Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #1

So can I use Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF in my 1000

Ok, I did read through the 10,000 posts regarding synthetic transmission fluid.
I want to change my fluid in my 04 Adventurer with synthetic. Looking at both Allison's website along with Mobil's website it looks to me that I can use Mobile Delvac Synthetic ATF in my transmission.. Is this true?

So what does this message board say?

Link to Allison and to Mobil websites with the information.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #2

Yes Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF is TES-295 approved by Allison. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is not.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. When I had my Allison recently serviced at the Freightliner service center in Gaffney, SC, they used Mobil Delvac synthetic ATF in the tranny instead of Transynd.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Go Mobile
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

I went with the Mobil Delvac in my recent self change. It is TES 295 approved and usually can be found cheaper than the Transynd. As stated above, the Mobil 1 synthetic is not TES 295 approved.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I read more on both the Allison and Mobil website.. Looks like I can use either one and know it's correct.

Now to do some cost comparisons.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Try https://www.rvchassisparts.com for Transynd. Currently $38 gallon
Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #8

So today I received my Koni shocks from Brazel's RV, while I was on the phone with them I inquired about transmission filters. They sent me a spin on filter, internal filter and transmission pan.

So how many of you drop the pan when changing the fluid?

Not that I mind doing this (I was a mechanic for 10 years in a past life).. but is there any downside?

I also got four gallons of Mobil that we mentioned in previous posts..
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I would drop the pan.. for the normal reasons: gives access to the internal filter and allows you to see/inspect/clean any particles that my be in the pan, inspect the valve body, etc..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

Just getting to the point that I am changing the transmission fluid on Sunday, and a lot of investigating to resolve all my questions and concerns. (Thank you Mike Canter!) Yes, Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF is Allison / TES-295 approved. I just paid $42 per gallon, and I'm sure most here pay less than that.

Allison Transmission

You can drop the pan and replace the internal filter for a more complete inspection, though looking through the Allison website, it's not actually required unless you're doing a transmission overhaul. I thought about doing just that, but decided to wait until I have a lot more miles on my motorhome. Just don't want to risk the damage to the gasket, and no one had a replacement in stock.

Another suggestion: do not lose the magnet disc that is on the top of filter. I wanted to get one as a spare, as it frequently is thrown out by mistake on a previous fluid change. Most of the places I called didn't even have knowledge of the magnet, and no one could get one, other than 2 or 3 weeks out.

I came across this information on the Internet, though I have not verified it for any errors/misinformation.

Allison Transmission Part Numbers

#29539579 - Standard Spin On - This is the Allison filter spec'd for your transmission. Around 1/4 the price of the Local GM Dealer cost at your local Allison dealer. Be sure to keep and re-use the circular magnet that sits inside the filter. If yours does not have one, see below...

#29535617 - Filter magnet - A circular magnet used inside, on top, of the spin on filter.

#29536522 - Allison Deep Pan - A nice upgrade for those who are using the shallow pan. Holds about a gallon more fluid, keeps the oil temperature lower and possibly extend your fluid change intervals.

#29537966 - Allison Deep Pan Filter - Allison internal filter that is inside your deep transmission pan, used on larger vehicles.

#29537965 - Allison Shallow Pan Filter - Allison internal filter that is inside most GM trucks, inside your shallow transmission pan.

#29536526 - Pan gasket

-RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I switched over to syn. fluid and got a externaly finned deep alumn. pan from PAC Trans which adds 3 1/2 more qts capacity. I have a Dophin 5355 and pull a 24 " Pace car trailer @ 9600 gross weight, with a total MH and trailer weight of around 31,000 #s. Last Dec I came back from a 6,500 mile trip up the East coast , over to the Mid-West and then back to Florida through eastern Tenn. way. So I saw some pretty big hills and my trans temp. never got over 190, except one time I hit a big one in West Virgina and it did get to 230 degress just as I topped the mountain! I pulled over right away and rev the engine to 1,000 rpms until the temp got down below 200. Usually on the flat trans. temp never goes over 120-130 degress. I take the temp. reading at pan, at the lowest part of the sump which is usually 20 degrees cooler than the temp of the fluid in a cooler line.

Take a suggestion I got from someone on here and if you can let the MH sit for four or five weeks without starting the engine the converter will drain competely, therefore getting most if not all of the regular trans fluid out. That is why I had to put 16 qts in. If you do not get all of the fluid which is 16 qts, Allison says you must drain again in 10,000 miles, change the spin on filter, and add syn fluid again, which would cost you more $$$$$$$$$$.
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebw31 View Post
I switched over to syn. fluid and got a externaly finned deep alumn. pan from PAC Trans which adds 3 1/2 more qts capacity. I have a Dophin 5355 and pull a 24 " Pace car trailer @ 9600 gross weight, with a total MH and trailer weight of around 31,000 #s. Last Dec I came back from a 6,500 mile trip up the East coast , over to the Mid-West and then back to Florida through eastern Tenn. way. So I saw some pretty big hills and my trans temp. never got over 190, except one time I hit a big one in West Virgina and it did get to 230 degress just as I topped the mountain! I pulled over right away and rev the engine to 1,000 rpms until the temp got down below 200. Usually on the flat trans. temp never goes over 120-130 degress. I take the temp. reading at pan, at the lowest part of the sump which is usually 20 degrees cooler than the temp of the fluid in a cooler line.
Running the fluid at too low a temp is almost as bad as too high for the trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebw31 View Post
Take a suggestion I got from someone on here and if you can let the MH sit for four or five weeks without starting the engine the converter will drain competely, therefore getting most if not all of the regular trans fluid out. That is why I had to put 16 qts in. If you do not get all of the fluid which is 16 qts, Allison says you must drain again in 10,000 miles, change the spin on filter, and add syn fluid again, which would cost you more $$$$$$$$$$.
And the double change is the only method approved by Cummins when changing to TranSynd.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And the double change is the only method approved by Cummins when changing to TranSynd.
Just curious as to why Cummins would need to approve something for the Allison tranny
Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Running the fluid at too low a temp is almost as bad as too high for the trans.
I would like to see a link or some kind of documentation for this from any transmission manufacturer.