Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To flush or not to flush

160K on the clock of my ol girl. I’ve owned it for little over a year. The transmission shifts beautifully, no leaks or foul smelling oil. It doesn’t overheat, but there’s no record of the oil ever being changed[emoji15]Thoughts?

Moe
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have never flushed, but I change my fluid regularly. Nearly 300,000 miles on a 95 K2500 Suburban and it's still going strong.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Flush

We’re preventative maintenance people. When we got our 2000 as the third owners, we went through the receipts that we could find. Preferring to nip any potential problems in the bud, we flushed and changed the transmission filter. They found that the wrong pan had been put on at some point in the past, and put on incorrectly to boot. Probably saved ourselves hundred$ if not thousand$ including breakdown costs etc.
We also changed out the rad hoses, heater hoses, shocks, brakes, tires (aged out and worn) and numerous other things.
Starting at “zero” unknown is peace of mind for us...
We also created a spreadsheet of all available receipts and entered them chronologically and now we can anticipate future maintenance requirements with some degree of confidence.

Our advice would be to spend small now instead of spending large later. Knowing what you have gives you great peace of mind. Maintenance documentation also slightly adds to resale value down the road.

Cheers! Safe travels!

DJ & BJ
Old 04-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_1345 View Post
160K on the clock of my ol girl. I’ve owned it for little over a year. The transmission shifts beautifully, no leaks or foul smelling oil. It doesn’t overheat, but there’s no record of the oil ever being changed[emoji15]Thoughts?

Moe

A good idea would be to pull a sample and have it analyzed by someone like blackstone labs. For $30 they can tell you exactly what shape your fluid is in, and maybe even what kind it is (regular dexron vs a TES-295 fluid like Transynd). There's also a guy in the Allison Transmission forum here at IRV2 who can analyze your fluid. Here is his thread... he can answer lots of questions. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...tml#post830153

After it's analyzed you will be able to tell whether it needs replaced or not... if it's still good, you should probably figure on changing the filters regardless, that is if you have no service records from the previous owner as to when that may have been done.

We did a double drain and refill on our MD3060 allison over the course of a couple years using a synthetic TES-295 fluid. Takes 18 quarts to drain and refill, but there is still something like 10 quarts left in the torque converter. Doing this twice gets you to 88% synthetic oil... Once you have the good fluid in the tranny, you only need to change the filters regularly and top off the oil for something like 150,000 miles or more on a 3000 series transmission. It's a few hundred dollars for one oil change if you do it yourself... I don't know what it would cost to have someone do it for you, but it's a good investment.

I don't believe Allison recommends any type of "flush" other than a double drain and refill.

Just my $.02

cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote