Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 8
No Power to trans

I have a 2001 Alpine Coach with a Cummins Engine and an Allison Trans with no power to the pad. Which in turn does not allow me to start my engine. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TCM? Thank you.
__________________

dillpenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gemert's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 882
There is usually a fuse under or around the pad. It is usually the fix for this type of problem.
__________________

__________________
Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
CoCoDave's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 1,250
This is not an uncommon problem. It's a long run from the chassis battery to the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) in most coaches, carrying the 12VDC power for the TCU.

Usually there are two wires, one for the positive and one for the negative 12 VDC (i.e. they don't typically use chassis ground for this) that run from the chassis battery posts, or nearby, to the VIM. The VIM is usually located near the shift selector. That could be in the exterior compartment below the driver's seat or in the void below the panel where the shift selector is located.

There are likely to be connectors of one kind or another in that wire run including how they are attached to the battery posts or distribution points nearby.

Here's an image of how Allison sees it.



FWIW
__________________
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
John Haggard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
This is not an uncommon problem. It's a long run from the chassis battery to the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) in most coaches, carrying the 12VDC power for the TCU.

Usually there are two wires, one for the positive and one for the negative 12 VDC (i.e. they don't typically use chassis ground for this) that run from the chassis battery posts, or nearby, to the VIM. The VIM is usually located near the shift selector. That could be in the exterior compartment below the driver's seat or in the void below the panel where the shift selector is located.

There are likely to be connectors of one kind or another in that wire run including how they are attached to the battery posts or distribution points nearby.

Here's an image of how Allison sees it.



FWIW
You should have 4 or 5 10 volt fuses in your battery box.
I goes to the transmission computer.
1 goes to the engine computer
1 goes to the fuel pump. Maybe.
1 goes to the engine computer and stays hot after the engine starts.

Check the fuses and the wires beyond the fuses 4 ft. For a butt
Connection that can come loose.

If you have no power to the transmission, the transmission can not talk to the engine and it will not start.
John Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 16,307
Your VIM may not look like the one in the diagram , that appears to be for the Allison WTEC II system and your 2001 should have the WTEC III system .
VIM might look similar to the one in the yellow circle in first picture .
Second picture has cover removed , this is a Freightliner with Cat VIM so with Cummins you may have way more fuses.
Third picture is an older VIM showing it's internal fuse.
There have been posts about a poor solder joint in the power supply wiring so important to run voltage checks too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	202728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	202729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AllisonTrans VIM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	202730  
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
CoCoDave's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your VIM may not look like the one in the diagram , that appears to be for the Allison WTEC II system and your 2001 should have the WTEC III system .
The diagram is from the Allison 3000/4000 WTEC III troubleshooting manual. Below is an image of the first page and the top bit of the second page from the manual. The diagram accurately reflects the configuration and appearance found in the three coaches we have owned with WTEC III controls.
************************************************** ************************************************** *****
__________________
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 16,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
The diagram is from the Allison 3000/4000 WTEC III troubleshooting manual. Below is an image of the first page and the top bit of the second page from the manual. The diagram accurately reflects the configuration and appearance found in the three coaches we have owned with WTEC III controls.]
OK , thanks for that info . It would appear that what I though was a difference between VIM's in the WTEC II & III is probably a difference in wiring and modules from chassis manufacturers .
I've learned something today , so I guess it's time to quit, before I learn too much.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
1ciderdog's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpenny1 View Post
I have a 2001 Alpine Coach with a Cummins Engine and an Allison Trans with no power to the pad. Which in turn does not allow me to start my engine. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TCM? Thank you.
May or may not refer to your problem. My transmission was not shifting correctly, I took it to Allison and the tech found that the engine signal to the transmission was shorted somewhere in the wiring bundle. So he ran a jumper wire to replace the bad wire and all has been well since then.
__________________

__________________
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 2015 RAM Limited 4X4
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shore power power not providing power to air conditioner jjhenley RV Systems & Appliances 6 06-21-2016 09:08 AM
Trans Light Ultra Power related? rednlh Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 4 04-20-2012 10:01 AM
Anyone replace rear seal on 4R100 Trans Houndog Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 1 02-06-2009 11:39 AM
Trans Filter? redboots Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 20 01-10-2009 08:43 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.