Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Newmar selector blinking

I have a 1994 newmar 38 foot DSL. 250hp Cummins, allension 6 speed trans, Have had it to Florida from MD 4 times and never a problem

started engine at beginning of spring and shifter led was blinking and "do not shift light came on"

I checked out couple of forums and stated batteries could be a problem . Has two chassis, one bad under load and 1 good. replaced both.
.Also replace terminals ends on trans wires at battery positive and negitive. No fuse present in battery case area and back of rv.
I am a certified mechanic so I do feel good around the engine or replacing units.

went on trip today 7/3/2015 ,100 miles ran great. Made a tight turn and transmission light started blinking. hard shifts. decided to make a run for home.

selector light blinked for around 15 minutes but trans worked well. light stopped blinking and made it home parked in driveway. Went out today started engine and "do not shift light on. Turned off ingition couple of times
2-3 times engine would not start when turning ignition key 4 time. must be safety switch

1. will look at transmission under hood. to check for 10amp fuse inside transmission module
2. will try to trace lines from ecm back to battery? wouldn't it just be easier to just replace the positive wire instead of trying to pull it out of the harness
or looking for pinched ot broken wire. could be broken inside and cant see?
3. sounds like if nothing works the 3rd option if the transmission selector needs to be looked at? understand John in TX Transmission instruments rebuilds them for $300. actually could be bad.
4. have no selector lights at all was blinking early now nothing

transmission slector blank and engine will not start. Speratic .

Can you send me your notes and pics so I can see if this will
help me resolve my problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have had this unit now for 4 years. this is its first problem that challenging me

thanks Michael and Debbie
Street MD
litch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by litch6 View Post
I have a 1994 newmar 38 foot DSL. 250hp Cummins, allension 6 speed trans, Have had it to Florida from MD 4 times and never a problem
started engine at beginning of spring and shifter led was blinking and "do not shift light came on"
I checked out couple of forums and stated batteries could be a problem . Has two chassis, one bad under load and 1 good. replaced both.
.Also replace terminals ends on trans wires at battery positive and negitive. No fuse present in battery case area and back of rv.
I am a certified mechanic so I do feel good around the engine or replacing units.
went on trip today 7/3/2015 ,100 miles ran great. Made a tight turn and transmission light started blinking. hard shifts. decided to make a run for home.
selector light blinked for around 15 minutes but trans worked well. light stopped blinking and made it home parked in driveway. Went out today started engine and "do not shift light on. Turned off ingition couple of times
2-3 times engine would not start when turning ignition key 4 time. must be safety switch
1. will look at transmission under hood. to check for 10amp fuse inside transmission module
2. will try to trace lines from ecm back to battery? wouldn't it just be easier to just replace the positive wire instead of trying to pull it out of the harness
or looking for pinched ot broken wire. could be broken inside and cant see?
3. sounds like if nothing works the 3rd option if the transmission selector needs to be looked at? understand John in TX Transmission instruments rebuilds them for $300. actually could be bad.
4. have no selector lights at all was blinking early now nothing
transmission slector blank and engine will not start. Speratic .
Can you send me your notes and pics so I can see if this will
help me resolve my problem.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have had this unit now for 4 years. this is its first problem that challenging me
thanks Michael and Debbie
Street MD
litch6
Check the opreation of all 6 relays in the Allison VIM, (Vehicle Interface Module), as well as the fuse:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

Mel
'96 Safari, M3060 Allison
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar