Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Reading the fluid/filter change charts correctly?

Good evening,
Am I interpreting the fluid/filter change charts correctly for the Allison 3000 transmission?
The way I read it whichever comes first. 36 months or 75000 miles on the filters and 48 months or 75000 miles on the fluid for general non severe duty.
If that is correct then I'm overdue. I did the initial 5000 mile change on the main filter and then drained the fluid and changed the main and lube filters at 31000 miles in 2009. Egads that means if I'm looking at it correctly then I'm 3 years past due on the filters and 2 years on the fluid event though currently I only have 72000 miles on the motorhome.
Would appreciate a confirmation on this is how you read it also or what I'm missing.
I guess I'm slipping, thought it was 75000 miles after the first fluid and filter change.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Reading the fluid/filter change charts correctly?

Yes, that is true if Transynd is in the transmission. I was over due by the numbers also, had my fluid tested at JG Lubricants and the test came back good. They said retest and monitor no immediate action required. My plan is to go ahead and change fluids and filters in the next couple of months regardless.

Edit: My fluid filters were done in 2009 also at 29,000 miles. Only have 52,000 now but way past time on years.

Steve
Old 07-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Good evening,
Am I interpreting the fluid/filter change charts correctly for the Allison 3000 transmission?
The way I read it whichever comes first. 36 months or 75000 miles on the filters and 48 months or 75000 miles on the fluid for general non severe duty.
If that is correct then I'm overdue. I did the initial 5000 mile change on the main filter and then drained the fluid and changed the main and lube filters at 31000 miles in 2009. Egads that means if I'm looking at it correctly then I'm 3 years past due on the filters and 2 years on the fluid event though currently I only have 72000 miles on the motorhome.
Would appreciate a confirmation on this is how you read it also or what I'm missing.
I guess I'm slipping, thought it was 75000 miles after the first fluid and filter change.

Yes, you're reading it correctly. If it were me, I would send a sample of the fluid to JG Lube Services. I'm guessing the fluid is fine. I would wait for the test results & then change the filters & top up if the fluid tests ok.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Yes, that is true if Transynd is in the transmission. I was over due by the numbers also, had my fluid tested at JG Lubricants and the test came back good. They said retest and monitor no immediate action required. My plan is to go ahead and change fluids and filters in the next couple of months regardless.

Steve
Spk64,
Thanks for confirming how you read it. The fluid was filled with Transynd at build and I used Transynd when I changed it.
Guess I need to read things a little closer. I'm going to order filters right away and pick up some more Transynd and I think have the current fluid tested to see if anything is showing up negative.
Thank you for the reply.
Keith
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Let us know how the results of the test. Would like to know if you had similar results for the extended time.

Steve
Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Spk64 and Steve Ownby,
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions to have JG lubricants do a analysis of the oil. Good idea being overdue that much.
I will search for JG Lubricants and see what the process is. Will post results when I get them.
Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Spk64 and Steve Ownby,
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions to have JG lubricants do a analysis of the oil. Good idea being overdue that much.
I will search for JG Lubricants and see what the process is. Will post results when I get them.
Thanks again.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html

The advanced kit is the one you need. You will need the sample pump also.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
JG Lubricant Services, LLC

The advanced kit is the one you need. You will need the sample pump also.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve,
Thanks for the link and information on what kit to get. Helps a lot.
I see your from Cosby. About12 years ago before we bought the motorhome my wife and I were looking at some property and a house just of Highway 32 or is it 321. Had a nice creek flowing in back of it.
Loved that area, well I guess it was the mountains. Hiked all over them. Tough one day stretch between Newfound Gap and Cosby campground. I was younger then. Probably a two day trip now. Well maybe three.
Anyway beautiful area.
Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Just keep in mind the fluid analysis shows the condition of the fluid. It does not tell how much filter life is left. The filters may be doing their job fabulously trapping dirt and debris and the fluid itself is still good.

The Allison filters are pretty tolerant to dirt. The aftermarket filters not so much. I have seen aftermarket filters sucked up against the control module because they were clogged and caused transmission problems.

So If I were doing it, I would change the filters on time and use fluid analysis to keep track of the fluid condition. Just an opinion.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid