Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

No Power to trans

I have a 2001 Alpine Coach with a Cummins Engine and an Allison Trans with no power to the pad. Which in turn does not allow me to start my engine. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TCM? Thank you.

dillpenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is usually a fuse under or around the pad. It is usually the fix for this type of problem.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
This is not an uncommon problem. It's a long run from the chassis battery to the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) in most coaches, carrying the 12VDC power for the TCU.

Usually there are two wires, one for the positive and one for the negative 12 VDC (i.e. they don't typically use chassis ground for this) that run from the chassis battery posts, or nearby, to the VIM. The VIM is usually located near the shift selector. That could be in the exterior compartment below the driver's seat or in the void below the panel where the shift selector is located.

There are likely to be connectors of one kind or another in that wire run including how they are attached to the battery posts or distribution points nearby.

Here's an image of how Allison sees it.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #4

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
This is not an uncommon problem. It's a long run from the chassis battery to the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) in most coaches, carrying the 12VDC power for the TCU.

Usually there are two wires, one for the positive and one for the negative 12 VDC (i.e. they don't typically use chassis ground for this) that run from the chassis battery posts, or nearby, to the VIM. The VIM is usually located near the shift selector. That could be in the exterior compartment below the driver's seat or in the void below the panel where the shift selector is located.

There are likely to be connectors of one kind or another in that wire run including how they are attached to the battery posts or distribution points nearby.

Here's an image of how Allison sees it.

FWIW
You should have 4 or 5 10 volt fuses in your battery box.
I goes to the transmission computer.
1 goes to the engine computer
1 goes to the fuel pump. Maybe.
1 goes to the engine computer and stays hot after the engine starts.

Check the fuses and the wires beyond the fuses 4 ft. For a butt
Connection that can come loose.

If you have no power to the transmission, the transmission can not talk to the engine and it will not start.
John Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #5

Your VIM may not look like the one in the diagram , that appears to be for the Allison WTEC II system and your 2001 should have the WTEC III system .
VIM might look similar to the one in the yellow circle in first picture .
Second picture has cover removed , this is a Freightliner with Cat VIM so with Cummins you may have way more fuses.
Third picture is an older VIM showing it's internal fuse.
There have been posts about a poor solder joint in the power supply wiring so important to run voltage checks too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	202728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	202729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AllisonTrans VIM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	202730  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your VIM may not look like the one in the diagram , that appears to be for the Allison WTEC II system and your 2001 should have the WTEC III system .
The diagram is from the Allison 3000/4000 WTEC III troubleshooting manual. Below is an image of the first page and the top bit of the second page from the manual. The diagram accurately reflects the configuration and appearance found in the three coaches we have owned with WTEC III controls.
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
The diagram is from the Allison 3000/4000 WTEC III troubleshooting manual. Below is an image of the first page and the top bit of the second page from the manual. The diagram accurately reflects the configuration and appearance found in the three coaches we have owned with WTEC III controls.]
OK , thanks for that info . It would appear that what I though was a difference between VIM's in the WTEC II & III is probably a difference in wiring and modules from chassis manufacturers .
I've learned something today , so I guess it's time to quit, before I learn too much.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpenny1 View Post
I have a 2001 Alpine Coach with a Cummins Engine and an Allison Trans with no power to the pad. Which in turn does not allow me to start my engine. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TCM? Thank you.
May or may not refer to your problem. My transmission was not shifting correctly, I took it to Allison and the tech found that the engine signal to the transmission was shorted somewhere in the wiring bundle. So he ran a jumper wire to replace the bad wire and all has been well since then.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power