Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
No start with transmission warning symbol 2001 MADP

MH at an RV dealer for roof repair. No start with the little gear symbol and exclamination point. Not sure if one has anything to do with the other.
I am 150 miles away so cell conversation with service tec only info.
It is in a lot so no emergency but any info or thoughts would be welcome.
Allison six speed Cummins ISC 350 2001 MADP
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I probably should have posted this in the Allison forum.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moved to Allison forum
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ours would not start because of the Allison trans. Check to see if the shifter has 12V to it. It will not light up when the ignition is on if not.

It turned out the wire from the TCM (transmission control module) is broken somewhere from the back to the shifter. Any ignition switched 12V source will fix it. No need to run a new one all the way to the back or find the break if that is the problem. The tough part will be to figure out which wire it is.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
thanks.

Which wire is it?
Do you have the touch pad?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
thanks.

Which wire is it?
Do you have the touch pad?
I'm not sure which wire. The Allison tech ran a new one all the way from the back temporarily to get us going. He used a red wire so it was easy to figure out. There is some kind of code on the wiring harness but they all looked white to me so I guess they are marked some way.

We do have the touch pad. If yours lights up with the ignition switch on, that is probably not the problem.

The first thing I would try is to make sure the connectors on the shifter and the TCM are tight. I'm not sure where the TCM is on your coach but ours is hidden behind a door, passenger side, next to the radiator.

There also may be a fuse on the 12V supply to the TCM. Ours in an inline fuse holder connected right on the battery.

The Allison tech also told us the touch pad shifters almost never go bad. He said the only ones he has seen were on city buses that the window was left open and it rained on it repeatedly.

Allison is very protective with their diagnostic software so if it comes down to that you may not be able to find a non-Allison tech that can work on it. When ours first would not start Good Sam sent a roadside tech that cost us $300 to tell us we needed an Allison tech.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks again. All good to know.

So far not easy to find Allison tec info in the Binghamton area where the MH is sitting. Tomorrow we have to head out there and search up some on to take a look if clearing the codes does not do it.
It could also just be something old school like a starter solenoid etc. We dropped it off for some roof work and when they went to move it inside they had a "no start".

We have been through Cicero a number of times on rt. 11 I think was. We are west of Albany a bit. I guess we all know about snow but the Syracuse area always seems to get a little extra,
Old 07-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
when you say your mh wouldn't start do you mean it would not crank or that it would crank but not start?

Thanks any info.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I'm not sure which wire. The Allison tech ran a new one all the way from the back temporarily to get us going. He used a red wire so it was easy to figure out. There is some kind of code on the wiring harness but they all looked white to me so I guess they are marked some way.

We do have the touch pad. If yours lights up with the ignition switch on, that is probably not the problem.

The first thing I would try is to make sure the connectors on the shifter and the TCM are tight. I'm not sure where the TCM is on your coach but ours is hidden behind a door, passenger side, next to the radiator.

There also may be a fuse on the 12V supply to the TCM. Ours in an inline fuse holder connected right on the battery.

The Allison tech also told us the touch pad shifters almost never go bad. He said the only ones he has seen were on city buses that the window was left open and it rained on it repeatedly.

Allison is very protective with their diagnostic software so if it comes down to that you may not be able to find a non-Allison tech that can work on it. When ours first would not start Good Sam sent a roadside tech that cost us $300 to tell us we needed an Allison tech.
I would start with fuses.

If you have a display on your shift selector I would try to get any codes out. Push the up / down arrows simultaneously until you see D1 followed by 4 numbers. EG D12212. It seems as though you would have WTEC III transmission so your shifter would only have 1 red display. You will need to carefully write down what is being flashed out. It will be D1 then four numbers and will cycle through and start at D1 again. Once you have that code sorted, push the mode button and you may get D2. It will either be followed by four numbers or a -. if it has a code again write it down, and then mode button again. keep checking for codes until you get a -. When you get a D2,3,4 or 5 followed by a dash it means no more codes.

May be hard if you are not there. Indecently did anyone do any welding on the roof when they were repairing it?
Scotty1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for that.I did try to get the codes and to clear them. Not much luck. Hard to translate with the key pad I have. The warning light goes away when it is running, at least it did when it would start.
Spent a good while checking every fuse in the MH (my experience is that the lables on fuse locations may not be accurate. I checked the micro fuse labled "trans" in passenger side compartment forward of the rear wheel . it was ok and the it had power. I do have lights on the touch pad.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
I do have lights on the touch pad.
I replied to your PM. Ours did not have any lights so I don't think it can be the same problem.

Looks like the closest Allison service Penn Diesel in Syracuse from your home or where the MH is. Not real close either way.

Hope it is not the TCM, they are about a $1500 item.

The tech that worked on ours tried running a new power feed direct from the batteries to the TCM, no go. One problem I see is figuring out what wire is what without a diagram. He also had a special tool to crimp on the pins in the plug. He had tried a new TCM then after a long trip to get one a new shifter and neither one worked. It was like he was throwing parts at it.

If you end up having an Allison tech come out to the MH to diagnose it, ask them firmly to bring both a TCM and a shifter. We argued that we paid $135 an hour for a 7 hour round trip to get a part we did not need. We finally got a $700 credit after having Visa dispute the charge. This was Florida Detroit Diesel - Allison in Miami not Penn in Syracuse.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
HD4Mark
Thst's good advice on parts. Only place I called that made sense was Syracuse Allison, but they said it would have to be towed in because it would have to be put on a lift. Don't see why but we will see.
Appreciate your efforts.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Just to close this post, it turned out to be the starter. Starter went from OK to no go in 1/2 hour. Should have looked for simple first.

Tags
transmission