come down. When I pressed on the brake pedal, it dropped back down to idle. Is this normal? Any ideas?
On mine if I push the cruise control button when it is idling it increases to a faster idle as you describe and then goes back to normal if I touch the brake. This is a purposeful feature to allow more engine RPMs for functions like air pressure, etc. Maybe you came off and accidentally hit the cruise button when it was sitting at idle??? Go test it. It is supposed to work that way.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

My 2018 380 hp ISL does the exact same thing. I'm trying to idle down for a minute or two, and it goes up to high idle, cruise control on or off. I'm a firm believer that my intention is to cool down to stabilize temps, going up to high idle is not the way to do it. I've released the parking brake and held the service brake to prevent the high idle from coming on during this situation. Kind of drives me nuts, some sort of programming I assume.
johndfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Transmission will be a 3000MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinitall View Post
X2 sounds a bit like a high idle from the cruise control setting, when it disengaged after they hit the brake, it made sense to me.
The cruise control would have been canceled when touching the brakes and wouldn't (shouldn't) re-engage on its own. I suspect the high idle is triggered by the ECU and perhaps the turbo temperature.

I'd think a quick call to a Cummins garage should tell if this is proper behavior or a problem.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #11

I know this was not your question, but what do you think of the beeping alarm that goes off when in neutral and parking brake is not set? It bugs me a bit, seems to be overkill. I've driven Allison equipped fire apparatus for 30+ years, and none of them do that. Fire trucks have alarms for every situation, but no beeper for parking brake not set. Is that a Tiffin thing or possibly Freightliner chassis operation?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndfd View Post
I know this was not your question, but what do you think of the beeping alarm that goes off when in neutral and parking brake is not set? It bugs me a bit, seems to be overkill. I've driven Allison equipped fire apparatus for 30+ years, and none of them do that. Fire trucks have alarms for every situation, but no beeper for parking brake not set. Is that a Tiffin thing or possibly Freightliner chassis operation?
RVs aren't driven by professionally trained drivers. (usually) The RV could roll if no parking brake set and in neutral. Yes, cars could too, but perhaps the alarm helps to make things safer. In a car, you'd have to open the door (alarm might sound) in an RV driver could be getting up to go to the restroom or fridge, no exterior door opened.

If the alarm bothers you, don't leave the parking brake off, or put duct tape over the buzzer and reduce the volume of the alarm.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndfd View Post
I appreciate the alarm for safety reasons.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
RVs aren't driven by professionally trained drivers. (usually) The RV could roll if no parking brake set and in neutral. Yes, cars could too, but perhaps the alarm helps to make things safer. In a car, you'd have to open the door (alarm might sound) in an RV driver could be getting up to go to the restroom or fridge, no exterior door opened.

If the alarm bothers you, don't leave the parking brake off, or put duct tape over the buzzer and reduce the volume of the alarm.
I can go along with that. I pulled into a rest area years ago behind another coach. All of a sudden he started rolling back into my coach. I could not get started and out of the way in time. Punched a hole in the front of my coach.
He had stopped, jumped up to use the bathroom and forgot to set the park brake.