Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #15

One of the reason I like just having a floor switch for our exhaust brake. It only activates when I step on it and disengages when I let off. Don't mind it down shifting to 2nd. It was a learning curve to remember when to use it. Also had the switch moved from up under the dash to on the floor next to the heel of my foot

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #16

I had Allison dealer reprogram my ECM to downshift to 4th when exh brake comes. Works much nicer especially here in Co where we run down hill for long periods at higher speeds.
Ron D

Old 04-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #17

Is it possible to have the Mode Button programed to allow the downshift/remain in the gear selected to "toggle"? When going down a long grade, there are times that I like to just hold the gear that I am in and other times I really appreciate the automatic down shift. Since I do not use the Economy Mode, it would seem that the Mode Button could be an easy way for the driver to select the Mode most appropriate to our driving conditions. JH
Old 04-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micpib1 View Post
Is it possible to have the Mode Button programed to allow the downshift/remain in the gear selected to "toggle"? When going down a long grade, there are times that I like to just hold the gear that I am in and other times I really appreciate the automatic down shift. Since I do not use the Economy Mode, it would seem that the Mode Button could be an easy way for the driver to select the Mode most appropriate to our driving conditions. JH
No, to your question. All Allisons have a downshift program in them based on speed/RPM. In the program, you can select the "Target gear" , 1,2,3,4,5 or stay in 6th gear.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #19

Thanks, it was just a thought. JH
Old 04-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #20

when i turn on the pacbrake, the trans gear will be shifted to 4th. i found that is adequate. if it were to 2nd, the engine rpm would be too high reaching the yellow or red zone quickly, you would have to apply the brake to slow your rig down; sometimes it would be too slow you won't like.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #21

It will not over rev the engine. My C9 with PAC brake and now my ISX with engine brake were/are programmed to downshift to 3rd-eventually. It will go to 5th immediately, then downshift as it can.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 04-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
This is factory set up in the Allison Transmission control module........you can have it re-programmed at a dealer to suit your wishes/needs. I had mine reprogrammed to stay in 6th. I did not like the auto-downshift.

I also had Allison change the programming on our coach so it does NOT automatically downshift when the Jake Brake is on. This was absolutely the Best mod I've done on this motor home since we bought the coach. I control whether I get maximum braking by manually downshifting or just let it ride as I gently slow down for an off ramp or traffic light. No more slamming into 4th gear at 55 mph.

If you ask Freightliner about this, they will tell you that they program the transmission to downshift to second gear because they assume that a non-professional motor home driver doesn't know how to properly use a Jake Brake. I preferred learning the right way to use it rather than accepting that I was too dumb to use it correctly.

Tags
brake, engine, transmission